Long Distance disappearance.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Distance disappearance.

Hey I'm 17 years old, and I live in Oregon. I'm flying down to Houston to go "visit" my biological brother. What my adoptive parents don't know is that I am planning to run away when I am there. I have been having problems with my family since I was about 10 years old, and I really can't take it anymore. I have been to what seems like every therapist on the west coast, so I would appreciate it if you didn't try to lecture me on making things right with my family. Anyway, I was just wondering, would the police be able to detain or arrest me, if i was discovered to be a runaway? Once again, I am 17. Also, would my adoptive parents be able to keep the money I had in my account when I turn 18? Or do I have a right to that? I worked for every penny of that money, so there's no real reason for me not to have it. Umm yeah. It's February 26, 2014 right now, and I'm leaving on March 6, so a speedy answer would be appreciated. Thanks!

RE: Long Distance disappearance.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you have made up your mind to run away once you reach Texas. We are sorry to hear that things are tough with your family right now. It was smart of you to come to us with questions and to plan ahead, as life as a runaway can be very difficult. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can.

We are not legal experts, but we can try to answer your questions to the best of our ability. If you are reported as a runaway, the police can take you into custody and see that you are returned to the custody of your legal guardians. Running away is not in itself a criminal offence, but they can take you in and make you go home without a warrant since you are under 18. In some cases, police might not take a runaway report for a minor who is close to turning 18, but it all depends on the particular situation and the laws of the state you live in. Running away across state lines comes with added risks.

It sounds like you are also worried about your bank account. You might think about contacting your bank to ask what their policies are. If you think your adoptive parents would keep your money from you, a banker might be able to work with you to set up an account in your name.

Our primary concern at the National Runaway Safeline is your safety. If you want someone to talk to about your plans, or if you wind up in an unsafe situation with nowhere to go, please give us a call at our 24/7 crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). If you prefer to chat online, you can reach us on www.1800RUNAWAY.org every day between 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST for live crisis chat support. We are looking forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Original asker.

Thanks so much for this. What you guys do is great.

Comment

Thank you for keeping in touch with us. We're so glad to hear that we were able to help you out. Please keep our number handy so you can reach out to us again if you need further assistance. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our online chat services from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week if you would rather contact us that way.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X