17 ill be 18 in 3 months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 ill be 18 in 3 months

I'm almost 18 my mom and me do not get along I want to move out. I have a car and the title and tags r in my name but the insurance is in hers. Can I leave? She said she will call the cops, if she does what kind of trouble am I going to get into? I have some money saved and I have a place to stay. I just need to get away. Please tell me what can happen legally???

Re: 17 ill be 18 in 3 months

Hello,
    Thanks for reaching out to us. Sounds like you’re going through an intense time right now and you’re looking for some answers. We’ll try and help as best as we can.

So you stated that you and mom don’t get along and that you need some time away from that. What is leading you to leave home? Has this been going on for a while? And you’re right, you’re almost 18 and you probably won’t have to deal with legal questions after you’ve reached the age of majority.

As far as her calling the cops, she can do that but we’re not sure what will take place after that. The main thing that can happen is that she lists you as a runaway (which parents are allowed to do before the age of 18 ). If that happens, it might be difficult for you to stay with anyone else without them potentially facing legal issues.

That’s probably not what you wanted to hear but it’s really difficult for young folks to leave home without permission before they’re 18. Is there any way that you and your mom (and possibly a mediator) could sit and have a talk about options for you? Would she ever be open to letting you live elsewhere?

If you’d like to explore some of these options or go over resources that might be available to you, please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’re anonymous, confidential and available 24/7. If that doesn’t work for you, try us on our live chat program from our website. That’s available from 430p-1130p (CST).

We hope to hear from you soon,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X