runaway laws??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• runaway laws??

I'm 15 and from Michigan and I'm going to get emancipated when I'm 16. but until then I need to get away wahh are the laws and legal consquences of someone my age running away? what can my parents and the police do? if they found me would I HAVE to go back home or could I live with another family member? please help!!

re: runaway laws??

Hi there, thanks for contacting us. It sounds like you have already done some research into what would be required for emancipation in Michigan. It’s great that you are thinking ahead and trying to consider some potential obstacles or consequences if you were to leave home before seeking out emancipation. Although we are not legal experts, we can tell you that in most places running away at 16 is considered a status offense which means that you would be returned to your parents or legal guardians if they filed a runaway report and the police found you.

You mention possibly wanting to live with another family member. Is there one in your life that feels safe and supportive? Sometimes it can be helpful to reach out to other adults in your life to talk through how you are feeling about the issues that are making you want to leave. We are here to talk with you also, 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat with us live from 4:30-11:30 pm CST if you feel more comfortable reaching out to us electronically.

Take care,

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X