Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me please

I'm 16 and I want to run away. My mom has been yelling at me constantly and taking my stuff for no reason at all. I can't handle it anymore. I really can't. I have self-harmed, I have cried for 7 years. I want to move in with my boyfriend, but he lives so far away. My friend who lives here in California said she can take me in. My mom told me that she wanted me gone. Is there any way I can leave her without her getting all upset and something that rhymes with itchy? Is there also a way I can do this without bring the cops into this?

RE: Help me please

Hey there,

Thank you for posting on the National Runaway Safeline bulletin board. It’s brave of you to reach out and share your story with us. Your home life sounds very difficult and it must be tough for you to be at home with your mom, especially when she is telling you she wants you gone.

Here at NRS, we aren’t legal experts, but we can tell you what might happen in general if you decide to run away. If you decide to run away, your mom may file a runaway report. If the police take the report, they could then return you home. If your boyfriend or friend takes you in, they could be charged with something called “harboring a runaway.” Your mom has the responsibility to care for you until you reach the age of majority in your state, which is usually 18.

We offer many services through our Safeline, including offering referrals to you or you and your mom. We also have a service called a conference call, where we can mediate a discussion between you and your mom, if your concern is her becoming upset. If you’re feeling unsafe, you can call us or the National Suicide Hotline; their number is 1-800-273-TALK.

We hope this information given is helpful to you. We can talk more about running away and your options if you do decide to run away, or your options if you decide to stay at home. We’re here to help in any way we can. You can call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are anonymous and confidential. If you can’t call in, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org ) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time. We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X