Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running away and Medicaid

I am 17 years old and I will be 18 in 8 months. I live in Colorado and I would be staying in Colorado. I have a safe place I can go. I was going to try and stick it out until I turned 18 or graduated (May), but that is no longer an option. My home is not a safe environment any more. Also the fact that I am on several different medications I take for health reasons. Medicaid pays for them currently and all of my other health needs. My question is can a runaway teenager apply for Medical insurance and other things?

Re: Running away and Medicaid

Hello,

We are really sorry that you are going through a rough time right now. But we appreciate that you've reached out to us. We are here to listen and help in whatever way we can.

Do you care to explain more of what you mean when you say that your home is "not a safe environment any more"? You shouldn't have to feel unsafe, especially in your own home. It sounds like you are considering running away. We never tell anyone what to do since we trust that you know your situation and what you can handle better than anyone, but there are a few things you may want to think about before you make a decision to run or not. Some questions you might want to think about: How can you remain safe? Where would you stay?
    How would you get your basic needs cared for? Have you ever stayed at a shelter? If you decide not to run, how can you help your situation?

You asked if a medical insurance company would accept an application from a runaway minor. You probably would have to contact the specific company to find out what their policies are in that regard. They probably would need a billing address, though. So, if you run, you may need to at least have an address where mail could be forwarded to you.

Would you like to talk about this over the phone with us? We are here 24/7 and are totally confidential and anonymous. We may be able to brainstorm some more ideas with you and help you figure out what is your next best step. Or, if you'd like to chat with us online you can visit our website -- www.1800runaway.org -- and use our chat feature from 4:30pm-11:30pm CST. Whatever you decide, we are here to support you however we can. You have options.

Good luck,
    NRS staff
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X