Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 17 and I can't stand living in this house anymore!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a 19 year old currently in collage.. I cant stand my parents.. They always want me at home i have no friends i lost al of them coz of my parents.. I don't have a social life i cant hung out with my classmate i feel so sad... Home has become boring they are just ti stricked... I really hate them now because they make my life a livin hell. How i wish they could allow me to go out once in a while.... Have fun with friends and feel the happiness of having friends...

Comment

Re:

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It must be really isolating feeling like you can’t spend time with friends and classmates. It’s understandable that this would make you sad and it’s good that you are trying to figure out how to overcome this problem.

How have you talked to your parents about this in the past? Do you think that there might be another approach you can take when talking to them. Is there anyone (maybe a relative or a family friend) that might be able to talk to your parents on your behalf? Sometimes it’s good just to talk to someone about problems going on at home. Does you college have a counseling center? We’re also here if you need someone to listen. We would be happy to talk more about different ways that you could approach your parents about how they’re actions are making you feel.

Best of luck,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Re: I'm 17 and I can't stand living in this house anymore!

[QUOTE=Worthless;9030]I'm 13 and a high school sen.Lately in this house everything is argument. It all started because I did not want to go to church anymore. I told her that I did not want to preach anymore or go on Wednesdays night. If anything I would just go on Sundays. I'll be 18 in 4 months but it seems like the older I got the more restrictions I got from my mother. I live with both parents. My dad doesn't really get involved with the situation. He just tells me to not become another statistic and to finish my education. That is what I plan on doing. I am not a bad kid. I come home from school and help her with the baby. I don't mind helping because as her daughter I know that it is my responsibility to help. But my mom takes it to a whole new level. I come home lets say about 4pm and I help her till 9pm. Then I shower and start my homework about 10- 10:30. I got to sleep about 1 or 2 am. On weekends she doesn't let me go out unless I preach and not even that. She doesn't let me go out period. She asks me who I will be with, where I'm going, what exactly will I do, etc. If I go out its only for like 3 hours. She tells me she gives me "space" but I don't see it. She took the lock off my door and replaced it with one that doesn't have a lock. The reason for that was because she walked in my room one day and she thought I was doing some type of drug because I was extremely pale with purple lips. Turns out I was really sick and I wasn't aware of it. Anyways, I currently have a boyfriend (if she found out she would flip!) My dad met him and he likes him. My mom on the other hand wants me to marry someone from church. But during the summer she accused me of being a lesbian for the simple fact that my best friend slept over the house for a couple days. Like where else was she supposed to sleep!? After that incident I never brought my friend over again. My mom is really judgmental. She basis herself off looks. If they don't look "innocent" I can't be friends with them. I don't understand her. She tells me that she's protecting me from the world. But really she's just creating a child who has a lot of secrets. Strict parents create sneaky kids and that is what I have become. I want to move out when I turn 18 but I know that it'll turn into a big argument. I don't know what to do. There is so much more to this story but I need someone to talk to.They call me a baby and it's not

Comment

RE: Re: I'm 17 and I can't stand living in this house anymore!

We are so sorry to hear that things are tough for you at home and it seems like your mom is having a hard time letting you grow up and make your own decisions. It also seems like your mom relies on you to help and you are stepping up by helping with the baby. You sound like a mature, bright young woman and take your future seriously, but you have differing opinions than your mom on what this looks like at this moment in time. It’s great that you have a good relationship with your father, but you say he does not get involved. Perhaps there is a way to appeal to him so he does stand up to your mother with you. It’s great that your father met your boyfriend and likes him, and one option may be to ask your father to tell your mom about him, along with you, so maybe she won’t get upset about it.
          You said there is much more to this story. Sometimes, the best way to communicate all of this is on the phone. We are here 24/7 for your to call at your convenience. We can explore your situation in greater detail and try to work with you on a plan of action that either allows you to be able to get along with your mother and/or be able to leave home when you turn 18. We are here to listen and support you however we can. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
          Last edited by ccsmod1; 02-12-2016, 01:29 PM.
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Originally posted by Worthless View Post
            I'm 17 and a high school senior. My mom just recently had a baby, he's 3 months now. Lately in this house everything is argument. It all started because I did not want to go to church anymore. I told her that I did not want to preach anymore or go on Wednesdays night. If anything I would just go on Sundays. I'll be 18 in 4 months but it seems like the older I got the more restrictions I got from my mother. I live with both parents. My dad doesn't really get involved with the situation. He just tells me to not become another statistic and to finish my education. That is what I plan on doing. I am not a bad kid. I come home from school and help her with the baby. I don't mind helping because as her daughter I know that it is my responsibility to help. But my mom takes it to a whole new level. I come home lets say about 4pm and I help her till 9pm. Then I shower and start my homework about 10- 10:30. I got to sleep about 1 or 2 am. On weekends she doesn't let me go out unless I preach and not even that. She doesn't let me go out period. She asks me who I will be with, where I'm going, what exactly will I do, etc. If I go out its only for like 3 hours. She tells me she gives me "space" but I don't see it. She took the lock off my door and replaced it with one that doesn't have a lock. The reason for that was because she walked in my room one day and she thought I was doing some type of drug because I was extremely pale with purple lips. Turns out I was really sick and I wasn't aware of it. Anyways, I currently have a boyfriend (if she found out she would flip!) My dad met him and he likes him. My mom on the other hand wants me to marry someone from church. But during the summer she accused me of being a lesbian for the simple fact that my best friend slept over the house for a couple days. Like where else was she supposed to sleep!? After that incident I never brought my friend over again. My mom is really judgmental. She basis herself off looks. If they don't look "innocent" I can't be friends with them. I don't understand her. She tells me that she's protecting me from the world. But really she's just creating a child who has a lot of secrets. Strict parents create sneaky kids and that is what I have become. I want to move out when I turn 18 but I know that it'll turn into a big argument. I don't know what to do. There is so much more to this story but I need someone to talk to.
            From all the things that i have read untill now i didnt notice anyone telling u She is ur mom Try to be a little understandfull..Now things are like this but with time Things will change..Ur mom or ur family are a precious thing Some people dont have them .. Dont think about going to live alone cause if u do U will regret it..Im a person That knows well The word Loneliness So im talking from my own experience...When U lose the people around u Than u will realize how much u miss them.. Dont do anything that u will regret..Remember she is ur mother Try to be more mature She cares about u and she wants whats best of u Plus Maybe she is stressed maybe u have a hard life All thesse thing will affect..Ur younger and smarter U should be more understandfull..Anyway im telling u again Dont think about being lonely Cause u still dont know what lonely means..Stay with ur parents and family Its where u belong

Comment

Re: Re: I'm 17 and I can't stand living in this house anymore!

Hi there,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings on our forum. It sounds like you feel rather strongly about a mother and child’s relationship. We really appreciate your thoughtfulness.
              Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we recognize each individual has different experiences in life and different stories, which is why we do not tell anyone what they should or should not do. While we recognize that something may work for one person, we want to be clear it may not work for another. It sounds like you have felt loneliness and that has strongly affected you. You are welcome to call or chat with us any time and we can see how we can be of assistance to you.

Please do not hesitate to reach out. We’re here 24/7.

Best,
              NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

I can't stand my mom!!!!

Ok... So I am a 13 yr old boy who is fed up with his mother. I am sick and tired of her saying mean things to me and is treating me like trash. She always picks on me, and I am the second kid out of four kids. She thinks my sister is this "perfect little angle, who would do nothing wrong" and it gets on my nerves. It doesn't help that my step-dad doesn't really do anything, and I haven't seen my biological father in 9 years!! Whenever my siblings are getting out of hand, I try to control the situation by attempting to get them to stop whatever they are doing. Of course, all my mom does is slap me and says" stop bossing them!!" Even if I try to help. On the other hand though, If my sister does the same thing, she doesn't as so much blink an eye. I usaually try to go the "extra mile" and do things when i'm not told to. But this usually ends up in chaos..... I just don't know what to do anymore I feel useless, empty, and hated. But don't get me wrong, I don't cut or anything, I don't want to commit suicide. I am just fed up. Please Help!! Or at least advice!!!!

Comment

Hello,

First off, thank you so much for reaching out. It sounds like things at home have been difficult and you’re feeling misunderstood. It also sounds like you care a lot about your family, even when they may not be showing you they care back. That can be really hard!

Sometimes, it can be frustrating to feel that your actions are going unnoticed or unappreciated. Have you tried sitting down with your mother and discussing how you feel? If you don’t feel comfortable speaking to her directly, maybe there’s someone at school that you might feel comfortable talking to. Of course, you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you want to talk more about what you’ve been dealing with. We’re always here to listen.

Thank you again for taking the time to reach out and taking an important step to getting help. We here at NRS are here to support you and help in any way we can. Please feel free to call us or chat us any time.

Wishing you the best,
                  NRS

Comment

I'm 17 and I don't I can live at home anymore. Both of my parents regularly drink alcohol even on a school night and they also take drugs. I don't have anywhere I can live permantely either. I need help

Comment

• ccsmod6
                      ccsmod6 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like the situation you’re going through is really stressful and even scary. We can only imagine how living in that kind of environment must make you feel.

There’s a couple of different routes you can take in this kind of situation. We know you mentioned you don’t have somewhere to stay permanently, but staying at a friend’s house when things are especially rough at home could be a good option. You can also talk to a school counselor or even a friend about what’s going on in your house, as it could take the stress of your shoulders so you don’t have to carry all of that on your own.

When it comes to running away, that can be kind of tricky since you are under 18. Because of that, your parents have the right to file a runaway report if you leave. Although running away isn’t illegal it is considered a status offense, so the police would be looking for you and would have to take you back home if they found you. If there is abuse going on at home or you feel like you are being neglected, you have the right to tell the police about that. Your safety is important, and if you feel like you are unsafe at home it might be a good idea to bring attention to it.

If you need any specific resources, including shelter resources or hotlines that may help you, please fel free to reach out to us again! You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, email us at [email protected], or chat with us when our chat is opened.

We wish you the best of luck!

What do i do or where do i go if i don't wan to live with my family but i'm still to young to get emancipated. i'm only 11. none of my friend will take me in. id do almost anything to get out of this house. i don't know how to get into the foster care system. ik most people want to get out of the system but i'm different. if i don't find a way to get out of this house i'm gonna kms. 5 attempts at running away and 3 attempts at suicide yet i'm still here complaining to a dumb f***en computer.

Comment

• ccsmod6
                      ccsmod6 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you for your forum post. It’s great that you have reached out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time at home. It sounds like you have gone through some really painful experiences, but the fact that you have taken the time to contact us before making any decisions shows that you are thinking about your situation in a mature way.

You talked about feeling suicidal and even attempting suicide before. It was really brave for you to write that so someone could know how you are feeling. There is a free number that you can call where people are trained to help you when you are feeling suicidal. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can be reached at 800-273-8255. You can also call us at 800-786-2929 or chat with us using the link on our website.

You also talked about wanting to leave home. There are a lot of reasons why some people don’t want to live with their families. It could be that some family members are always arguing with you, and that makes it difficult to feel comfortable at home. It’s also possible that your family has some very strict rules that limit what you can do at home or at school or even restrict who you can spend time with. If someone at home is hurting you or treating you in an abusive way, then it is totally understandable that you would want to leave your home for a place where you feel safe. You can call or chat with us to talk more about your situation and even learn about some places close to your home that may be able to help.

You did mention that you have tried to reach out to some friends for a place to stay. In some cities, if you stay over at a friend’s house without your family’s permission, your friend’s parents could get in trouble with the police. Another thing you could think about is to talk to someone at school about what’s going on in your home. If there is a teacher, counselor, coach, or some other adult at your school that you really trust, you could talk to them and even ask for advice on what to do next.

It is great that you have reached out to us to tell us about how you’re feeling. The fact that you are trying to get some advice is great! Again, we at the National Runaway Safeline are always here to talk over the phone or chat. We are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

hi im currently 16 years old and i live with my dad and my step mom recently it has seemed that none of them want me around and people always tell me there just saying things out of hurt when it feels the total opposite of that its harder everyday because it seems like they are giving up on me and that i am just an obstacle/bother to them and that hurts but being in this situation i feel like not even living in this house anymore and i dont know exactly what to do i feel like just leaving but than there is the issue with all the police and everything getting involved and im just confused

Comment

Reply: Hi im currently 16 years old

Hello,
                      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing us about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through your difficult time.
                      We understand that it can be frustrating when there is a breakdown in communication and feelings get hurt. NRS is here to listen and here to help.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance.
                      If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take Care,
                      NRS

Comment

I can't stand my dad he is always yelling at me for something stupid. I work ar caseys and we close at 11, he yelled at me because I didn't get home till 11:30 but I had to clean paperwork and help the kitchen person and he got mad at me for being home at 11:30. The other day I asked if I could go to the movies with a friend, my friend was a boy and he was Somalian he said some racist things about him which made me mad and said I couldn't go and grabbed the keys and left I was really upset because lately all we do is argue and this little thing just got me mad so I went to stay and grandmas he texted me later that night saying "wtf are you with that ********ing n***** I said no and said were I was. Lately everything I ask to do or do he gets mad because I'm never home or do anything to help around the house. I help babysitt when my mom is at work and he wants to drink and hangout with friends, and I clean help my mom clean. I wanna stay home to be with my mom and help her out but I hate my dad, what do I do? My dad has hit me (not to hard but still) just because one time we were messing around with each other and we were play fighting and I threw a book at him and he came back and slapped me but we were just playing fighting and I was like 15. When he is drunk he comes to me and says sorry he loves me and will never hurt me in anyway again but still goes back to doing it again the next day. This one time when I was like 14-15 we got in a huge argument because I sent a text to my uncle that was Meant for someone else and I sad I wish he would just leave and he always picking on me and being mean can he just go back to Mexico and it was meant to my uncle but accidentally sent the uncle it was about to him and he saw Mexico and assumed it was for my dad so he showed him it he came to my room yelled at me and said some mean things to me and slammed door and walked out. I got really mad I just packed bag and went ohome grandmas. Every time we argue I just wanna either runaway or cut my wrist it's hard because we used to be so close when I was little then something happened.

Comment

• ccsmod15
                          ccsmod15 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hello,

Thank you for contacting NRS. It sounds like you have been going through a lot lately, and even for the last few years. Firstly, we want you to know that what you have been going through at the hands of your dad is not your fault, and that you do not deserve to be treated this way. It sounds like you feel abused and misunderstood, and rightfully so. Even though your dad says he loves you, his behavior is driving you away which can be frustrating. You seem like a hard worker and it sounds like you just want a good relationship with your dad, but unfortunately it has not been working out that way.

Your safety is our number one priority. If you ever feel unsafe or think you are in immediate physical danger, please call 9-1-1. In the meantime, if you ever feel the urge to cut yourself, you can visit To Write Love On Her Arms at www.twloha.com or call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

It is not easy to reach out for support, and we admire your courage. If possible, please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) so we can discuss your situation further. We are available 24/7. Your well-being is important and we would like to help and support you in any way possible.

Take Care,
                          The National Runaway Safeline

Hi, I'm 20 Years Old, And I Can't Stand My Parents Anymore Because They Always Treat Me Like A Slave, I Wanted To Move Away To Another Country, and Will It Be Okay If I Move To Another Country So I Don't Like To Live With My Parents Anymore

Comment

• ccsmod6
                          ccsmod6 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you so much for reaching out to us at National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear you are frustrated with your parents and living at home, but glad you took the brave step to ask for help. We hope we can offer you some options. Please know if you want to talk in more detail about what’s making you feel frustrated about living at home, our volunteer liners are available to talk confidentially 24/7 at 1800RUNAWAY.
                          This sounds like a really frustrating situation. It sounds like you feel that your parents take advantage of your help and you don’t feel appreciated. We understand why you’d like to get away after feeling like that for a long period. Thank you for talking to us about it. Have you tried letting your parents know you feel this way? We know it can be hard to talk to parents, especially when you feel like you’re not being heard and fighting is the usual result. We offer a conference call service you might be interested in. This is where one of our volunteers acts as a moderator between you and your parents. It might help you let them know how you’re feeling, and our volunteers help steer the conversation so all parties can speak without getting overwhelmed by anger. Think about it or feel free to call one of our volunteers to learn more about it.
                          Have you thought about moving out? You are 20 years old, which makes you a legal adult. You’re parents can’t make you stay with them. As long as you start thinking about it seriously and start planning, you can move out. If you’re really serious, you can even leave the country! (https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-) Although, that is the most expensive option since you’d have to save for a flight, apply for a visa and a passport and hope to find a job when you get there. Do you have a job where you live now? Have you thought about where you would like to live or how much you would need to make in order to do so? It can be daunting and overwhelming to think about, so narrow the picture. Have you started saving? Even if it’s just a few bucks a week, it could feel really good to know that you’re working toward your goal of moving out.
                          I hope this helps. Please know if you’d like to talk about this more our liners are available to talk 24/7 at 1800RUNAWAY. Thanks again for reaching out and best of luck!

I'm a 17 year old and I turn 18 in 4 months . I'm done living with my mom . I can't no more . My life has been living hell since I've been 11 years old . My mom ex abused my mom and they have always fought and I became suicidal . I went to therapy about 1 year and a half and thing were perfectly fine until my mom got with someone else . They fight so much and I can't do it no more. It's July 2 , 10:26 pm and I wanna leave but I know my mom can call the cops and I can get introuble . I don't know what to do I'm tired , and I just wanna be left alone and not live here. I love with my mom and two siblings and her partner . My siblings are 7 and other is 5 . I am the oldest. I don't know what to do and I need help or advice . I'm scared and alone and tired .

Comment

• ccsmod2
                          ccsmod2 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hey,

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

NRS
                      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      x
                      Working...
                      X