16 in South Carolina.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 in South Carolina.

I'm 16 and I live in South Carolina. I know for a fact that I can legally move out of my parents home at 17. Which is what I plan on doing. I don't want to move out and not know what to do, though. I have friends who have offered to room with me. So I wouldn't be all alone to pay bills. I have a car but it's in my dads name and he wont let me take it. He said that if I move out, he wants me to go through hell so I can realize how "great" I had it at home. (It's not that great. My dad told me that he doesn't give a single f**k about me, that he doesn't care what I do with my life. And then he smacked me. Not hard enough to leave a big mark, but hard enough to hurt.) So, what should I calculate into my expenses? I will have a job by the time I turn 17 in five months. If I am going to make this leap into adulthood, I want to do it responsibly. What should I take into consideration?

Re: 16 in South Carolina.

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us. We're sorry to hear that your dad hit you, you definitely don't deserve to have anyone hurt you. Your plan to leave seems like a good way to keep yourself safe, and it sounds like you are really responsible and are willing to do as much as you can to make this transition go smoothly.
    As far as what you should be calculating for your future expenses, we don't have specific information regarding that. However, there are a lot of living expense calculators on the internet, one google search gave this resource, http://livingwage.mit.edu/, which may help you think through what typical expenses to expect in your area. Another thing to think about is what rights you have working as a minor. The U.S. department of labor's website (http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthlabor/) provides information on that, and points out some things that you should keep in mind when entering the workforce.

Hopefully these websites provide you with a starting point in figuring out your expenses and what you need to consider when moving out. You are obviously really mature and it seems like you are going to make sure that you are prepared for this next step. If ever you need to talk or want other resources, you can call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY, or live chat with us 4:30pm-11:30pm CST at www.1800runaway.org.
    Good luck with everything!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I just turned 16 and I’m getting legally adopted in about 2 months or less (The adoption will be finalized). I have a boyfriend that wants me to move in. He lives right beside my high school so school won’t be an issue. I also have a good job. When I’m 17 will I be able to move out even if I’m adopted? Also what steps would I have to do to take to move out easy.

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. It's smart to ask questions like that before deciding what to do.

Generally you are considered a legal adult once you turn 18 and can make you own life decisions. Since you are getting adopted, the folks who adopt you are technically your legal guardians until you turn 18. You can live anywhere safe with their permission, however, they can file a runaway report for you with local police if you leave home without permission.The easiest way for you to move out before 18 is with their permission. There is also emancipation if you are interested in attempting to become a legal adult before you turn 18. Emancipation laws vary state by state, and is a longer court process where you would prove to a judge that you are financially self-sufficient and stable enough to become an adult early. Please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you are interested in getting information on your state's law.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation or if you need support. We are here to listen here to help.

Best,

NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think.

What are some things I will be allowed to do when I’m 17? Like would I allowed to leave the house without my mothers permission? Also like money wise would I be able to open bank accounts?

Comment

Thanks for reaching out. It’s great that you are trying to figure out what next steps are available to you. We are not legal experts, but speaking in general, youth under 18 need to live with their guardians. It can be a little tricky at the age of 17, but there are some cases in which a police officer won't take a runaway report for someone that is 17. Especially if there are a little closer to turning 18 years old, along with having already graduated high school. This is not the case all the time of course, but it is something that we have heard of happening before. But something to keep in mind is that though a police officer doesn't take a report it doesn't make it legal for minors to leave home before turning 18; which is the legal age of majority in most states. Guardians can lose their guardianship if they are neglectful or abusive. If you might be dealing with a situation like that, you can explore your options by calling Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. You can call anonymously, so you don’t have to commit to filing an abuse report. And our understanding is that youth under 18 cannot open bank accounts either.

Feel free to call us to talk through your options further. Everyone deserves to be in a safe and supportive environment, and youth often have to work with kind of constraints like these.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I just turned 16 and my grandma has custody over me but i live with my mom but I don't want to love with her anymore but she wont let me go live with my grandma my grandma already said it was ok but my mom wont let me if I runaway is there anything my mom would be able to do to stop me?

Comment

• ccsmod11
            ccsmod11 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us to help you decide about this situation. It sounds like you’re going through a lot at home and are thinking of leaving. This is surely a difficult time for you, and we’re sure you’ve been enduring a lot. Hopefully we can help.

Because you are under the age of 18, you are considered a minor in every state across the U.S. We’re not legal experts, so what we tell you may not apply in your community, even if it applies in most of the U.S. Usually, if a runaway report is filed on a youth, the police are authorized to search for the youth and return them home. In most parts of the U.S., running away is not illegal and won’t result in a youth getting arrested or fined. Adults who you stay with could be charged for harboring a runaway, which is a very rare charge, but a charge you may want to know about. Penalties for this charge vary widely across the U.S.

Hopefully this helped. Thanks so much for reaching out to us. If you have any questions or want to talk more, please call us at 1-800-786-2929.

Best,
            NRS

so right now im fifteen and i wont be sixteen till the summer time but ive wanted to leave my home since i was about the age of 7. i honestly dont know what to do at this point but i do know i need to get some money and get out. this summer after i turn sixteen i plan on getting a job and starting to save up for when im seventeen. once i turn seventeen , get a decent amount saved up, and graduate high school do you think in the state of south Carolina i can move out? i will be only a few months from turning 18 at the time. i want to make sure i have a decent enough plan for when i leave because i know i cant leave right now at this moment.sadly and i just cant wait to leave asap

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello,

We are so glad you reached out. It sounds like you’ve had a difficult time living at home, and it is not okay for your mom to yell at you and say bad things to you. You deserve to be safe at home. If you feel you have been abused, you may want to call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 to report that.We are not legal experts, but usually it’s not against the law to run away. It’s what’s considered a “status offense,” which means if the police find you they will typically return you to your parents’ home, but you won’t be charged with a crime. If you’ve been abused at home, you can tell the police you are not safe at home and they shouldn’t return you to the home, but they may not allow you to stay where you are.

Technically, if you are living somewhere with someone over 18 years old, they can be guilty of a crime called “harboring a runaway.” It’s unusual for this crime to be charged, but it can happen. If you should decide to live with your friend, you may want to mention this to her parents so they’re aware of the risk.There may be other options to consider, as well. If you can get your parents’ permission to stay somewhere else, that is usually okay. Sometimes parents will give permission for you to stay with a different family member, maybe a grandparent or aunt/uncle.

It also sounds like this difficult situation is wearing on your mental status. You may want to consider getting some mental help by contacting SAMHSA at 1-877-726-4727 or samhsa.gov. Some mental health services can help you reach a good mental state so that you can navigate these difficult decisions and conflicts.

Again, we’re really glad that you reached out. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help and you’re looking into your options and that’s good to see. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We’re here to listen, here to help.

Hey I’m 16 can I move out

Comment

• ccsmod3
            ccsmod3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi,
            Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re trying to get some information to make some big choices. We aren’t legal experts, but we can help you think about general options for you as a 16 year old. We also want to make sure that you are safe where you are and with whatever choice you make. If you were to leave home without permission, and since you are a minor, your legal guardians could file a runaway report to bring you home. Depending on the state you live in, emancipation is also an option. It is often a lengthy process (around 6+ months), but that would allow you to legally leave home. Generally you’d have to show that you can support yourself through school and financially. Other options to consider are to talk to a trusted adult you could stay with, and with your guardians’ permission you could stay there long-term.

If you have more questions or want to talk through these options, please don’t hesitate to call or chat with us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (-786-2929). We are here to support you with whatever you decide you want to do.

-NRS

Can you move out of the state at 16 if your have somebody to live with who will help support and pay bills? Sort of like a roommate?

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your email to us here, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. It seems like there must be a lot going on in your life, especially at home, if you’re thinking about moving out. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

Legally you are a minor and under your guardian’s supervision until you are 18 or are emancipated by a court of law. If you decide to leave home before then your guardians could file a runaway report on you. Running away is not a crime, but it is a status offense. This means the police could detain you until they release you to the care of your guardians. We also have legal aid resources in our database. While we’re not law experts, we can try to find one in your area, there may be legal ways for you to be able to move out of your house. We’re here to try to brainstorm options with you.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website. However, the chatting service is not open 24/7. So the best way to tell us everything would be to just call into our hotline and talk to one of our trained liners.

Be safe, NRS

Hi I’m 16 and live in South Carolina . I know I can legally leave at 17. Unfortunately I won’t be 17 until 10 months I was wondering is there any way in the state of South Carolina that I can legally leave home at the age of 16

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a difficult situation trying to leave home at 16.

The easiest way to leave home before you turn 18 is SC is with your guardians' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to them. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Hello I know a16 year old that lives in SC whom lives with a church member. Her mother can't get her back until she gets a lawyer. The lady whom the 16 year old lives with is always calling her a lier and always talking down on her and the child wants to leave from there. What can she do. Thanks

Comment

• ccsmod9
            ccsmod9 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,
            Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you and the youth’s challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
            Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
            If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
            We hope to hear from you soon.
            Be safe, NRS

Hi I am 15 and I will be 16 in September and i live In sc. I am having a hard time getting along with my verbally aggressive stepfather whom my mother won't leave. She says if I cannot get along with him then i will have to be sent to my father in ohio, but i do not want to live far from my mom, but i cant live with her and my stepdad because it is crushing me mentally and causing me depression. I am wondering if i can leave if my parents know where i am with a friend because her mother is willing to let me live with her. Can I leave when I am 16 if they know? If the only way is emancipation, can i get emancipated if i have a place to stay with a parent, but with no job?

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline- we are always happy to help. This sounds like a very dificult situation and a lot to be going through. You sound very strong and we applaud your courage in reaching out to us.
            You mentioned being depressed- this is a very scary, difficult thing that no one deserves- consider giving us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or reaching out to the National Alliance on Mental Illness at 1-800-950-NAMI for more specific resources and support.
            As for leaving home, while we aren’t legal experts, there are a few things we can tell you. In most places, running away is just a status offense- meaning there are no punishments and you won’t be arrested. If your parents do file a runaway report and the police find you, however, the police will likely bring you home. If your parents don’t file that report, then you may be able to stay where you are. When leaving home, it is important to consider the safety of your situation, as well as next step.
            In South Carolina, there is no formal statute for emancipation- you would need to first file and have a hearing to determine if you are elligible. You can call us to discuss this further.

We hope this helped- please consider giving us a call anytime if you have any questions or would just like to talk.

Best of luck,
            The National Runaway Safeline

I'm 16 from SC and my aunt has guardian over me but she won't let me visit my older brother. If I was to go see in SC could she charge him with kidnapping

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live into a home with so much tension. It seems like you miss your brother a lot, you must care a lot about him. It sounds like it’s stressful to figure out what you want to do.

If you do opt to leave your home your aunt can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If you go to stay at your brother’s house without prior permission from your aunt, your brother could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your aunt views the situation.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS, so we can’t tell you what would happen if you left to go to your brothers. If could be worthwhile to you to reach out to some local legal aid groups for advice on what your aunt can and can’t do if you visit your brother. A great resource to look into is lawhelp.org. On the site you can locate legal aid agencies near you that may be able to help.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
            NRS

Hey so i'm 16, & currently living in SC... I live with both my parents, & brother. I am having issues with all of them. My dad is overprotective, & when I say overprotective i mean over the top overprotective. He doesn't let me do anything. I'm not allowed to hang out with anyone, boy, or girl, not allowed to have a job, or even do valunteer work. I literally wake up, go to school, come home, & stare at 4 walls all day everyday. I think personally it is importaint for me to socialize with other kids. this problem is having an effect on my life big time..not to mention my dad has cancer but this has nothing to do with why im not allowed to hangout with anyone., my mother constantly drinks, & smokes, & my brother has major anger issues, he also tells my dad everything i do & that causes me great stress. All of these problems, & many more have completly ruined me. I have major depression, & anxiety from all of this. I have told my family countless times that I need to get out more but they just find a way to throw my depression, anxiety, & all my "small" problems in my face. my family talks down on me. I'm 16 I need a life. I'm tired of feeling this way, I use to be so happy, but now the older I get, & the more i go through I feel as if I'm losing it, and stuff. I just want to live a normal life. my parents always tell me to buck up, & get over it. They tell me to stop sleeping all day, but instead they should be there to help me through this. Point is my parents are unreasonable, my mom is gonna end up sick like my dad, & if I lose both of my parents what am i gonna do?, my brother is a pain but i guess thats normal. So I made my decision.... I thought about moving out, & living with my aunt in NC. I don't know if shes okay with me moving in with her yet i have to ask soon. I know my parents probably wont allow it but i dont know what else to do. I'd rather find a way out of this mess than to lose myself over something so ridiculous. So can I move out at the age of 16, in the state of SC as long as I have a legal guardian to stay with? She is very supportive, & could help me out of this. She has a job, & has a child of her own i would love to live with her. Please help me get through this situation. I need the best advice possible asap. Thank You

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello, thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. We appreciate your courage and conscientiousness in sharing with us.

It sounds like you have been enduring many difficult challenges in your life for quite some time. Living under overprotective restrictions can be difficult for anybody, and it sounds especially difficult combined with the issues you face with your mother and brother.

Nobody should be told that hear their struggles with health afflictions such as major depression & anxiety are "small". You are the one living with these problems and facing them on a daily basis. You have been courageous in trying to express your needs to your family. It's a great sign of strength and wisdom that you have been able to recognize these issues you face and that they require active coping to manage and live with.

It's good to hear that you have been thinking about living with your aunt as a possible solution and that you have thought about reasons why living with her may be a good fit with her being supportive and employed.

We at NRS are not legal experts and therefore do not give legal advice. However, since you are within the age of minority in South Carolina at 16 years old, parental consent would be required for you to move away and live with your aunt.

Here are some questions you might consider asking yourself, and/or calling us to discuss over the phone?

-Do you feel comfortable contacting your aunt to discuss the possibility of living with her?

-How do you expect your aunt might react?

-Do you feel comfortable being open with your aunt and sharing what you're going through with her?

-Are there any coping strategies you can use that might help you feel more comfortable discussing this option with your parents?

-Are there any ways in which you may be able to address your parents' concerns clearly and effectively when discussing this option with them?

-What do you think you might do if your parents refuse? How would you feel?

-Is there anyone else you trust who you might be able to talk to about your situation?

And finally, are there any activities you enjoy that help you feel better?

Again, we thank you for your bravery in reaching out to us. It is great that you are taking steps to address the issues that you are dealing with.

Please do feel free to give us a call at any time to discuss more. We are open 24/7, and we are here for you. Thank you, and please take care.

I have a child that is 16 that currently lives with a very abusive mother and stepfather. Mother is the primary custodian and father is a visiting parent. They have a court order that states that. I was wondering when the child turns 17, could he legally leave his mother, regardless of the court order?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X