I'm 17 and want go leave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 and want go leave

I'm 17 years old and want to leave my house I live in Virginia and I can't take living at home with my step dad I have so much stress on me because of him. I don't know what else to do my mom won't help me out and I just want to leave my home without getting in trouble by the law.

RE: I'm 17 and want go leave

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this. It definitely seems that you are going through a lot right now. We aren't legal experts, so we cannot say for sure what would happen if you left. However, since you are underage leaving home is considered a status offense, meaning that is is only illegal because of your age. Since you are so close to being 18 the police may be less likely to pick you up, but again we cannot say for sure that this would be the case.

Some legal aid resources in Virginia include: Alexandria Bar Association (703) 548-1105 which will provide 30 min of professional legal aid for $50. After the first 30min regular fees apply. Another resource is Central Virginia Legal Aid (804) 658-1012. If you need more help with resources you can always call our hotline number at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can talk through options and help you further. The hotline is confidential and anonymous and available 24/7 365 days a year. Our chat is also available everday from 4:30-11:30 CT. Again, thank you for writing to us and good luck!

- NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X