No announcement yet.

Texas age 13

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m 14 and i’ve always just wanted to runaway, live life, and see where it takes me, adventure, and travel around. Why can’t I be free to do that?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are hungry for adventure. We want you to know that you do not have to run away to get it. People take trips and explore the world all of the time. It just takes some simple planning and a courageous attitude. Having a good plan of where you will stay and how much money you will need is key. The only real challenge would be your age. It may be harder for places to accommodate you but if you have your parents’ permission then doors will open up. If you would like to talk more about a plan and ways to talk to you parents about your desires please feel free to give us a call and we can try to help. 1-800-786-2929
      Best wishes,
      NRS

If a 12 year old were to run away, would there parents no longer have custody over them/ get in trouble? I don't want anything to happen to me or my family but I really just need a break.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like home life has become really stressful and it’s understandable why you want a break. If you left home without their permission, your parents would be allowed to call the police and file a runaway report. That does NOT mean that you are going to get in trouble with the law or get arrested. It just means that if the police find you, they will notify your guardian and then return you home. However, if your parents do not file a runaway report, your parents could possibly get into trouble for what is called neglect, a form of abuse. Additionally, it might be worth it to consider that when you do go home, your parents might punish you or be upset with you for running away. If you want to talk more about what’s going on, please give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

hi i was just wondering is verbal abuse and mental abuse legitimate reasoning to run away at age 13?

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

We would love to talk more about the details of your situation so that we can work towards a solution you find acceptable. If you would like to share more, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline at 1-800Runaway (786-2929) or use our live chat. We hope this information was helpful and take care
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X