No announcement yet.

I'm 17 and I want to leave

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 17 and I want to leave

    Hello, I'm currently on track to graduate early this year which means ill be finished with school mid December but sadly i don't turn 18 until July of 2014, so ill be out of school for six months doing nothing but working and continuing to live with my mom. its not bad here, i have caring parents and all, but i BARELY talk to them, and i see no point in wasting my time sitting in my room alone, when i could potentially leave and finally gain my independence. I just wanted to know if working full time and graduating early gave me any legal advantages. I do plan on talking to my mom about moving out, however i highly doubt shed even consider it. if worse comes to worse ill most likely consider emancipation. is there any major things i could do to prepare for this? will it cost a lot of money? will i need a lawyer or will the courts provide me with one for free? i was planning on moving into a small apartment with my friend but since im not 18 i would have to have someone sign for me right? does it have to be a parent/legal guardian? if you could answer any of these questions it would be a huuge help. thanks for your time

  • #2
    I'm 17 and want to leave

    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
    Lets us first be clear that we are not legal experts at NRS which means we can only provide you with some general legal information about your situation.
    In most states you at 17 means that your parents would still be considered your legal guardian until you turn 18. To your point about moving out before your 18th birthday legally is probably a question you might explore with your local police department or legal aid resource.
    Emancipation with most cases requires cooperation by your parents or guardians we cannot say exactly how long of a process it might be or what the fees might be. You also indicated you were thinking of renting your own apartment. In most states as a minor you are not allowed to enter into a contract without parental consent.

    We may be able to assist you with local resources to get more specific legal answers to your questions.
    You are welcome to call our 24hr toll free crisis line at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visit for NRS live chat service available 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST) to explore these options.

    Thank you again for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp