14 y/o runaway

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 y/o runaway

my 14 y/o keeps leaving home this last time shes been gone over a week and turned up at my moms. Before I call the police to go verify that shes there what can I do legally? they keep telling me theyre going to detain her because shes a repeat offender and they never do. Ive filed numerous reports on her and don't know what else to do

RE: 14 y/o runaway

Thank you so much for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re here to listen; here to help. It must be very frustrating to continually have to deal with your 14 year old daughter running away and to feel as though you have little support. You seem like a very resourceful and caring mother who will not stop trying to find the assistance she needs in such a difficult situation.

You have definitely been doing all that you can! Filing a runaway report for your child when s/he runs is a great start. We at the National Runaway Safeline make no claim to be legal experts or lawyers; we encourage those with specific legal questions to talk to their local legal aid offices and/or law enforcement. See the following link for a helpful source for parents of runaways:

http://teenrescue.us/wp-content/uplo...waybooklet.pdf

Since it sounds like your local police have not been following through with detaining her, there are other options you may want to consider. We encourage you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY so that we could provide you with support more tailored to your specific situation. We also have a live chat option that is available every day from 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST.

Have you considered a CINS/FINS program that may be available in your state? CINS stands for Children in Need of Services and FINS stands for Family in Need of Services. Many states have these programs and they help parents of minors who have exhausted all resources and seem to be out of control. Each state has its own protocol and procedures. Here is a link that explains a CINS/FINS program in the state of Florida:

http://www.jud11.flcourts.org/SCSingle.aspx?pid=375

Again, we would like to say that you’ve been doing the best that you can with what you know. We sincerely hope that things get better for you and your situation. You’ve done great thus far! Thank you too for reaching out to us to help provide additional support. We hope to hear from you soon so that we can provide your case with the individual attention it deserves. In the event that we do not, we hope that you receive the breakthrough that you are searching for!

Best,

The National Runaway Safeline
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X