Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I move out 2 months before I turn 18?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I'm 17 and pregnant I'm 5 months and a half I have a job and my dad has full custody over me even though he doesn't live with me I live under my grandpa roof but my dad says he lives here when he doesn't I wanted to know if I can leave because I pay for bills when it's not even my job I'm trying already for my kid but all I get from my dad are phone calls of him talking and cussing at me I live in California and I just wanted to know what I can do because I'm tired of them treating me like crap even when I'm trying to do good they always have something to say

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    replied
    re: Can I move out 2 months before I turn 18?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on the National Runaway Safeline bulletin board. You're very brave to share your story with us here. It sounds like your home is a really difficult place to be.

You sound like you don't want to make waves in your house by leaving. However, no one has the right to harass and degrade you.

How do you cope with your difficult home situation? We at NRS are not legal experts, but we can tell you that running away is called a status offense, which means that the police may be able to return you home if you leave. It sounds like your situation is really tough and if you do want to run away, we at NRS can help you find a resource like a shelter to stay in. We may also be able to help you find some ways to cope with your difficult family situation.

It seems like you're going through a really tough time. We are here to provide a listening ear and to support you. If you’d like to talk more about your options or about anything else, please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are available to talk 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. If you're uncomfortable with calling, another option is to chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time. We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck!

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Can I move out 2 months before I turn 18?

Can I move out 2 months before I turn 18?

Im 17 I live in Kentucky and I turn 18 in May. Can I legally move out now and not get arrested? My home is awful, my dad sexually harassed me when I was 12 along with my brother, neither were ever convicted because there wasn't enough evidence against them and my mom is constantly verbally harassing me and degrading me. My home is not a place I'm happy. I have multiple places i could go i just don't want to get anyone in trouble. I don't care if i make my parents mad they don't really care about me anyways they threaten to kick me out all the time but never do and are always talking about how I'm leaving as soon as i turn 18 so am i allowed to go ahead and leave as long as i stay in school. I already have a job and an apartment lined up as soon as i turn 18 i just can't take this anymore.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X