No announcement yet.

running away at 18

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i take my electronics like laptop with all the accounts in my name and what else can i take since i am 18 years of age if i already have a permanent place to stay

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. When it comes to personal belongings, we’re not legal experts, so you might get some more concrete information by reaching out to your local police non-emergency number. You can ask them what you are entitled to take with you if you leave and they should be able to let you know. If you have any other questions or would like to talk about anything else, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

Hi,
    I turn 18 at the end of this month and am planning on leaving home that day. In the state I am in, I’d be the age of majority so that’s fine. However, how do I find living situations in a state that is super foreign and far away from home state and how would I be able to find a job? There’s no question that I’m leaving because with the money I have I bought a bus ticket to the state I’m planning to leave to. I am going with a friend who’s also 18. We both live in very toxic and abusive households. My family takes most of my income from me so I don’t know how I will be able to survive when we get there. Any support or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, thanks for reaching out to us. We are sorry to hear that you and your friend are going through a rough time at home. You don't deserve to be abused or live in a toxic environment: no wonder you want to leave. Of course, if want to file an abuse report with your state's child abuse reporting hotline, you can do that. Or you can call Child Help (www.childhelp.org) and report through them at 1-800-422-4453. Of course, it's up to you if you decide to report or not. We never tell anyone what to do. But it is an option.

As for moving out of state: it probably is a good idea to address your concerns about housing and earning a living before you leave home (or your home state, at least). Just a thought, but would you have to leave home and then go so far away? Perhaps moving out of your home to a place nearby might be a more comfortable and realistic step. But that's just a idea without knowing that much about your situation. How to find a job or place to live depends a lot on what you want to do, what you are qualified to do, how much money you have saved, and so on. You can always look at jobs or apartments through websites like www.indeed.com or www.craigslist.com (though it's wise to exercise caution with any craigslist ad that looks "fishy"). You might consider contacting www.jobcorps.gov as well. The answer to your question can go in so many different directions that it probably would be best to give us a call to see how we can help you with something that may be a bit more concrete. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY or you can chat with us via the portal at www.1800runaway.org. We have a large database of resources: things like shelters, transitional living programs, legal aid, and the like. You may also consider talking to a trusted adult that has some experience with getting jobs and finding places to live, perhaps a teacher, counselor, pastor, or other relative that you trust. The more you give this thought before you leave home, the better.

We hope this helps. Again, call or chat with us anytime. We are confidential and here 24/7.

All the best,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X