I want to leave my house.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to leave my house.

I am 17 I will be 18 in 4 months. I hate living at home I have no freedom and I am treated like I am 12. I want to move out of the house but my parents won't allow it until I graduate, next year. I want out now, if I was to runaway and I had a safe place to go to would the cops do anything with me being so close to 18?

Re: I want to leave my house

We are really glad you reached out to us. I hear you saying that you have no freedom at home. It can be really frustrating getting treated like you are younger than you are. If you are planning on running away, there are a few things to keep in mind. The first is that running away when you are under 18 is called a "status offense", meaning it is not a felony and will most likely not go on any sort of permanent record. With that said, if you were to run away today and your parents made a runaway report, the police would be required to return you back home if they found out where you were. This is not always the case at your age though. In some towns, the local police will not take a runaway report if you are close to turning 18. This is something you could inquire about by anonymously calling the non-emergency number for your local police department and asking about their policies. How you you think your parents will react if you leave home? If you are interested in talking more about your situation or brainstorming some options with us about safe places to stay or ways to cope at home, please feel free to contact us anytime in the day or night at our 24 hour, confidential and anonymous hotline at 1-800-RUN-AWAY or through our chat room found on our website at www.1800runaway.org (4:30 - 11:30pm CST). We are here for you and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X