Mississippi Runaway

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad kicked me out and I'm 17 and he's trying to make me go back home and I don't want to. Can he get me for running away with me being 17? And I'm staying at a friends house and can he get their parents for kidnapping since he kicked me out?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello! Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline! It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, but it is great that your friend is helping you out. It is hard what to say what would happen with the police since you are so close to 18. At 17, you are technically still a minor and your dad is legally responsible for you. This means that you would need his permission to stay elsewhere. If he were to get the police involved he could potentially charge your friend’s parents with harboring a runaway, but since you are so close to 18 there really is not telling how the situation would be handled. One thing you could do is call your local police station anonymously and see how they would handle it.
      You are always welcome to call us as well! We have two service that you might want to utilize. The first one is called a conference call. This is a three way call between you, your dad, and one of our liners. You would be able to talk to your dad with someone else on the line who could keep the call running smoothly. Our second service we offer is our message service. You can call in to our line and leave a message with us for your dad. Your dad would then have to call us to retrieve that message. It could just be to tell him you are safe or when you plan on coming home. We also have a plethora of resources we can offer you such as transportation resources or mental health resources. You can reach us at 1800-786-2929 or chat with us via our live chat at www.1800runaway.org. We are 24/7 and confidential.
      Stay safe!
      National Runaway Safeline

I'm 16 years old and I live with my step mother, father, two half siblings, and a cousin that we adopted. I've been grounded for over three months and I'm dealing with lots of emotional abuse that is really making me depressed and anxious. I want to get emancipated but they won't allow me to drive or get a job. If I did leave home without permission, where would I go? I just need to get away from them before I end up hurting myself because of them.

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      HI,
      Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. It sounds like being grounded for over three months, compounded by the emotional abuse that you are suffering has taken a huge toll on your mental health. It is understandable that you are experiencing depression and anxiety, and feeling like you want to hurt yourself due to all of this is also a part of how you are being treated.

You have been very strong and brave. It takes bravery and Intelligence to search for help and to talk about the things that hurt. Thank you for trusting us.

The very best way we can help you, both by searching for a shelter in your area or other options that might suit you, is by talking with you. We are here for you to listen and to help, and we are confidential and are here 24/7.

You can reach us either by phone at 1800-786-2929 (1800-runaway), or via live chat through www.1800runaway.org Either way, we will be able to have a conversation to help you discover your options.

We hope to hear from you soon,
      NRS

ive been wanting to run away for months now and i have a few times just never far enough for my family not to find me. i have been thinking about running away with a friend. i just want to know if the police will make it so the whole U.S knows im gone, and how long does it take for police to find somone that has ran away to another state or city.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS in what seems to be a tough time for you. It seems like you are familiar with runaway laws having experienced them already. Generally if there is a runaway report, or missing persons’ report out on you it will go nationwide at missingkids.org, and within police channels.
      As for how long it takes to respond that depends on a lot of things so we really can’t speak to a timeline on them potentially finding you.
      If you have more questions or just want to vent about your current situation you can always reach out to our hotline at 1-800-786-2929. We also want you to know that you have our support and we want to help you and make things as safe as possible.

I'm far behind in school, if i try to talk i get shut out, and i'm always so close to pulling the trigger... I don't know what to do at this point, i cannot stand living under this roof, and frankly, i dont care if i live or die at this point. My life is hell, i have a hernia, minor lung issues, a f**ked up arm with minor nerve damage, and my father thinks i'm making 90% of this up. He has called me a worthless piece of ******** to my face, spat on me, and honestly part of why i want to leave is due to the fact that i'm his only child. If i vanish and/or die, that's it for him. He got himself... Clipped, as a dedication symbolic thing or some******** for his wife. He doesn't want more kids, and i want to end it, but i fear what lies beyond. Hell, next time he comes home, if things haven't improved for me, i might just kill him. I might honestly blow his guts out and watch him bleed. I know where the shotgun is. But i don't want to. I'll only do it if i have to. He's out trucking, so he'll be gone for a few weeks to a few months still, but whether it's me or him, someone will likely die if that time comes. What should i do? I don't want to kill anyone, and i fear what may or may not lie beyond, but eternity in fire and rot is better than this. I live in mississippi, so running away may not be the best choice, but a friend of mine owns a private jet and lives in another country, don't remember where, but it's gotta be better than this. A minor lacks certain rights, and i'm only 16, so this may not be easy for me... What should I do?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, it takes great courage to reach out and we are so glad that you have decided to reach out to us today. It sounds like you are going through a really rough time and we want you to know that you are not alone.

It sounds like you have a lot of health issues and we are sorry to hear that your dad does not believe you. You may want to consider talking to a school nurse about these health issues so that you can get the proper medical attention you deserve.

It sounds like the things your dad has said and done could be abuse and you do have a right to make a report. There are a few ways you can make a report, one option would be to call Child Help at 1800-422-4453 and they would be able to help with making a report. Another option would be to talk with a teacher or school counselor since they are mandated reporters they would be required to make a report. Lastly, you can always contact us by phone or by chat and we would be able to help you with making a report.

We know you mentioned wanting to kill your dad, which would be permanent and have severe consequences. We also realize that you acknowledged not wanting to do this, and it is good that you have reached out. If you feel you are unsafe or your father will be unsafe it is best to call 911 and they would be able to assist. A resource that may be helpful to you is called NAMI (national alliance for mental illnesses). They can be reached at 1800-950-NAMI. Also you can always call The National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1800-273-8255. Your safety is our top concern.
      We are not legal experts but we do have information on the laws. If you were to leave home without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. If running away is your best decision and you need somewhere to stay you can call us and we would be able to help look for a safe place to stay.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options, please give us a call or chat with us online. We are available to you 24/7, we wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

if i miss the bus to ride home from school (i’m in 9th grade) and i get a ride from a friend and my mom doesn’t know where i am am i considered a runaway?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS. It sounds like you want to know more about runaway laws. 18 is usually the age you are able to leave home without permission. This means that if you do not return home, your mom has the option to report you as a runaway. Running away is not illegal and you will not be in any legal trouble, but she can have the police assist with returning you home.

We are available 24/7 by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY and live chat if you have more questions or you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation.

Be safe,
      NRS

Hi our 18 year old son left home and is living with his girlfriend..we live in mississippi and we're wondering if we can file him as a runaway??

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you so much for reaching out to us at NRS today. This must be a really stressful situation for you.
      In most states, 18 is the age of majority. This means that you cannot file a runaway report for someone who is 18 or above. Now the laws in Mississippi are a little different than most states. Meaning that while most states the legal age in which you are considered to be an adult is 18, in Mississippi you have to be 21 years old. So the laws might be different from what you can do at that age. The only way to know for sure of that would be to reach out to your local non-emergency police and ask them if you are able to file a runaway report for an 18-year-old.
      If you want to talk about the situation more in depth or think through some other options you can reach out to us by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or over live chat at 1800runaway.org 24/7.
      Best of luck,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X