•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod0
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 16 and really don’t wanna live with my mom. it’s holding me back from having a better future. what do i have to do to move asap at 16

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you might want to live with your dad but there may be some custody issues. We'd like to help you explore what your options are but need a bit more information from you to see how we can help. If you give us a call we can work with you to see what your next best steps are. We also have a large database of resources: things like legal aid, for instance, that might be able to assist with custody issues. Also, if you need any help finding reproductive healthcare, we can pass along resources to you.

Our hotline is confidential and open 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat with us online via the portal at www.1800runaway.org. We hope to hear from you soon!

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 16 about to turn 17 but I’m pregnant. I live with my stepdad and mom but my dad wants me to go live with him . But my mom doesn’t want me too.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. It sounds like things have been really stressful and difficult at home and that it sounds like your step dad has been physical toward you mom, and that the situation is escalating towards you. We are glad that you were able to defend yourself, but you shouldn’t have to do that at home. Neither you nor you mom deserve to be treated this way. It is understandable that you want to go someplace safe.

You have been so brave to survive this, and also to tell us about what you are going through. You deserve to be safe and well treated. If your mom is ever looking for help, the National Domestic Violence Hotline (thehotline.org) is available to help her at 1800-799-7233.

Everything you are asking about your own situation are all good questions, and we want to help you figure out what your options are, but a public forum isn’t the best way to do that. We want to help you, in your unique situation and the best way for us to help you is to have a conversation with you either through our phone hotline or via live chat. You can reach us at 1800-RUNAWAY or chat at www.1800runaway.org We are here 24/7 and all of our services are confidential.

Sincerely,

NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 16 and I don’t want to live with my parents. I don’t get along with my step dad. If I left at 16 what would be the consequences. I just don’t want to be around my step dad anymore. He tells me he doesn’t give a shi* about me and that if I left he wouldn’t care. The other day I told him hey you should use this grinding wheel instead of that cutting wheel on the metal. He got mad and said that I always have something to say, the he came forward very fast at me and grabbed me, instincts kicked in and I grabbed his side and his chest, and as he wrapped his hand around my neck I over powered him and pushed him out the shed and made him hit his head on the shead then I pushed him into the trailer then a couple seconds later he let go. I don’t want to be here no more, he also hurt my mother sometimes. I have had three jobs, I currently don’t have a job. But I have people who would help me but I don’t want them to get in trouble for harboring a runaway. What should I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Guest replied
    Can my parent give me consent to emancipate like my biological mother or does it have to be my legal guardian who is my grandma

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Guest replied
    How do I get a emancipation form without my gaurdian knowing and I want to live with mom who has visitation rights but gaurdian wont let her my gaurdian is driving me crazy, she uses manipulation and lies and she physically abused me when I was young and I didn't know and now it's like shes mentally abusing me she gets pleasure off my misery and she treats me as if im a bad child I do the best I can in school I rarely get c on report card and never get into trouble but she treats me like I've done wrong all my life and she restricts me of.being a normal teenager I'm 16 in South Carolina and I wanna get away without the chaos and drama my mom is on probation but almost off I really want to stay with her but my guardian wants to control everything she would never let me go to court to emancipate so is there a way I could do this discreetly and let her find out when I hand the form to her because I'm really in the blind and dont know what to do I hate her with a passion and need to get away when I was younger she had pushed me so far I took meds to kill myself but it didnt work she doesnt know but I do if I dont get away soon I fear for my mental health and life because I dont know if I can take anymore

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It seems like you have been through a lot and are hoping to live with your biological mother rather than your current guardian. It seems like your guardian has full custody of you and you bio-mom doesn’t, as such if you were to go live with your bio-mom before turning 18 and without permission your guardian can report you as a runaway. This is a status offence and the police would be able to force you to go back to your guardian. Your bio-mom could also potentially face charges of harboring a runaway if you were to stay with her as well.
    Other options would be to try and ask the courts to give your bio-mom full or partial custody of you so that she has more guardianship rights over you. Another options would be to try and become emancipated which in some states means that the state recognizes you as an adult in the legal sense and you can live with who you want.
    If you have more questions or just need someone to talk to please reach out to our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us through our online chat.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm 16
    I want to go to my mom to live with her and she has visitations rights but the lady I'm staying with wont let her and I just wanna know when I turn 16 can I leave to go with her like what's all I can do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are wanting to leave due to your mom's emotional abuse. That has to be very hard to deal with. Here at NRS, we truly want to inform you and support you the best we can.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

Unfortunately, emotional abuse does not mean you can automatically become an adult before 18. However, you do have the right to report any abuse to child protective services. Unfortunately, it is harder for them to intervene in emotional abuse cases since it is harder to prove to be dangerous, even though we know it can be just as hurtful. You might reach out to the expert child advocates at Child Help if you have questions about reporting 1-800-422-4453.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to talk through your situation. We are always here for you.

1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hey I hate living at home my mom mentally and emotionally abuses me can I leave home know I am 16

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, it takes courage to reach out and we are so glad that you decided to reach out to us.
    We are not legal experts but we do have some information on what could happen if you were to leave. Because you would still be considered a minor if you were to leave without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back to your legal guardian. Also whoever you were to stay with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway. One option to consider is talking with your adoptive parents about how you feel, they may allow you to live with your bio parents or at least visit them.
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to talk please chat with us or give us a call. We are here 24/7 to help and support you.
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X