Running away.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running away.

Hi, I'm 12 years old (going on 13,) and I'm considerning running away for the following reason;
    -Abuse from step-parents verbally and pysically;
    My "mom" has abused be pysically multiple times, i'm not just talking about a slap on the face, she slapped me so hard I hit my head on the wall and a knot formed. My "dad" has thankfully never touched me in a harmful manner but he screams and yells at me very hateful and mean things, they get mad at me for not talking to them or showing love and lie about what they did/said later, they also yell at me and slap me for not talking enough. My "mom" gets abusive when over the smallest things, one time she wanted to do my hair in fifth grade but I refused and she slapped me. I moved schools multiple times and things are only getting worse. I do have a small plan about running away and i'm street smart but I still need some ideas and help. I'm sick of this and depressed, I don't really have anyone I can talk to about anything to do with depression.
    Sorry to sound dramatic and thanks.

RE: running away

Hi,
    Thanks for contacting us, it sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. You definitely don’t deserve to be abused, verbally or physically, by anyone.
    You mentioned that you don’t have anyone to talk to about how you are feeling depressed, but does anyone know about what’s been going on with the abuse? Other adults in your life, such as your biological parents, teachers… might be a good support for you to lean on and might be able to help you communicate with your step-parents. Friends can also be a great support system if you are comfortable talking to them about this. Another option might be talking to a counselor.
    Ultimately, you deserve to be safe and supported wherever you are living and shouldn’t be abused by the people who are supposed to be taking care of you.
    Have you ever thought about filing an abuse report? If that is something you are ever interested in doing, here at NRS we are mandated reporters, so we can help you make that report, but because we are confidential and anonymous, we can still talk about what’s going on if you don’t want to choose that option. You can always call us, we are 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY, or live chat with us 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST at www.1800runaway.org, and we can talk and find you any resources (counseling, legal, shelters…) you may need.
    You also mentioned that you have a small plan to runaway, but it seems like you are trying to be smart and mature in whatever choice you make. Have you thought about where you might stay and how you could support yourself if you left home? Whatever you end up choosing to do, we want you to be safe and are always here to talk about what options you have.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi, thanks for replying, But I don't think I can talk to anyone about this. My friend would most likely tell her parents which would just make things worst, but i'll consider talking to the counsler , but i'm worried he/she will involve my parents.
      I have some questions about running way;
      -If I run away, is it possiable to still pursue a career? (I doubt it,)
      -Are homeless shelters safe?
      -What should I pack if I actually run away? (I have some ideas,)
      -How do I run away, (sneak out or just run away after school?)
      -Is there any legal issues i'll face in the state of Florida if I run away?
      I'm still considering it, I just want to know more info about it.
      Thanks again.

Comment

Re: Running away.

Thanks for reaching out again. We are sorry to hear you don’t feel comfortable talking with anyone else about this. Even as a minor you can often speak with a counselor a few times before they have to involve your parents. If you do reach out to a counselor they should be able to tell you what their specific services and policies are.

It really sounds like you are trying to make the best decision you can and it’s wonderful you are taking all of these things into consideration and figuring out how to be safe. We don’t really have a list per se of things you should pack or take. Several things you do want to keep in mind is how you plan on surviving on a regular basis. Where you will stay, sleep, and eat.

If you would like to discuss your situation more in depth keep in mind you can call us at our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). You can also reach out to us on our live chat that is open from 4:30 to 11:30p CST daily. If you would like assistance looking up resources in your area or getting a better idea of how to be safe and what your plan is feel free to contact us directly. There is always someone here to listen and here to help.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X