Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions

Ok... so lately, I've just been under a lot of stress. I HATE school, I HATE the people there, I'm under SO much presure to do be perfect. Ive had some falling outs with a lot of friends, and my family (my mother mainly) is just SO unfair. I dont want to get in to anymore than that.

Well, my boyfriend and I were talking about it and we want to just leave, go somewhere far. Not run-away, so to speak, but just take a break for a while. So I have a few questions.

-Is it ilegal for him to drive me somewhere? We're both under 18.

-Is it still 'running away' if you're planning on coming back in a week or so?

-What will happen if we're out of state lines?

-What about school?

Theres just so many things Im worried about, but I REALLY need a break...

Re: Questions

Thanks for writing in. It sounds like your dealing with a lot right now. You mentioned being very overwhelmed with school, friends, and family. It’s understandable that you feel like you want to get away for a little bit. It seems that you want to leave, but don’t have any intention of staying away forever. Have you ever left home without your parent’s permission before? What do you think will happen if you decide to leave? If you do leave, how long do you think you would stay away for?

It sounds like you’re thinking a lot about going, but that you’re trying to look at both the pros and the cons of the situation. If you do decide to leave and do not have your parent’s permission, they have every right to make a runaway report, seeing that they are your legal guardians. In most states if a runaway report is made, and the police find you, they are generally just going to bring you back home. You mentioned something about leaving with your boyfriend and taking the car, if he is underage, his parents would be able to file a runaway report on him as well. Now as far as any repercussions for taking the car or missing school, we wouldn’t be able to say for sure what would happen. All states are different, and as said before the biggest concern would probably be returning you to your parents. Although it would be up to your parents and the police to decide if any other punishments would be administered. How do you think your parents would react if you left, and what do you think they would do when you returned? Have you spoken with your parents about how much stress and pressure you are under? Do you think you could take a weekend away to take a break from things? Do you have any friends or family you could stay with?

In the end it’s definitely your decision, but it seems like a good idea that you are looking at the situation from different sides. If you want to talk more about what is going on or have other questions you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are a completely confidential hotline and there is someone here 24 hours a day. If you are thinking of leaving or already have left and want to talk through the options, you can always give us a call. We also have a wide range of services in our database if there is anything you would like us to look up. It sounds like a frustrating situation, so even if you just need someone to listen we are here for that as well. Best of luck with everything. You can write us back or call anytime.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X