mom is driving me crazy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mom is driving me crazy

i am 14 and i can't stand my mother. Its not like she hits me or does bad things but i just hate being around her. Today for example we have a snow day for school and i make plans to hang out with my friends but then she says she won't drive me there, the place is a mile away. She says the roads are to bad and she does not feel safe in a 2 minute car ride in a residential area. whatever i say i will walk. She threatens to call the police and our big tough neighbor over. I feel her she is a bad parent she takes my phone and sends me to my room. i am up here freaking out because i have not seen my friends and weeks and she has my phone and could be texting them as she as done before. please help. I want to leave home but don't know if it is allowed or where i would go.

Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us about what is going on with your mom. It sounds like this is a very frustrating situation for you and it’s great that you have contacted us for assistance. Hopefully we can help you explore options and resources that may be available to you.

You said that your mom isn’t allowing for you to go to your friend’s today because of the weather. We are sorry to hear that; it sounds like you haven’t seen your friends for a few weeks now and you miss them. It also sounds like your mom had told you she would call the police if you left without her permission. What do you think would happen if you tried to talk with your mom about how you are feeling?

We are sorry to hear that this is going on and that your mom took your phone. You mentioned that you want to leave home but don’t know where you would go. One thing we can do here is try to help you find a shelter or some other safe place to go. We aren’t legally trained here so we can’t say for sure what would happen if you left home without mom’s permission but we can give you our general understanding of what may happen. If you leave home without mom’s permission, she may have the option to call the police and file a runaway report with them. Generally, running away is considered to be a status offense so if the police locate you they may either take you home or take you to the police department and call your mom. Also, if you are with someone that is over 18, then your mom may have the option to press charges against them for harboring a runaway or contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Do you think your mom would do that?

Again, you can call us at anytime if you would like to talk more or explore what options may be available to you. Our 24 hour, toll free hotline is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) but we also have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week and that can be found on our website (www.1800runaway.org).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X