Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 in san francisco and running away

what would happen to me if i ran away and my parents called the cops on me ? i want to run away to live with my dad in colorado , my parents are separated and none of them have custody . would i get arrested or would my dad get arrested ? .

re: 14 in san francisco and running away

Hi there and thanks for contacting NRS. It seems like you are interested in what might happen if you runaway. Is there something in particular going on that is making you want to run? Sometimes it can be helpful to talk through your situation and other options that you might not know you have. Is there anyone that you can reach out to for support in talking through what’s going on?

You mentioned that you are 14. Although we are not legal experts, we can tell you that at that age, your legal guardian does have legal rights and responsibilities of you. If you were to leave home without permission, your guardian has the right to contact the police and file a runaway report (which is often considered a status offense and you would be returned home). If you were to then stay with your dad, he would be considered to be harboring a runaway which in most places is a criminal offense. If you have other questions, please don’t hesitate to call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY or to chat with us from 4:30-11:30pm CST.

Take care,
    -NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I live in Santa Rosa California and i'm 14 years old. I've been thinking about suicide but later realized that there is a different way to fix my life rather then ending. If i were to run away what should i bring and where would be a safe place to go.

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline(NRS). We understand that it takes courage to seek help. You mentioned that you have thought about committing suicide. Your life matters ! Although you are going through a tough time right now you are not alone. Talking to someone about how you feel could help, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) is a great resource for support. It sounds like you have started to think of other alternatives such as running away. Having a plan about where you would go and how you would take care of yourself is important. Since you are a minor, if you decide to leave home, your family has the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Running away isn't against the law so you wouldn't get arrested but if you decide to stay with a friend they could get charged with harboring a runaway. You could try asking your family if they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. Another option that you have is contacting Child Protective Services if you don't feel safe at home. If you do decide to runaway, you could contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat for local resources such as youth shelters. We hope that this information helps, good luck !
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X