15 and running away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 and running away

Im tired of living with my mom. iv been diagnosed with anxiety, depression, and parent child issues. we constantly fight and argue, I just moved in with her all of 3-4 weeks ago. I moved because my dad kicked me out, I always snuck out, used to drink and do drugs, and things like that because I just really don't care. he lived in Missouri. My life has been hard and its led up to what im doing now, which is running away. parents got divorced last year, dad remarried 2 months ago, raped, moved every 2-4 years because dads in the military, dad was abusive, moms controlling and crazy. I want out. this is not the life I want to live, and iv lived it long enough. I turn 16 may 10th. in Missouri I have to be 17, so I was thinking running away there and just hiding for a year and 4-5 months. I have a strong support system up there and can live with a number of people, I wouldn't stay at one place to long though. im worried about school though, and the cops coming to look for me there. can texas cops go to Missouri to get me if they don't know fer sure where I am, or that im even for sure in that state? and can they have Missouri cops try to find me? and what about school?

Re: 15 and running away

Hello there,

It sounds like you’ve got a lot going on and we’re glad you decided to reach out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re very sorry you’ve had to deal with so much – your parent’s divorce, being raped, moving so often, abuse, and your mother’s control. It sounds like you are pretty set on finding another living arrangement. We cannot tell you whether to leave or not, but we do care about safety. It sounds like you feel like you have a support network in Missouri. However, if you ever find yourself without a place to go, you might find National Safe Place useful. Not all cities/states have Safe Place, but it can provide a starting point for shelter and other supportive services. http://nationalsafeplace.org/

You also asked a lot of really great questions and while we cannot tell you for sure what will happen, we can go over them in a general sense. We aren’t legal experts, but running away is normally just considered a status offense. The age of majority (adulthood) is 18 in most states, but some states to give certain rights to 17 year-olds. To know for sure, you (or someone you trust) could always contact your local law enforcement. As far as your question about if the cops would go to Missouri, runaway reports are typically entered into a National database so if they came across you, it may not matter what state.

In terms of school, there is something called the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act that helps all homeless (including runaway) youth enroll in school under the idea “enroll now, ask questions later.” So, they may ask questions about your guardian eventually, but this act still allows you access to an education regardless of your living arrangement. More information can be found here: http://center.serve.org/nche/states/...ources.php#map Hopefully that helps and best of luck!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

what if

what if I dye my hair and wear colored contacts and go by something else? even do my makeup differently? would finding me be every states priority? or would the cops even try that hard to find me?

Comment

affect me

will this affect me going to college?

Comment

Thank you for getting back in touch with us and asking more questions. It’s great that you are trying to cover all bases and want to have as much information as possible. Again, we aren’t legally trained here so we can’t say for sure how the police handle different situations if they were to locate you. Unfortunately, it varies from department to department what they will do after a runaway report is filed; some departments will actively look for a youth while some say there isn’t anything they can do. One way you can find out is to call the department and speak with them about their policy regarding runaways; if you would like, we can help you call them to ask questions about what they would do.

It sounds like you are also concerned about going to college in the future. Again, we aren’t legally trained so we can’t say for sure but it is our understanding that once a youth turns 18, the runaway report is no longer on their records since it is usually considered to be a status offense. Speaking to the police or someone in legal aid may be able to give you better answers to your questions. If you are interested in trying to locate legal aid, that is something that we can do for you.

Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are a confidential and anonymous crisis line for youth. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you would like to talk more or explore what options may be available to you. We also have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week if you would rather talk with us that way; those can be found on our website (www.1800runaway.org).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

thanks

thank you, ill be calling my local police depart to find out what they would do

Comment

We're so glad that you have continued to keep in touch with us and keep asking good questions. Please remember that we are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you would like further assistance or information. If you aren't comfortable with calling us, we do have online chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week and that can be found on our website (www.1800runaway.org).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x
              Working...
              X