Leaving the house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving the house

okay i have already been looking at other option besides divorcingg my parents with becoming empanicpaited. Im in the peoria il region if i leave when i turn 17 can my parents call the cops on me and return me home?

Re: Leaving the house

Thank you for reaching out with your questions. It sounds like you are trying to get some information on leaving home at 17 and what your options are. You mentioned that you have looked into emancipation but you are trying to find other options that may be available. Is there something that is going on that is making you want to leave home at this time?

In most states the age of majority, when a youth is an adult and can leave home without permission, is 18. So that means if you leave home without your parent/guardian’s permission they may be able to make a runaway report and the police would most likely bring you back home if they were to find you. But 17 can be tricky and depending on how close you are to being 18 it may depend on how the police deal with that situation. That means that we have heard that police may not take a report or make a youth return home if they are 17 and close to being 18. In order to know how the police would deal with this in your area it usually is best to contact your local police on a non emergency number and ask some questions.

While we can’t make this decision for you there is always someone here to discuss safe options and find helpful resources in your area. If you would like to talk with someone immediately you can contact us at our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a live chat available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. All of our services are completely confidential and anonymous. Please feel free to contact us anytime. There is always someone here to listen and support.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X