No announcement yet.

16 Year Old in washington

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I am 16 years old in the state of Washington, my parents are divorced and I live with my mom more than my dad. Both of my parents are crazy, but my mom has an obsession with controlling everything I do. It is getting to the point where I can’t even leave to get gas without getting yelled at or grounded. At 16, we are legally allowed to get birth control and now my mom has severed her relationship with me. She claims that I will never be able to grow a new relationship with her. I wouldn’t say that I want to get emancipated, but I would like to live with my dad full time. How can I contact someone so that I can live with my dad? He’s not super amazing, but at least he’s supportive and understanding. I don’t know where to go from here or how to get out and I am feeling very trapped.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It sounds really hard to live into a home with so much tension. It must be really frustrating to feel so controlled. It’s great to hear that your dad supports and understands you. From what you’ve said, it sounds like your mom has primary custody. It might be a good idea to talk to both your parents to see how everyone would feel about your dad taking over primary custody. We’re not legal experts here at NRS, but this may mean that lawyers will need to get involved and/or you might need to go to court.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

I lost my mother 2 years ago to suicide which than I had to move in with my father which was never in my life before she had died. Within the two years I lived with him it got to the point of him threatening me, physically and verbally, ended up in court because he knew how to make this flip onto me and tried to file me as a youth at risk. Those were dropped but now I currently live with his parents and it’s not any better. I don’t speak ab my problems, I keep them to myself and help others. I finally just cried and cried one day and my gma said I was being “out of control” and threatened to take me into a involuntary home so they’d keep me there and my father had did that once before. My father has mental illnesses and a background of his troubled behavior, he isn’t a good guy. My gparents make me feel like a complete burden and make it known and I don’t know what else to do. What could happen to me if I decide to remove myself from this home and not return?

Comment

Reply: I lost my mother 2 years ago

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. Losing a parent is something that nothing can prepare you for. You have our deepest condolences. Not only did you lose your mother, you then moved in with an abusive parent. After everything you had already gone through you did not deserve to be in an abusive situation with your dad. It’s not your fault.

You also do not deserve to feel that you are a burden on anyone. The fact that you take time out to try and help others says a lot about you as a person. We understand that it has not been easy for you and now you might be considering leaving your grandparent’s home. Leaving home raises some questions as to being able to tare of yourself once you’ve left. There are things to consider like where you will stay, keeping healthy and being safe. You are thinking in the right direction by reaching out to maybe look for options.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail, discuss options and share more about how we might help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Alright so I am 16 and I have been a burden to my parents/family for so long and they think I can't see it but I notice it and it hurts me, I want to leave but I dont think I can survive until emancipation, Could I leave right now? They said they would call the cops but can they really do that.
        Last edited by ccsmod4; 04-18-2019, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Reply:Alright so I am 16

Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You don’t deserve to feel that you are a burden.
          It sounds like you are upset by what’s been happening at home and have thoughts about leaving.
          18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. If you are then picked up by the police you can be returned home.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
          NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Alright so I am 16 and I want to leave because I am being a huge burden to my parents and I know this, im hurting them financially and mentally and I need to get out can my parents call the cops on me?

Comment

• ccsmod5
              ccsmod5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there and thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry you are feeling how you are right now. It must be hard to feel like you are a burden on your parents. That must feel terrible. Your parents may not feel that way; it is possible that they take in caring for you as their child. It sounds like you've been thinking about independence. It is understandable to feel like you need to do that sooner than later. We would want you to know that you do not and can take your time. It seems like there may be some reasons why you are feeling like this and we would love to be able to talk with you further about it. We could even talk about some small steps you can begin taking if you are wanting to become more independent over time if you’d like. We want to be a support for you. Please, feel free to give us a call at our 24/7 hotline 1800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat with us live by visiting our website 1800runaway.org. Best of luck and hope to talk to you soon.

Hello. I'm currently a 16-year-old teen, living in Washington State.

Lately, my parents got into an argument and it has been attacking me emotionally. This time, my mother had a mental breakdown. My dad is known to have some type of mental disorder that we could not determine. Therefore, it has to deal with his past and such. He uses that against my mom from time to time, even towards me. Just hearing my mother breakdown hurts me. I thought her behavior was also toxic and unrequited love just only sprouts. She loves my father so much even if my dad is emotionally abusive towards us.

Long story--my father has been emotionally abusive towards me ever since 7th grade. I ran away from home because he was bothering my belongings and personal private conversations with my online friends. I'm not really much responsibile in the house, I try to. But it just that having my father around literally makes me do nothing at all. He degrades me and would give me lectures for 1 ~ 3 hours. It is always the same in every conversation.

I'm going to become a Junior (11th Gr.) soon, and I think I know one day I'll snap. He took my social life away from me and my friends would frown upon me for it. In all honesty, I want to leave this household and take care of myself and my mentality before it gets any worse. I'm more worried about myself. I have a friend online who has been helping me over the past 3 years with my mentality and helping me improve myself. But nowadays, I think my parents are the reason why I'm not improving and taking care of myself. I don't have as much freedom and I'm always isolated.

I wanted to provide myself financially by doing art commissions and taking a part-time job. But my parents prevent me and said that I have to wait until I'm 18 and done with college. I just think I'm going to lose it at that point. Yes, my parents actually wants me out of the house. Due to the trouble I've been putting on their shoulders as a slacking teen in their house--I'm actually responsible. Just not in my parent's house. My household is usually filled with negative vibes all the time. And I'm just tired of it.

I have a very small mind about the laws and stuff regards to emancipation and all that. It would be nice to provide some useful sources I can use. I'm turning 17 soon, and I really REALLY want out. Right now, I'm planning on how I will get to live with ny friend in North Carolina. I'm going to start saving up, although, knowing the consequences and difficulty--I'm also going to ask my online friend for help (they're 21-years-old). Their mother knows me well, so I thought of living with them.

Nevertheless, please PLEASE... Thank you...

Comment

• ccsmod1
              ccsmod1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS, so we can’t give you any legal advice. Emancipation is an option in the state of Washington but there are certain rules and qualifications about who can and cannot be emancipated. Emancipation can often be a lengthy and expensive process and the court usually requires you to show proof that you are currently able to financial support yourself. If you'd like more information about the emancipation process in Washington you can reach out to the Division of Children and Family Services by calling 253-872-2270.

It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your parents so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
              NRS
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X