Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I move out 2 months before I turn 18?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Hi,

I'm 17. I will be turning 18 in exactly 8 weeks, 5 days, 5 hours, 58 minute, and 59 seconds. I've been tracking this for about a year now, and I just want to leave my parents' home. Yes, I appreciate everything they've done for me, but I don't feel accepted here, and things have been tense ever since the end of my freshman year. I've been telling myself for 3 years now that I'll leave when I turn 18, but have been scared of the consequences that will come from it. I guess it would make more sense if I just tell you what's been going on, and hopefully that will help with answering my questions.

So, on 03/17/15 I got a girlfriend. I am a girl and come from a Christian home, so obviously, I knew this relationship wouldn't be accepted. So, both my girlfriend and I hid that part of our relationship from both of our parents. We went on like that for almost an entire year, until my parents found out. They immediately, a week before my sophomore year of high school started, took me out of the school I was going to and I was not allowed to contact anyone from my old school. My sophomore year, I was given the choice of going to a another (christian) school or doing online school. I chose online school because I wasn't ready to be "the new girl" at some other school where I knew no one. I spent my sophomore year, sitting on a couch in my living room, staring at a screen for an abnormal amount of hours (due to my ADD), and never had any breaks such as fall break, spring break, and even summer break. I'd wake up, start on school and wouldn't stop until my eyes felt heavy, which would be around 12 A.M. This continued, and finally, Christmas was just around the corner.
    (Side note: Not only was all contact from any old friends taken away from me, but the only electronic I was allowed to use was my mother's computer, and only for school purposes)
    Once Christmas finally arrived, I had been gifted a Kindle. I'm not going to lie, I thought about contacting my girlfriend multiple times, but I didn't. That is, until it had reached January, and my birthday had just passed. I would secretly check my girlfriend's social media accounts, and by the time my birthday had passed, she had posted many things about me. I missed her more than anything, and decided to try and contact her. So that was it. We were finally talking again. We talked and met up a few times and this went on for about 4-6 months, until I was caught once again. But in those 4-6 months, there are a few times that I worry about now. Example 1:
    Once my girlfriend's parents found out that we were talking again, they opened their arms to me and would drive her to meet me places. Yes, they didn't know that she and I were dating at that point, but they knew how important I was to her and vice versa. One day, we planned for them to pick me up and drive not even a whole 5 minutes away to a park by my house. When the picked me up, they never once got out of their car and touched foot onto my property, BUT, they did take me away from home without my parent's consent or knowledge. We were gone for about 15-20 minutes, and then they brought me back home. Could they get in trouble for that if my parents decide to press charges in the near future? (Important Note: This happened about 3 years ago)
    Example 2:
    Again, my girlfriend and I wanted to meet up. Her dad dropped her off at my house, but she never actually stepped foot onto our property. We stayed in the cornfield, which is owned by one of the local farmers, by my house. Is it possible for her family to be charged with trespassing or anything else related to that?

(I also think it's important to state that I do not have a job, but I do have a plan in set).

Anyways, her parents had offered for me to live with them when I turn 18. Now, her parents know that she and I were/are together, and still have the offer out on the table. Because I have 2 months until I turn 18, if I were to wait another month, meaning there'd be one month left until I turn 18, could I leave without the police getting involved or getting her family or anyone else that was ever involved in trouble? I live in Indiana and the age majority is 18, and being so close to 18, there is no need to try and get emancipated, which is why I'm starting to ask around and hoping my questions will be answered. I just want to leave this house, but I don't want to hurt anyone in any way. I really hope this is making sense. But, yeah, thank you for your time!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi, thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. So without more information, we are limited in the resources we can provide. In most states, 18 is the legal age in which someone may leave the home without parental consent. There are few exceptions to this. So, if you leave without parental consent, your parent or guardian could try and file a runaway report. This means they inform the police than you are gone and if the police do come into contact with you, they will likely try to return you back home. However, not all police departments accept these reports for 17 year olds who are so close to legal age. If you want, you can call and ask anonymously to your local police station, or you can always call us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can call out and ask for you.
    If you want more information on the laws in your state you can look here. Not all states have information though: https://www.1800runaway.org/2015/09/...thwestern-u-s/.
    You may consider also if there is a friend or family member your parents would allow you to stay with for the next 2 months. You sound like you are really trying to do what’s best for you and we know it can be difficult when you want to leave home for whatever reason.
    We are here by phone 24/7: 1-800-786-2929. Feel free to call if you want more resources or want to talk more about your situation. We wish you the best of luck!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi i want to get out of my house i turn 18 in two months what can i do i need to leave now

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you want to move out and you have concerns about your ability to move out before the age of 18. We’re not legal experts, but from what we understand, running away is not illegal, but it is considered a status offense in some states. If you ran away, your parent or legal guardian would have the option of filing a runaway report with your local police department. If you live in an area where your local police department looks for runaway youth, they would either return you home or ask your legal guardians to pick you up. It may be a good idea to try to talk to your parents about your plans. Especially since you’re so close to turning 18, it may be possible for you to come to an understanding for when you might be able to move out. If you’d like to find out how your local police department handles reports, the best way is to reach out to your local police department at their non-emergency number.

Whatever you decide, know that we are here to support you. We won’t tell you what to do, but we’ll do our best to help you stay safe. You can reach us 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), or via chat every day from 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST. We wish you the very best of luck. Stay safe!

-NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 17 and will be 18 two months after my daughter is born I want to move out after she's at least two weeks old can I legally move out with out getting in trouble?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. It sounds like you are frustrated with your grandpa and dad and don’t feel comfortable living in your home.

Although we are not legal experts here at NRS, we can tell you that until you reach the age of majority (18 in most states), you have to live with your legal guardians. If you choose to run away, your guardian could file a runaway report and if you come into contact with police, you would most likely be forced home.

One option you may want to consider is emancipation. Since you are already taking care of your finances and living apart from your guardian, you could be a good candidate for emancipation, or being legally independent from your guardians.

We encourage you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY to talk more directly about your situation and plans for the future.

Hope to hear from you soon,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm 17 and pregnant I'm 5 months and a half I have a job and my dad has full custody over me even though he doesn't live with me I live under my grandpa roof but my dad says he lives here when he doesn't I wanted to know if I can leave because I pay for bills when it's not even my job I'm trying already for my kid but all I get from my dad are phone calls of him talking and cussing at me I live in California and I just wanted to know what I can do because I'm tired of them treating me like crap even when I'm trying to do good they always have something to say

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    replied
    re: Can I move out 2 months before I turn 18?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on the National Runaway Safeline bulletin board. You're very brave to share your story with us here. It sounds like your home is a really difficult place to be.

You sound like you don't want to make waves in your house by leaving. However, no one has the right to harass and degrade you.

How do you cope with your difficult home situation? We at NRS are not legal experts, but we can tell you that running away is called a status offense, which means that the police may be able to return you home if you leave. It sounds like your situation is really tough and if you do want to run away, we at NRS can help you find a resource like a shelter to stay in. We may also be able to help you find some ways to cope with your difficult family situation.

It seems like you're going through a really tough time. We are here to provide a listening ear and to support you. If you’d like to talk more about your options or about anything else, please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are available to talk 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. If you're uncomfortable with calling, another option is to chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time. We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck!

NRS

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest started a topic Can I move out 2 months before I turn 18?

Can I move out 2 months before I turn 18?

Im 17 I live in Kentucky and I turn 18 in May. Can I legally move out now and not get arrested? My home is awful, my dad sexually harassed me when I was 12 along with my brother, neither were ever convicted because there wasn't enough evidence against them and my mom is constantly verbally harassing me and degrading me. My home is not a place I'm happy. I have multiple places i could go i just don't want to get anyone in trouble. I don't care if i make my parents mad they don't really care about me anyways they threaten to kick me out all the time but never do and are always talking about how I'm leaving as soon as i turn 18 so am i allowed to go ahead and leave as long as i stay in school. I already have a job and an apartment lined up as soon as i turn 18 i just can't take this anymore.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X