Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving out

Ok so I'm a 17 year old, when i turn 18 I'd like to move out. I'm planning on moving in with my boyfriend and his family. His mom has already told me that i was always welcome to live with them. Since i don't turn 18 until November, I'd like to know what kind of paperwork I'd need to have changed and if there was anything that i had to do in order to move out. My home life isn't as bad as other peoples, but it would a lot less strain on my family of i moved out so are there any suggestions for how i need to handle it and maybe how to tell my parents? FYI, i know relationships don't always last, so I've got a back up plan just in case me and my break up boyfriend . My aunt has told me i could live with her until I'm either out of college or have my own place. Any advise would be really helpful. Thank you.

RE: moving out

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline for help. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. From what you told us, it sounds like you given a lot of thought to your situation. To better help you; let’s break things down a little.

It sounds like you have a plan to move out to live with your boyfriend when you turn 18 in November. It is great that your boyfriend's family said that you are welcome to live with them. It sounds like that might be a good option for you. Unfortunately here at the NRS we cannot tell you what definite terms what the age of majority is in your state, some places are different. For more of an exact answer, we suggest that you get into contact with your local non-emergency police number.

As far as the paperwork that you referred to, there should not be any paperwork you will need to have changed when you do end up moving out. Are you thinking about custody papers? It is also great that you have a backup plan of moving in with your aunt if things don't happen to work out between you and your boyfriend. It really seems like you have thought all of this through very well.

You also mentioned that you were not sure of how you should tell your parents that you were planning on moving out with your boyfriend. If you told them, how do you think that they would react to you telling them? Anything going on at home that is making you think about moving out?
    Thank you again for getting into contact with us here at the NRS. If we didn't answer your questions thoroughly enough, feel free to call us on our 24/7 crisis line at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). If you feel more comfortable talking to us online, we also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30 PM CST, through our website (www.1800runaway.org).

Hope to hear from you soon and best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X