No announcement yet.

wanting to help

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • wanting to help

    i have a 16 year old living with me she will be 17 in June she has been here for 7 months. Her mother told her to move in with us but when she wants to change her address her mother tells her no. Her mother has not supported her in any way since she has been here she gets child support for her and she gets her daughters SSI and has not given her daughter anything since she has been living here. Her mother has even asked for her house key back and given her bedroom to her stepbrother. Her stepfather drinks and causes fights all the time she wants to stay here what are or options. we live in pennsylvania

  • #2
    re: wanting to help

    Hi there,

    Thanks for reaching out tonight and sharing your story with us. It sounds like she's going through a lot right now with her family. She is lucky to have you in her life. It seems like you're one of her main supports. That's admirable of you. So let's see how we can support you tonight.

    If she has permission to stay with you from her guardians, then that is legal. Her mom, however, is legally responsible for her until she turns 18, even if she is staying with you. That means, if her mom doesn't provide her with a safe living enviornment, then that could be considered neglect. One right that you and she have is to file an abuse report with child protective services (CPS). You can call PA's reporting line 24 hours a day at 1-800-932-0313. They would also be able to talk through the options that she has.

    If you would like to talk more or have other questions or want to talk through other options, please call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are here to explore more. We are anonymous and confidential. If you aren't able to call in, you can chat with us through our website ( from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time. We look forward to your call or chat.

    It sounds like you are trying to do the right thing. We are here to support you in that.

    Best of luck to you,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp