•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS in what seems to be a tough time for you. It seems like you are familiar with runaway laws having experienced them already. Generally if there is a runaway report, or missing persons’ report out on you it will go nationwide at missingkids.org, and within police channels.
    As for how long it takes to respond that depends on a lot of things so we really can’t speak to a timeline on them potentially finding you.
    If you have more questions or just want to vent about your current situation you can always reach out to our hotline at 1-800-786-2929. We also want you to know that you have our support and we want to help you and make things as safe as possible.

Guest replied
    ive been wanting to run away for months now and i have a few times just never far enough for my family not to find me. i have been thinking about running away with a friend. i just want to know if the police will make it so the whole U.S knows im gone, and how long does it take for police to find somone that has ran away to another state or city.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    HI,
    Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. It sounds like being grounded for over three months, compounded by the emotional abuse that you are suffering has taken a huge toll on your mental health. It is understandable that you are experiencing depression and anxiety, and feeling like you want to hurt yourself due to all of this is also a part of how you are being treated.

You have been very strong and brave. It takes bravery and Intelligence to search for help and to talk about the things that hurt. Thank you for trusting us.

The very best way we can help you, both by searching for a shelter in your area or other options that might suit you, is by talking with you. We are here for you to listen and to help, and we are confidential and are here 24/7.

You can reach us either by phone at 1800-786-2929 (1800-runaway), or via live chat through www.1800runaway.org Either way, we will be able to have a conversation to help you discover your options.

We hope to hear from you soon,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 16 years old and I live with my step mother, father, two half siblings, and a cousin that we adopted. I've been grounded for over three months and I'm dealing with lots of emotional abuse that is really making me depressed and anxious. I want to get emancipated but they won't allow me to drive or get a job. If I did leave home without permission, where would I go? I just need to get away from them before I end up hurting myself because of them.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello! Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline! It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, but it is great that your friend is helping you out. It is hard what to say what would happen with the police since you are so close to 18. At 17, you are technically still a minor and your dad is legally responsible for you. This means that you would need his permission to stay elsewhere. If he were to get the police involved he could potentially charge your friend’s parents with harboring a runaway, but since you are so close to 18 there really is not telling how the situation would be handled. One thing you could do is call your local police station anonymously and see how they would handle it.
    You are always welcome to call us as well! We have two service that you might want to utilize. The first one is called a conference call. This is a three way call between you, your dad, and one of our liners. You would be able to talk to your dad with someone else on the line who could keep the call running smoothly. Our second service we offer is our message service. You can call in to our line and leave a message with us for your dad. Your dad would then have to call us to retrieve that message. It could just be to tell him you are safe or when you plan on coming home. We also have a plethora of resources we can offer you such as transportation resources or mental health resources. You can reach us at 1800-786-2929 or chat with us via our live chat at www.1800runaway.org. We are 24/7 and confidential.
    Stay safe!
    National Runaway Safeline

Guest replied
    My dad kicked me out and I'm 17 and he's trying to make me go back home and I don't want to. Can he get me for running away with me being 17? And I'm staying at a friends house and can he get their parents for kidnapping since he kicked me out?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. While we are not legal experts, we do have a great deal of experience working with runaways. It is our understanding that running away is not illegal and you will not get arrested or into legal trouble for doing it. Your guardian could file a runaway report with the police if you are considered a minor, but this would not mean you are in trouble, it would only mean that the police could return you home if they encountered you. Basically, the most trouble you might get into is from your guardian. If you want to talk about your situation further or what options you have, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 18,and live in mississippi, would I get in trouble for hanging out with my friends after my guardian said no?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing what’s going on.

It sounds like your friend is going through a hard time. She does not deserve to be treated like that. We are not legal experts, however in the state of Mississippi until she turns 21 she is considered a minor and can be brought back home if a police report is filed and whoever she lives with could be charged with harboring a runaway.She can also reach out to NAMI at 1-800-950-NAMI or text NAMI to 741741 for counseling resources. Family counseling can be helpful in many situations

If she likes she can call us at our confidential 24x7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); or live chat with us at www.1800runaway.org.

You are doing great by trying to help your friend. We wish her the best

Best
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 07-13-2019, 11:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Help! I have a friend that recently left home and is staying with a friend. She is 18 years old and her Mom and step Dad have been verbally abusing her. They have treated her like a slave. She has to watch her sister and brother. She does all household chores, cooks and laundry. She rarely complains because she is afraid of her step dad. She will be starting to college in a few weeks and all expenses are taken care of because she got scholarships. She will be living on campus. Could her parents call her a runaway? They know where she is. They are mad!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there, thanks for posting. Sounds like home is really difficult between your dad being abusive and having to live with your cousin.
    Your safety is our first priority. We can help you find safe shelter, food, access to other services, etc. We are 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 and by live chat here on our website so reach out anytime for more help with that!

Because you mentioned abuse, Child Help may also be helpful: 1-800-422-4453, childhelp.org. they can help you better understand what abuse is, how to report it if you want to, and how to get custody transferred to a safe adult. You mentioned your dad has sent threatening messages. We are not legal experts here at all, but if reporting is something you want to do or if those messages make you feel like you do not want to go home, saving those messages may help police or child protection better understand your situation and see that your dad may not be a safe person to live with.

We are here to support you in any way we can, such as in finding a safe place to stay, as well as reporting the abuse if you want to do that. That decision is always up to you though and you can call and talk to us anonymously without a report being filed if you so choose.

We are 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 and through live chat at the top of this page. We can best help directly so please reach out anytime!

Stay safe! -NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 17 years old, live in mississippi, and I was reported as a runaway 4 days ago. My father has full costody however he makes me lice with my cousin. My father has a history of being abusive and since I left hes sent me mocking messages, and threatening punishment if I come home. I have no problem going home, it's what will happen when i get their that worries me.. What do I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runway Safeline. We appreciate you contacting us in your time of need, it was very brave of you.

It sounds like your parents are putting you in the middle of their issues, which isn’t fair for you and must be really stressful on you. You should have a say when it where you want to live. Unfortunately, you’re still a minor at the age of 17. We’re not legal experts ourselves but we can explain what we have heard. One parent is usually given primary custody, being your legal guardian, they are the only one who can give you permission to live elsewhere. So that means that if you did leave without permission, your parent could report you as a runaway. If the police find you, they will return you to your custodial parent. We have heard of a Harboring a

Runaway charge when people let runaway stay with them, but it’s uncommon and we aren’t sure how it would work out if it’s a grandparent.

We offer a conference calling service, between youth and their parents. Sometimes just being able to talk can be a way to open up the lines of communication, and see the best way that everyone can compromise.

We hope our response is helpful. In addition, talking to school counselors and teachers about what’s going on at home could provide you with great support. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website.

Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    What can happen when a 17 year old with only one parent and step parent (the other signed their rights away completely) runs away to a grandparents house with no rights either? Can we have the child picked back up or the grandparent who has been harboring her be picked up?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi,

It can be difficult to ask for help, and we are glad you reached out today. We are not legal experts and consequences for running away can differ from city to city. Calling a non-emergency police number for your city can be a helpful resource for answering your legal questions.

In addition to being available by bulletin, we operate a 24/7 hotline (1-800-786-2929) and are always here to provide additional support and referrals. We can help locate additional legal resources and help brainstorm some options for staying safe if you decide to leave home.

Do not hesitate to give us a call.

Good luck,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X