My friend wants to run away to me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend wants to run away to me

So my friend wants to run away from home and come live with me we are both 16 and she gets bullied at school and she doesn't like living with either of her parents and she also dislikes her home town. I was wondering how legal the whole situation is. She lives in California and I live in Oregon. Please reply, thank you.

RE: My friend wants to run away to me

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like your friend is in a difficult situation. Because she is 16, her parents would have the right to file a runaway report if she left home without permission. If her parents choose to file a runaway report, the police might look for her and if they find her they will probably return her to her legal guardians. If you live with your parents and your friend is found to be staying at your house without her parent's permission, there is a chance that your parents could be charged with harboring a runaway. We cannot give any of these answers with certainty though as laws vary from state to state and police departments and their procedures also vary from state to state. If you would like to get more information you can feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30 PM CST through our website at www.1800runaway.org. We hope that this gives you some clarity and that you will reach out to us if you need anything else.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

She is 10 1/2

My friend is named Savannah and she is 10 and she wants me to run away with her,we live beside each other and my nini(grandmother) says if she does we will take care of her,what should I do?

Comment

Re: She is 10 1/2

Hi, and thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you're concerned for your friend and trying to help her, which is a good thing. Now, we're not legal experts, so we can't offer any legal advice, but it's possible that if your grandmother took Savannah in, she could be charged with the crime of harboring a runaway. If Savannah is currently in an abusive situation, we could help you or her to file a child abuse report, or file a report on her behalf. You could also give our number (1-800-786-2929) to Savannah - we are 24/7 and would be happy to talk with her about her situation and what she can do about it at any time. We hope this is helpful! If you want to talk more about this, feel free to give us a call.

- NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

My Friend, she wants to run away because she feels unwanted. She wants me to come with her but I'm not sure I should. I have no idea where we'd go though. I tried saying my mom could adopt her and we'd be happy but she said my mom wouldn't take her in. I told my mom but I don't know what else to do. Please help! Before it's too late!! D:

Comment

• ccsmod15
            ccsmod15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello there,

Thank you so much for reaching out. It sounds like you're in a tricky situation, and we are so sorry to hear that your friend is in a position where she feels unwanted.

Running away is a big decision. Your concern about finding a place to stay is valid; it is challenging for runaway youth to find safe shelter. Should you be in that position, you can give us a call to help you find resources at 1-800-786-2929. Just so you know, running away is a status offense and if your friend is a minor and chooses to go, the police may look for them but they will not get in trouble. We encourage you and your friend to consider your options. You can give us a call and discuss your situation at length (our hotline is 24/7 and totally confidential). We also have a conference call service that involves us speaking with you and your parent/guardian as a neutral third party, which might be helpful for you or your friend to sort through issues with your guardians. We could also help you explain the full situation to your mom, which may help since you are considering having your friend stay with you.

Again, thanks so much for getting in touch. It can be hard to take the first step and we're glad you did. Feel free to give us a call; we're here to listen, here to help!

NRS

Hello my friend is having a very rough time and her parents are being very unnessicarly mean to her and she wants to run away to live with me what should I do?

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, thank you so much for reaching out. It sounds like your friend is going through a difficult time and that you care a lot about her.

You mentioned that your friend wants to run away to live with you and you want to know what you should do. First off, here at the National Runaway Safeline we are non-directive, meaning we won’t tell you what to do. You are the expert of your own situation and probably know what’s going on better than we do. We are not legal experts, but if your friend is considering running away, there are a few things she may want to keep in mind. Running away itself is not technically illegal, but it is considered a status offense if a minor leaves the home of a parent/guardian. This means that if a parent or guardian files a runaway report with the police, then the police will return the runaway youth to their home if found. However, depending on your friend’s age, a legal adult is not required to stay at home and can leave at any time. The age of majority is 18 in most states, but varies from state to state. You can visit https://sexetc.org/action-center/sex-in-the-states/ to see what the age is in your state. Another consideration for if your friend ran away to live with you is that you and your parents/guardians could be charged with harboring a runaway, if a runaway report is filed. Other places your friend could go is a local shelter. You can pass along our information to your friend and we can try and find a shelter that would be a good fit for her.

Given these considerations, do you think your friend still wants to run away? Is there anyone she is close with that she can confide in about her frustrations with her mom? You can encourage your friend to call or chat us here. We would be happy to conference call with your friend and her mom to talk about how things can be better with their relationship at home. We can also help find an affordable counselor or therapist in your location who may be able to help.

It sounds like you care about your friend and want the best for them and we are really glad you reached out to us. If you or your friend would like to talk further about your situation, feel free to call or chat us. Good luck!

My friends name is Aureana. We both are 12 years old and she wants to run away to me. She told me that her stepdad pushed her on the ground really hard. I don’t know if that is just hard punishment or abuse. I’m scared that my parents or I will get in trouble for harboring a runaway. What should I do?

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

It sounds like your friend is in a really hard situation and we want you to know that no one deserves to be mistreated at home. You can let them know that if they want advice on abuse reporting then they can contact the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or call the police if they are in immediate danger. Calling the hotline could give them more information and what their rights are within their situation.

You are right that there could be the possibility of your parents getting in trouble for harboring minor. We are not legal experts, but if you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could walk through your options with you and how you could help her. You can also give her our number so we can help her in that way as well.

Don't hesitate to give us a call and be safe,

NRS

Comment

My internet friend has run away and I couldnt convinve her otherwise. Will i get in trouble for giving her advice on how to stay hidden from her foster carer? She is with her mum but im not sure if so can be considered a run away but he police are out searching for her

Comment

• ccsmod3
                ccsmod3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you are really concerned about your friend. Without all the details it is hard to know whether your friend would be considered a runaway. Basically, a runaway is someone who has left their legal guardian without permission and is under 18 (in a few states its 17). So whether your friend would be considered a runaway depends on whether her mum is a legal guardian for her. Usually what that means is that the guardians will file a runaway report and the police could try to bring your friend back to her guardians.

In terms of whether or not you could get in trouble – we are not legal experts here. However, to the best of our knowledge you can’t get in trouble for giving your friend advice. If you have more questions or would like to talk more please give our hotline a call. It is 24
                hours, 7 days a week and totally confidential. That number is 1-800-786-2929. You can also chat with us through the website. You could also give our number or website to your friend. It sounds like she is in a tough situation and you are doing your best to help her stay safe.

We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

-NRS

My friend wants to run away and come live with me since she feels guilty and unwanted. I am 10 and she is 12.
              I live in Michigan and she lives in Illinois. Is this ok? She said she will take an Uber or something and then a ferry over Lake Michigan and I will pick her up with my parents there and we will drive home and she will live with us. Sorta don’t know what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod10
                ccsmod10 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you care a lot about your friend and hopefully we can help answer the questions you had. We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your friends parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring them home. You and your family could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Meaning getting in trouble for having your friend stay there without her parents’ permission. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

If your friend does not feel safe at home and feels like they need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for them to meet a staff member who can take them to a designated place where they can discuss all options about how to stay safe. They can text 44357 the word “safe,” and their location to find a safe location in your area. Once they arrive let someone who works there know they need help connecting with a staff member.

We would love to talk more about the details of your friend’s situation so that we can work towards a solution they find acceptable. If you or your friend would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline at 1-800Runaway (786-2929) or use our live chat. We hope this information was helpful and take care.
            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X