No announcement yet.

I Need help

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I Need help

    Ill give you the short story. Im 17. my dad is in texas and gave me up to a home. now i live with my mom and step dad. My mom is literally crazy and on medication. she constantly yells at me for no reason and has decided that were moving. again. i love my school right now and all the people in it. i have never stayed in a school system for more then 2 years, always moving. she is mentally abusive and my step dad is an ass and can get physically abusive. I have my best friend Bryan whose parents love me and were literally like brothers. they want me to move in to finish my senior year. I have a steady job, a place to stay, and guardians to watch me if i move in with Bryan. Can i legally move out to Bryans family?

  • #2
    re: i Need help

    Hi there,

    Thanks for reaching out tonight and posting your story here. It sounds like you’re going through a lot with your mom and stepdad right now. You definitely don’t deserve to be treated that way by them. They are wrong to abuse you in anyway. It was brave of you to reach out for some guidance. So let’s see how we can help you out tonight.

    We’re not legal experts here, but we are able to speak generally as to what might happen if you decide to move in with Bryan and his family. If you decide to do that, without your mom’s permission, your mom has the right to file a runaway report with the police. If the police take the report and find you, then they could force you to return back home. If you are not on probation or parole, it is not illegal to runaway. You would not be arrested, you would just be returned back home. Now, it gets a little tricky because the closer you are to 18, the less likely the police are to force you back. It sounds like education and stability is really important to you. That’s totally understandable. The reason for these guidelines is because your mom is legally responsible for you until you are 18.

    These guidelines change a lot according to what state you’re in and then even to what county you’re in. If you’d like us to call your local police department and ask them how they might respond in your situation, we are more than happy to do that for you. You can call them yourself. If you’d like us to call or to talk through other options that you have, you can call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are confidential and anonymous. If calling isn’t your thing, you can chat with us through our website ( from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time.
    We look forward to your call or chat.

    Best of luck to you,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove