Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 17 years old and want to move out of my parents house without their permission.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 years old and want to move out of my parents house without their permission.

Hi, I'm Myranda and I love in California. I do not like the household I live in. I constantly feel like a problem and a burden and feel like I get in the way. I feel like an outcast and am constantly locking myself in my room to avoid those emtions. It rarely helps. So, I thought about running away/ moving out without my parent's permission. I have good grades, and I deal with the stress of watching my younger siblings and extracurricular activites that I'm involved in. I will run away with my 18 year old boyfriend when he goes off to college after he graduates. He said he would take me with him and we would find a place to live and I can transfer schools to be able to experience my senior year. But, to be able to transfer, I need consent. Could my boyfriend be considered a guardian since he is legally an adult?
    When I run away, I'll go to school and get a parrt time job to help keep us both afloat. And obvously he would too get a job and go to school. We won't have much. But I want out. It's driving me crazy.
    When I do happen to run away, will my parents call the cops? Will they make me go home?
    And if I do somehow get thr papers okayed for being transferred to a new school, will the school contact my parents?
    I've done a lot of research. And I'm prepared to leave.

RE: I'm 17 years old and want to move out of my parents house without their permissio

Hello Myranda,

Thank you for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time right now, and we are sorry to hear that you feel like a burden and an outcast. That must be really stressful. It is understandable that you are looking for a way out of this situation. We are here to listen and support you in any way that you can, and we might be able to help you figure out what your best options are and help you find resources.

It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into running away. If you leave home, your parents can report you as a runaway, which means that the police might pick you up and make you go back home. You might be able to enroll in a new school, but it is likely to be difficult, and they might contact your parents. Your boyfriend cannot sign anything for you even though he is over 18. You will not be able to sign a lease or any contracts to get an apartment until you turn 18. It was really smart of you to do your research and take time to ask us questions. If you have more questions, or you want help thinking of a plan, please give us a call 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us online on www.1800RUNAWAY.org every day between 4:30pm and 11:30pm CST. We are looking forward to hearing from you, and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Like I said before, my boyfriend is 18. I'm sure he'd be able to sign the contract(s) to be able to own/rent the apartment that we have looked at?
      I'm thinking about getting my GED once I turn 18. I'm not a bad student. I have a 4.0 Gpa at the moment.

Comment

Re: I'm 17 years old and want to move out of my parents house without their permissio

Thanks for contacting us again. It sounds like you are trying to make a good plan for yourself and take everything into consideration which is great. At 18 your boyfriend may be able to sign a lease, it's usually going to be dependent on the specific apartment guidelines as far as if he needs a cosigner or not. It also sounds like you have a backup plan of getting your GED once you turn 18 if you aren't able to enroll back in school for senior year.

Please remember that we are always here if you would like to talk through this situation more in depth. We are confidential and anonymous and there is always someone available to talk through options and even find helpful resources in your area. Feel free to call us anytime, 24/7, at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or reach out through our live chat available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. There is always someone here to listen and here to help.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

need out now!

My names Desiree and I live in Oklahoma with my parents I just recently found out I miscarried the twins I was pregnant with and due to the stressful environment I live in could have been what caused it. I am constantly verbally abused, and threatened if I try to leave I'm only 17... my boyfriend has a house, a great job, and wants me to move in with him. Every time I bring up the idea though my parents threaten to press statory rape charges even though they have given him consent, let him stay at our home ect. Another problem is my father is barely able to afford the bills and provide for our family and my mother isn't healthy enough to be able to be considered to take care of me or help provide for our family.i need out now I just need to know how to go about it the right way.

Comment

Re: need out now!

Hi there,

If you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.

Stay safe,
            NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

I want out before it gets worse.

I'm 17 turning 18 in november and my parents yell at me and my sister for everything. Sometimes it gets physical and mom and my sister or mom and I get into physical interactions I don't want to hurt her but I can't control my anger anymore. I wrote death notes about them and myself. I used to cut but have resorted to smoking instead I still cut when it gets bad. I want to leave and stop hurting could I move into a place with my 19 year old sister? I'm not in school and we both have jobs along with her boyfriend who is 23.I don't want to live anymore because of my parents but I don't want to get my brothers put into foster care. what can I do?

Comment

re: I want out before it gets worse.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out tonight and sharing your story with us. It sounds like you are feeling really overwhelmed with everything that is going on at home. You don’t deserve to be treated that way by your mom. It sounds like you are trying to put together a plan so that you are safe and so that you are able to protect yourself. That is incredibly smart. It was brave of you to reach out tonight, so let’s see how we can help you out.

Sometimes getting legal information can be helpful for people when they are trying to figure out what their next steps might be. We’re not legal experts, here but we are able to speak generally as to what might happen if you leave without your mom’s permission. If you go to live with your sister before you are 18, your mom would have the right to file a runaway report with the police. If the police take the report, then they could search for you and send you back home. They could send you back all the way until you turn 18.

Now, in many places if you are only one month away from turning 18 and there is no risk of you not going to school, the police would still take a report, but they would not look for you and they would not make you go back home. You can always call your local police department (just google “my local police department non emergency number) and ask them how they might respond to a 17 year old who leaves home without their guardian’s permission.

You also mentioned that you are feeling really low. It’s understandable that you are feeling so overwhelmed. It sounds like a really stressful situation. Everyone copes with stress in a lot of different ways and some ways are safer than others. There are a couple resources that might help you put together ways to be safe while you cope. One resource is the National Suicide Hotline. You can call them 24 hours a day for any kind of support at 1-800-273-8255. You can also chat with them at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org until 2.00am Eastern Time. Another good place to check out is www.twloha.org. They are a website that offers to support to people that are thinking about and feeling a lot of the same things that you are feeling. It sounds like you already know how to reach out for support, so these might be a good next step for you.

We hope that this is helpful for you. If you want to talk through anything else at all or want help reaching out to the police department, please call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). If calling isn’t your thing, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time. We are confidential and anonymous and are here to support you through all of this. We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS

Comment

I'm 17 years old and have questions

I'm 17 year old girl that lives in Pa, I'm staying with a caregiver, but is constantly wanting to throw me out, I just want to get on my own, I talked to my children and youth caseworker about getting a job and they said they don't think it would be a good idea because they want me to do some programs first, I already go to counseling which I don't technically need, I do everything they want me to do, all I want is a part time job didn't think it would kill me if it was just a part time job, I go to school, I'm a senior, I just feel like I'm going to be stuck once I turn 18, also my caregiver receives kinship and gets paid close to 800$ a month but don't get me nothing out of it, my boyfriend buys me everything I need, which makes me feel awkward cause I should be doing it on my own but how am I post to when I can even work ? I was wondering if there was a way to claim independent at my age , and also I receive Survival benefits which Is 940$ a month, I think would be able to make it on my own with that and a part time job.

Comment

Re: I'm 17 yrs old and have questions

Hello –

Thanks for contacting us and telling us a bit about your situation. You mentioned that you are 17 but it sounds like you are not too thrilled about where you are currently living. The person caring for you is always talking about throwing you out and you are trying to think ahead about what you can do when you do turn 18 or if you can leave before then. You mentioned that you spoke with your caseworker about getting a part time job and nobody is supporting you in that. Do you need the permission of your caseworker to get a job or is that something you can look into on your own? You mentioned that you already receive some benefits so it’s good to hear you have a little bit of a back up but it’s understandable you would like to become more independent. If you are concerned with your caregiver kicking you out it may be a good option to discuss those specific concerns with caseworker if you haven't already.

It also sounds like you would like to legally be on your own but unsure how to do so. Most states do have an emancipation process that involves going through the courts to basically become your own guardian. One thing to consider is how close you are to being 18 because sometimes that process can take some time so you may be 18 before an emancipation petition is filed. If you are interested in speaking with someone about that we did find a legal resource in PA that may be able to help.

Youth Advocate – 814-849-1237

If you would like to talk through more options or need additional resources please contact us directly at our 24 hour hotline or through live chat. Our services are confidential and anonymous and there is always someone here to listen and here to help.

Comment

I want to move out without parrents permission when I trun 18 can is do that?

I'm turning 18 next year and I want to move out of my parrents home without their permission , I've thaught about this for months now I need help . Can they find any way to force me to move back , I mean do they have the right to do that . My boyfriend is turning 21 and I want to move in with him when I turn 18 , is all this possible , please help me ...

Comment

RE: I want to move out without parrents permission when I trun 18 can is do that?

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. You should know that once you turn 18, you are legally considered an adult. This means that you do not need your parents’ permission to move in with your boyfriend, and you would not be considered a runaway. Your parents cannot force you to come home or tell you where you can live. However, even though you have a legal right to move out, it sounds like this could cause conflict or damage your relationship with your parents. Have you tried talking to them about your plans? Do you rely on your parents for financial support, and if so have you made a plan for how you can support yourself after leaving? It sounds like you are in a tough situation, and if you want to talk more about your plans, don’t hesitate to call or chat with us. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can.

Comment

Hi

I am 17 and I am 5 months pregnant and I feel like my mom don't won't me home so can I run away or leave her house without her permission

Comment

Re: Hi

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been through a lot and we are here to help you out the best that we can.

You shared with us that you are 17 and you are pregnant, and you feel like your mom does not want you at home. This has got to be a really difficult thing to be feeling in itself, but especially when you have another life to care for soon. Have you been going to the doctor during your pregnancy? This is certainly a lot to take on, and we want to make sure you are getting all the assistance that you may need or want. If you need help locating any type of resources or advice during your pregnancy, one option you have is to call Planned Parenthood at (800) 230 7526.

We want to let you know we are not legal experts here, but generally speaking if you leave home without consent from your legal guardian, it is technically considered running away, which means your guardian has the right to make a runaway report. It sounds like you think that your mom does not want you to be at home, is there something specific going on that makes you feel that way? Do you think that she would be open to letting you live elsewhere? Running away is not illegal, it is a status offense and that just means that if your guardian makes a runaway report, and the police find you, they just bring you back home. Do you have a safe place in mind that you would be able to go to, either with family or friends?

We are not here to tell you what to do, because you know your situation better than we do. We are not going to tell you whether you should leave or stay home, only you can make that decision. We just want to make sure that you are safe in whatever steps you decide to take. We are here to help work through your options with you. Our chat is available from 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST, and our hotline is available 24/7 and is anonymous and confidential at 1800runaway.

We are here to support you. If you would like to talk further, explore more options or just simply need a listening ear, we are here.

Good luck and stay safe,
                            NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

I need to leave my house

I just turned 18 can I go live with my best friend and her mom with out my mother calling the cops on me?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X