Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 17 and I can't stand living in this house anymore!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod1
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It sounds like your mom's actions are creating a really stressful home environment. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. You mentioned that your mom has threatened abuse before. Absolutely no one deserves to be abused. If you are currently at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/.

You mentioned that you were thinking about suicide last year, we care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

Coming out can be a scary process since it requires a certain degree of vulnerability and holds a lot of uncertainty. Your bravery and resilience throughout this process is so admirable. You are not alone in this and the LGBT National Youth Talkline is a great resource that offers support for young people in similar situations to your own. The hotline is run by those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can reach them by calling 1-800-246-7743 or you can check out their website at gltbhotline.org. You can also check out the Trevor Project, an organization dedicated to helping LGBT teens, by calling 866-488-7386 or by going to thetrevorproject.org.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    I'm 16 and want to move from Oklahoma to Canada to get away from my mom.
    She's completely unreasonable to me, and she somehow finds a way to stress me out every day. She's also an alcoholic and she and my dad smoke. Most of the time, my dad will side with her. Every time something about what she says or tells me to do stresses me out, it makes me want to leave more and more and more. I've even thought about suicide about a year ago. I've got a boyfriend online who lives in Canada and wouldn't mind me staying with him. My mom's heavily christian, and wants me and dad to constantly go to church, and she's threaten to abuse me and throw me out of the house if I come out as gay, even though personally I've decided to be pansexual. Please help. I wanna get out of here.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. It sounds like you are thinking about leaving home. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options.

A helpful start could be to reach out to friends or family members who you might be able to stay with. Now, there can be some challenges to leaving home as a minor. The easiest way to leave is with your parent/legal guardian's permission. We understand that this can be very difficult to approach and not always possible. Perhaps a family member or another trusted adult can help you talk with your parent and advocate for your needs. If you decide to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This basically means that your parents can ask police to return you home if they know where you are staying.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i'm 17 and want to runaway

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out, it takes a lot of courage to reach out for help and making that first step show us you are a very strong individual. You do not deserve to be treated so unfairly by your parents and it seems like you have already gone through so much.

Since you are still considered a minor, being in the 9th grade, if you choose to run away, you would not legally get in trouble but your parents/legal guardian do have a right to file a missing child report. If they decide to make that choice, the police may or may not actively search for you but if they find you at a friend’s or family member’s place without your parent/legal guardian’s permission, there is a possibility that they will detain you until your parent/legal guardian picks you up as well as it puts your friend or family member at risk of being fined or it being a misdemeanor for harboring a runaway.

Christmas time is supposed to be a time of happiness and it is unfair that your father is making you feel this way before the holidays. We are glad that you do have someone like you grandmother trying to advocate for you, although I see how it must be frustrating with her getting older. If you do ever feel unsafe, for whatever reason, you can text 44357 the words SAFE & [your location] and they will reply with the nearest safe place and their information for you to contact them.

If you want to talk more in depth about what is going on at home, we are able to provide some resources you may be interested in, so do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or send us a chat at www.1800runaway.org, we are 24/7, toll free, and completely confidential. We are here for you and here to support you.

-NRS

Guest replied
    I want to move out I love with my grandma and my dad my mom is a drug head and abandoned me she Dosent care about me my grandma is getting old my dad Dosent care about me he puts me down all the time yells at me saying he wants to punch my head in the ground then my grandma yells at him to stop and he says I don’t care if I go to jail he puts me down and says I’m going to be a lowlife just like my momma is he never works we are always broke we never have gas money we pay the bills by the skin of our teeth and it’s his fault he never wants to work to support us Christmas is coming up and he hasent even worked we’re not even putting a tree up this year he gets aggervated I’m not even going to have a Christmas in in 9th grade I’m a freshman and I’m slowly giving up on life I’m tired of him he is just like my mom I just want to run away and never come back here but also I don’t want to get introuble I’m tired of this life I’m tired of being called I’m a peice of ******** and he just puts me down all the time he’s just like my mom I just want to run away god help me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. Often individuals contact us asking a similar question when they are so close the reaching the age of majority. In most states that age is 18 but there are some states where it is higher. You may want to look up your state on like to double check if it is indeed 18. You can reach out to your local NON-emergency police department and ask what that age is for your state.

You have asked if there is a way to leave home and stay on your own. Once you reach the age of majority in your state you are allowed to live wherever you please without parentally permission. You bring up the addition question of also staying on your own. Once you are an adult the other major issue would be the financial situation or job to support independent living. Having a job and/or enough finances would be a large factor.

Again, we are really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help when you are trying to figure out your options. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We are here to listen, here to help 24/7, call 1800RUNAWAY or on the internet at www.1800runaway.org

Guest replied
    If I'm two weeks being 18. Is there away that I can leave home and stay on my own

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The national Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and we are here to listen. We are not legal experts but in most states the legal age to leave home is 18 years old. Because you are still considered a minor if you left home, you could be considered as a runaway. Running awy is not a criminal offense it is a legal offense. What that means is that if the police found you they would most likely bring you back home. You could try getting permission to stay at a relative house or a friend’s house. We know having these conversations can sometimes be difficult. At NRS we offer conference calling where if you call us we can call out to your parents and help support you in having these conversations. We hope this information was useful in your situation, if you have any other questions or would like to discuss more please feel free to give us a call we are available 24/7. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Im 17 an i dont wanna live with my family anymore how do i tell them

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about your situation and can understand that it can be really stressful and scary to not have a home. If you give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 we would be able to look up resources for you like shelters or transitional living programs (TLP). TLP's provide housing but often also provide other services like counseling and employment help. To help you the best, we would need to know your gender and city/state, so don't hesitate to give us a call for those. We also might be able to walk through other options with you, like identifying the people in your life that could help or looking at other programs that could be more suited to your situation.

Let us know how we can best help,

NRS

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    We want to thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that often times life gets hard and it is even harder to seek help and support. However we hope that we can listen and help in any way we can.
    From what we gather about your situation money is tough right now and it is hard to be on a time crunch. There are a couple options you could do. One is that you find a shelter near your area that might house you for a while or the second option being that you find whats called a transitional housing program. These programs help you find a job and provide you with a place to live so that you can focus on finding a job. Because our databases work in correlation to city and state we suggest you give us a call or go online and use our chat option to find out more specific information to your situation. If not you can also use the Homeless Shelter Directory (www.homelessshelterdirectory.org) to find shelters in your area.
    Again we want to thank you for reaching out to us. We know that it took a lot for you to reach out and we want you to know we value your story and all that you’ve been through. We hope that you can find a solution to your current situation. If you do happen to have more questions or concerns please do not hesitate to call us at (1-800-786-2929) or online at (www.1800runaway.org ) on our chat option.
    Best Wishes-NRS

Guest replied
    I have a situation going on someone help please!

I’m 17 and my mum has said I am not living at the house anymore and told me to leave. I am at a friends house only for a week then I must leave, I need to get some housing sorted such as a apartment of something but I don’t know where or how to go about this situation. I have a lot going on already at the moment such as full time college, mental health issues and no job so I have no money either all I get is a college bursary which is obviously used for me to travel to college and eat at college. I literally have no idea what to do right now and I’m on a time limit by next week I have nowhere to stay at all. I really don’t know how to go about this and it’s affecting how I am at college and my mental health too

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about all that you have faced and want you to know that your life is valuable and you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. If you ever need someone to talk to, at any time, you can reach out to both the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or to the Rape Abuse and Incest National Network at 1-800-656-4673. They are there to support and listen while also offering resources that you might want. Don't hesitate to give them a call.

We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that because you are a minor, if you leave home and your mom files a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your mom, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). One other thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. Give us a call if you need help finding that number.

Stay safe,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi Um.. I really don't know if this is important or not but basically me and my mom have bee fighting for a few weeks now and everything I say turns into an argument even though I don't want it to and I always try to deescalate the situation but it somehow ends up worse to the point she looks at me and calls me trash and wishes I was never born. She also doesn't trust me... She never really has but I'm not bad I get decent grades I don't drink or do drugs but yet I can't go out with friends with the automatic assumption that if it's a guy he's my boyfriend (I'm not allowed to date) or if it's a girl she's taking me to my boyfriend I hate the way she talks to me and the mistrust I just feel so trapped and like I have no say over my own life and I hate it. I also have some issues. I tried committing suicide for the first time when I was in 2nd grade I felt like I was trash and no one loved me which is a stupid reason to want to die I guess but it was my reason. Also around that time I was getting molested by my family member which I guess added on to that and if I'm being honest I still feel that way like I'm all alone today and kinda feel like dying (wow that took a turn) idk I'm just tired of fighting and letting her determine my happiness I don't want to always be angry and upset and sad I just want to leave and be happy but I really can't leave (I'm 17 btw) can you help me with a plan even with the jumbled mess I just wrote
    ​​

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X