Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im 16 and want to move out and live with my boyfriend but my parents are super strict

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im 16 and want to move out and live with my boyfriend but my parents are super strict

Im 16 and want to move out and live with my boyfriend. MY parents are incredibly strict and wont let that happen; what can i do to make sure that it does happen or what can i do to help it happen at age 17 or even sooner then that.

Re: Im 16 and want to move out and live with my boyfriend but my parents are super st

Hello,

We're glad you decided to reach out to us on our bulletin boards. It sounds like you are dealing with some incredibly strict parents and would rather move out and live with your boyfriends instead. It also sounds like you are wondering what would happen if your leave home at 16 or 17. We cannot say for certain what will happen; however, in most cities/states you are considered a runaway if you are under 18.

What happens may depend on whether your parents file you as a runaway and if so how your local police treats the situation. We imagine it is quite frustrating dealing with strict parents and feeling like you want to leave, but are not sure how that would happen. We are here to both listen and provide support. We are not here to tell you what to do, but can go over pros and cons. If you'd like to further discuss your situation, we encourage you to either Live Chat from 4:30 - 11:30pm CST (big red button on our homepage) or call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Good luck and stay safe!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Thanks for the helpful info.

]Hello,

We're glad you decided to reach out to us on our bulletin boards. It sounds like you are dealing with some incredibly strict parents and would rather move out and live with your boyfriends instead. It also sounds like you are wondering what would happen if your leave home at 16 or 17. We cannot say for certain what will happen; however, in most cities/states you are considered a runaway if you are under 18.

What happens may depend on whether your parents file you as a runaway and if so how your local police treats the situation. We imagine it is quite frustrating dealing with strict parents and feeling like you want to leave, but are not sure how that would happen. We are here to both listen and provide support. We are not here to tell you what to do, but can go over pros and cons. If you'd like to further discuss your situation, we encourage you to either Live Chat from 4:30 - 11:30pm CST (big red button on our homepage) or call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Good luck and stay safe!

-NRS[/QUOTE]

Comment

Re: Im 16 and want to move out and live with my boyfriend but my parents are super st

Hello again,

We're glad we could be of help and encourage you to reach out to us in the future whether by Live Chat or calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Best of luck!

-NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I'm 16 and I want to live with my boyfriend

Hi I'm 16 and I want to live with my boyfriend because I am so sick and tired of my mom! I don't know what to do anymore! She doesn't even treat me as a daughter. What can I do to move out! Please help!!!

Comment

re I'm 16 and want to live with my boyfriend

Hey there,

It seems that you are going through a stressful time with your mom and you feel that the situation would be better if you lived with your dad. It must be frustrating to feel like that. Being 16 though your mom would be legally responsibile for you until you are an adult. So there may not be anything you could do besides considering emancipation. That does take time, as it doesn't happen right away. You would likely need to prove that your mom is unfit to take care of you to the courts. If you do decide to leave and she files a runaway report you could be taken back home. We are more than happy to help, if you want to reach out to us via chat or call for more assistance you can.

Best of luck to you,
            NRS

Comment

Im going through the same issues my mom threatens me and says she Will file a run away report if i move in with him me and him are engaged have been for 4 years and im happy with him idk what to do tho cn someone help me

Comment

• ccsmod7
                ccsmod7 commented
                Editing a comment
                We are very grateful that you have gotten in touch with us and we are glad to be of help in any way that we can. We are so sorry that things are not going well at home and you certainly don’t deserve to be threatened by your mother. That certainly has to feel very bad.

So here’s the thing. Your mother has legal responsibility for you so if you were to runaway and go move in with your boyfriend, your mother can file that missing child’s report and the local authorities would have the responsibility to find you and bring you back home. And we assume that your mother will know where you are as we assume she will know you have gone to be with your boyfriend. We wish we could tell you otherwise; we are sure that is not what you want to hear but she does have that right. We don’t know how old your boyfriend is but there is a chance that he could get into some trouble as he would be “harboring a minor.”

We know it takes courage to reach out to us, but we would suggest that if you feel comfortable in so doing that you call on us. We talk to many who are your age and are having similar experiences. We know we can’t do anything about the rules that we have just mentioned, but sometimes a good open, honest and confidential conversation can be of help. Please don’t hesitate to reach out.

We are here 24/7.

Thanks again for reaching out and we look forward to being of help.

I have been thinking about leaving my home too with my boyfriend. My mom is really stressful she has threaten me that she will send my to juvi or some like that. She has told me that if I leave she won't care just like when my older sister left at 16 but I'm only 15 and is thinking about leaving at 16 or 18

Comment

• ccsmod5
                ccsmod5 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey,
                Thanks so much for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a stressful situation with your mom. You don’t deserve to be threatened, and that must be really hurtful. You mentioned that you’re thinking about leaving home and that your mom “won’t care.” We’re not legal experts, but generally speaking if your mom gives you permission to leave, then it should be okay for you to stay with your boyfriend. The only way an issue would come up would be if your mom decides to file a runaway report, in which case the police would just return you home if they find you. If you’d like to talk more specifically about your situation and need help figuring out your next steps, please feel free to reach out to us by phone. We’re happy to listen, provide resources, or help you figure out your next steps. We wish you the best of luck and we hope that this information is helpful. We encourage you to give your honest feedback of our response at the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think .

Im 16 and my mom written a letter and signed it herself saying she allowed me to move states with my bf. She now is saying I need to come home.in just wondering can she make me come home? Or can I just stay where I am because she had signed a paper stating she allowed me to leave?

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a really hard situation and are unsure of where to get answers. We are not legal experts and so could not say for sure if the hand written note is enough. What you can do is call out to the non-emergency police number in the city where your mom lives and where you live and inquire about what you need to not be returned home as a runaway. That or getting legal aid is really the best way to get the most accurate information and not just speculation. If you need help finding that number or want to talk through this option, don't hesitate to give us a call. We can be reached 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: We care what you think

Comment

hi im 16 and im engaged to my boyfriend 21 my mom gave his permission for him to propose to me at first she was cool about and now she sctunf different she sometimes dint want me with him and i just wanna move with him so soon but i dont know how? bc im 16

Comment

• ccsmod2
                    ccsmod2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes a great deal of courage to seek help.It sounds like your mom no longer approves of your relationship with your boyfriend. We are not legal experts, so we can not say for sure what you could do. There are 3 ways in which you could move out at the age of 16, you could ask your parents permission. Another option is contacting Child Protective Services if you feel unsafe at home. The third way would be by looking into emancipation laws for your state. Please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat if you have any other questions or just want to talk.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: We care what you think

Hi I’m 16 and I want to move out of my dads and step moms house but I am to afraid of them getting mad at me if I told them that I want to move out and live with my mom or boyfriend. I am just not happy at all in that house. Is there anyways for me to move to my moms or my boyfriends house without my dad and stepmom getting mad at me or my mom

Comment

• ccsmod10
                    ccsmod10 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that you’re having a tough time living with your dad and stepmom. You ask about how you might go about discussing your living with your mom or your boyfriend instead of continuing to stay with them. You could ask either you mom or dad to explain their custody agreement. That may help you understand what your legal options are.

It sounds like you want to have this conversation with you dad and stepmom without upsetting them. We here at NRS offer a conference call service. You could call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and we could talk about how you might like to discuss this option with you dad. We could then reach out to him (and to your stepmom), with you on the line. The idea is to have us help keep the conversation on topic and civil. We could set ground rules for everyone involved (i.e. no yelling, no interrupting, etc.); this can be helpful and allow you to get your point across.
                    You posted this forum under our “legal issues” section. If you have questions regarding your legal ability to leave home or about emancipation, you can call us. We have a large database of resources which might help.

We are here 24 hours a day/7 days a week, and we are here to listen and to help. We hope to hear from you soon.

Best,
                    NRS

Can I get an emancipation at 16 without my parents permission somehow? I already have everything figured out on how to live on my own and have the money for everything.

Comment

• ccsmod11
                    ccsmod11 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We're glad you've figured out a plan for how you would stay safe as a runaway, as the safety of the youth who chat with us is our number one concern. We can provide you general information about how emancipation works in your state, but ultimately each state's requirements for emancipation vary considerably. Therefore, we would need to know what state you live in for us to give you any information about this topic. Call us at 1-800-786-2929.

Best,
                    NRS

I’m 16 and want to move in with my 20 year old boyfriend is that legal?

Comment

• ccsmod3
                    ccsmod3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to share your situation with others, and we acknowledge your bravery. So it sounds like you are wanting to leave a certain place and move in with your boyfriend? Is the place you want to move from your legal guardians place? If you would like to discuss the circumstances that are making you want to move, please feel free to call or chat with us so we can listen and provide support.

We are not legal experts here at National Runaway Safeline, so we cannot advise you what to do, and how the law applies to your situation in your area. But most states indicate an individual must be 18 years old to be legally able to live wherever you want or with whomever you want. And we do know that if a legal guardian has a child or teenager (a minor) leave their house, below the age of 18, then the legal guardians do have the right to file a police report about their child or teenager running away. And if the police follow up on this police report and find out a minor is living with someone over the age of 18, then the person over 18 could be charged with the offense of harboring a minor.

To learn more about how your local police would respond to your question, you could always look up your police’s phone number on the website https://www.usacops.com, and then give the police department a call to discuss the situation. If you would like our assistance making the call to your local police department, then feel free to call us and we can call the police on a conference call. Our number is 1-800-786-2929.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are here to help 24 hrs. a day/7 days a week. Best of luck deciding on the best course of action.

I'm 15 and engaged to my boyfriend who is also 15 my parents don't want to leave the house and move in but I don't even feel like family here anymore and my boyfriends parents are perfectly fine about me moving in. How can I move out at 15 without my parents permission?

Comment

• ccsmod10
                    ccsmod10 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your email to us here, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

As a minor (under the age of majority), you aren't able to leave home without your parents’ permission. There are lawyers who help youth for free or for free, they would be able to brainstorm legal ways for you to move in with your boyfriend. If you'd like us to connect you with those resources please give us a call.

If you give us a call on our 24/7 fully confidential hotline, at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help answer some of those questions you have and could potentially help you brainstorm a solution to the issues you are having. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org) if you don’t feel like calling in to talk on the phone.

Best, NRS
                Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X