X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi, thanks for reaching out! We are here to help and provide info when we can!

We are not legal experts, but in most states, 18 is the legal age of adulthood when you can live where you please. Leaving home before then, your parents have the right to file you as a runaway with police. Some police stations accept runaway reports up to 18th birthday; some go out and look for teens right away and ask parents where you might be and go to the door and ask. Others do not go out and look at all and it is only if you come into contact with police, like if you commit a crime. That totally depends! You can find your local non-emergency number at usacops.com and call and ask how they handle things without giving your name or anything like that. We understand that can be an intimidating call so we can help make that call too! We are here 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 if you want some more direct support or help with that call.

Other things to consider: are you safe where you are? Are there safe people around? Do you have access to basics like food, shelter, water?

We can help you find a safe place to stay as well and some of those basics if you do need that. We are 24/7 by phone and are also on chat directly through the link at the top of the page here. Call us anytime at 1-800-786-2929.

Best of luck and stay safe!

Guest replied
    Im 16 and i ran away from home. How long before the cops stop looking for me.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    replied
    RE: Hi

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you have a lot to be worried about. Just so you know, we are not legal experts here, but we can briefly share what we might know.

One thing to keep in mind is that she is still 16, and is still considered a minor in most states, which technically means she cannot leave her home without being emancipated or by legal consent. If emancipation is something that she is considering, then she can give us a call and we will be able to provide her with more information and as well as give her a legal aid where she will be able to call and ask any questions she might have. One thing she might want to keep in mind is that the emancipation process can take up to six months.

As I mentioned, she is still a minor. If she was to run away and stay with you and her parents file a runaway report, then there is the risk of you being caught. If you are caught, in most states, you can be charged with harboring a minor. The charges of harboring a minor can vary from fines to jail time.

If you or the youth have any other questions, please feel free to contact us. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY, we also have a live chat session available every day from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi

I am 24 yeasr old turning 25 in januarie .. I met a 16 year old girl wich is a realy nice girl ..she wants to leave home but is scared to go to people she doesn't know ..I realy don't know what to do .. She calls me and ask me to come and pick her up . The thing is I don't need trouble but I realy want to help is it legal for her to move in with me ..I wil obviously let her finish school when she lives here with me I work very close to home and it would be a plesure having her there. Please help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    replied
    RE: 16, and I ran away

Hi again,

Some legal aid resources in your area are:

Anne Arundel Lawyer Referral Service: 410-280-6961
    Holland Law Firm: 410-280-6133
    Legal Aid Bureau: 410-951-7777

These places are most likely open on Monday to Friday from 9am-5pm. So you might be able to call them on Monday to ask your questions about emancipation.

We hope these are able to help you out and give you some guidance. If you have any questions please contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). If you can't call in, please chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30-11.30pm Central Time.

Best of luck to you,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I live in Anne Arundel County

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    replied
    RE: 16, and I ran away.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have left home and are in a safe place right now, and are looking forward to starting the emancipation process. In Maryland, there are special circumstances in which a youth would be able to file for emancipation, but a youth has to be able to financially support him or herself. The circumstances include marriage, entering the military, misconduct by parent, and consent of emancipation by parent. If you were interested in more information about the process, you can contact Family Law at 1-800-845-8550. What county do you live in? If we had your county, we could help you with more local resources. We are not legal experts, but usually in order to being the emancipation process, you would start by contacting a lawyer.

We also can’t tell you exactly how cops respond to runaway situations. It all depends on the situation and also the age of the runaway youth. If you are close to being 18, then the police might reserve their resources when looking for you since you will be an adult soon. In general the police stop looking either when you return home or when you turn 18. If you need more information or resources specific to your county, including the local sheriff’s department to ask questions about runaways, you can always call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us at 1800runaway.org.

Good luck, and we look forward to hearing from you soon!

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic 16, and I ran away.

16, and I ran away.

Im from maryland, and I ran away last sunday, so It's almost been a week now. for the past week, I've been staying in a nice house with my friend and his family. I was just curious to know, how many cops are usually aware of a run away, and are looking for the runaway. also, When do cops stop actively looking for a run away? Next week, I'm also looking to begin the Emancipation process, any tips on how I should start that process? what is the best way to go about beggining the Emancipation process? CPS? or going directly to the court?
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X