•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS, it seems like you have been through a lot and are not getting the kind of support you feel you need from your family. You don’t deserve to be treated like this by your family. Things can certainly be harder with your autism coming into play but that is no excuse for them to hit you or blow off your feelings as crazy. Your feelings are valid and they are your own, your family should be trying to understand and help you through your difficulties instead of causing more.
    You mentioned that you feel like you can’t call CPS as you feel like your problems aren’t serious enough. It is understandable to want to downplay the negative experiences you are going through, but you are your own person and your feelings of hurt are valid. Your dad shouldn’t hit you, and they shouldn’t push you to the point you feel suicidal. CPS is there to help children like yourself that are going through difficult times, let them decide if things are bad enough for them to want to step in. Its OK to ask for their help and you deserve just as much time and support from those who can help as anyone else. For more information about child abuse and what options you might have you can go to https://www.childhelp.org/ who specialize in child abuse.
    We also want you to know we are here to listen to you if you just feel like you need someone to talk to about this. We also encourage you to talk to someone you trust about the situation at home. Often times just having someone safe to talk to about the situation can help clear things up or give a new perspective to help you through this tough time.
    The good news is that you won’t have to stay in that house forever, you will probably be able to leave once you become an adult around 18 (depends on state). Again you deserve to have safety and support at home. Things can, and hopefully will, improve. If you want to talk to us, or need help filing an abuse report you can reach out to our online chat at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-786-2929.
    Good Luck,
    NRS.

Guest replied
    Hi, my name is A. I have autism, and sometimes I get panic attacks when I get overwhelmed, and I hit myself. My parents call me crazy or sometimes worry more about my cousins getting scared, or if my screaming gets loud somebody might call the police. They say they care but they act as if me being scared of people is the problem. I sometimes don't wanna be with my family because I don't like to be near them, I'm ok with other people but not my family. And when I screamed yesterday they said I was acting crazy and I kept telling them they were the problem. I can't call CPS because they take on more serious problems. My parents don't care about my issues, they gave me a therapist but it didn't work out. And I can't talk to anybody, or tell my mom no when she forces me to spend time with family. Cause she'll threaten me with my dad, and my dad isn't afraid to hit me. I'm afraid to be hurt, my parents are the reason I feel suicidal. And I just wanna leave that place because I'm overwhelmed and uncomfortable. I don't have anyone else to stay with, there's other family members but they won't take me in. I just can't stay with my family anymore, I have depression as well and I'm starting to feel more and more worse. I just need someone to help me, this isn't to spite my parents. I'm just tired of them not caring about my problems and calling me crazy when I hit myself when I cope with emotional stress. They don't help me, nobody helps me. I don't know if I should run away or not. But I can't stay in the house forever.
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 06-25-2020, 11:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS, it seem like home is a stressful and potentially unsafe place for you to be in. It’s understandable to feel like leaving and it’s good that you are planning out in advance. Your parents shouldn’t be hitting you and it sucks that police haven’t been supportive and done nothing to help get you into a safer situation.

In answer to your question yes a runaway report can follow you to a new state. Generally a new state that you go into will honor the laws of your home state. So they would likely still send you home if you made it to another state close by.

If you have more questions about runaway laws, child abuse reporting, or just need someone to talk with you can reach out to our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or use our online chat at 1800runaway.org.

Guest replied
    Hi,

I am almost 15 and im planning on running away from my family next year. Im choosing to do so because my family says how I’m always ungrateful and how I’m always lazy and do nothing when I cook for them and clean for them. They have physically hit me on multiple occasions and sometimes the police got involved but they did nothing. I have a plan on where I’m going and how I’m going to take care of myself. I just need to find some sort of money to do so. The one thing I want to know, is can a runaway report follow into another state? Because I know that the police in washington can return you if you are under 18. If it does lead into another state then would it be that states runaway laws that would be put in place?

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    I want to leave to my sisters house but I didn’t want to get in trouble or get anyone in trouble.
    what will happen if I do leave without permission? I’m 17. The reason I want to go is because my mom rented a room downstairs with me to a guy. I told her I didn’t want him down there with me. I don’t feel safe. Her boyfriend has already touched me in places I didn’t like and he stares at my private areas too. I haven’t told anyone because I know my mom needs the money. Lately she’s been really mean with me and I try to talk with but she just gets mad calls me things like bastard and stupid and when she looks at me in a bad way for no reason she expects me to deal with it and not ask why is she looking at me like that. I just wanna leave I don’t wanna be here I’m so tired of her treating me like that. What should I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It sounds like you care a lot about your daughter's well-being and your local police department's response must be really frustrating. We aren't legal experts here at NRS but generally, someone would need to have full legal custody to request child support. It may be beneficial to work with a local legal aid group to discuss steps you can take. You can find legal aid groups near you by going to https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My 16 year old daughter runs away in WA state. I filed a runaway report with police. After 2 weeks daughter moves in with her aunt. Police take her off runaway list. They will not bring her home because at 16 you can freely leave. The aunt is now requesting $250 a month for child support based on having physical custody. I want my daughter to come home. How can a 16 year old legally leave home then request child support?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS! We are not legal experts, but we can share some general information from what we know. If a legal minor leaves home without permission of their parent/guardian, then the parent/guardian has the right to file a runaway report. You do not necessarily have to wait any minimum amount time before filing the report; however, the way police take runaway reports can vary by state and department. The police department in your area will be able to give you more information about their protocol if you reach out to them by calling the non-emergency number.

Please give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org if you have any other concerns!

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    How much time must lapse befor you can call the 14 year old in as being a runaway

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I live in Washington State I am 14 years old and I want to run away. I won’t get into why but I want to leave a note telling them that I am running away and that I will be safe. I have many friends that voluntarily let me sleep at their house, it’s not a problem me being unsafe because I would always have a roof over my head and food to eat but I am scared if my mom or dad will try to find me and hurt me once they do and I don’t want the cops to be involved. I don’t want to run away for an extremely long time just enough for them to get an idea of how serious I am about what changes need to be made. I don’t know what to do.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-29-2019, 02:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: I wanna run away

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I wanna run away so bad idk what to do anymore

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi, thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re so sorry to hear what you and your friend are going through at home and at school. You mentioned thinking about hurting yourself. If these thoughts are still happening, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 anytime. Even if you’re not suicidal, this is a great resource and they will be able to listen to you without telling your parents.
    You also mentioned being sexually assaulted at school. This is never okay and you deserve to feel safe at home and at school. If you feel comfortable reporting this, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929), or RAINN, the Rape Abuse Incest National Network, at 1-800-856-4673. You can also talk to a teacher or school counselor, who are required to report child abuse/assault if they have the appropriate details.
    To answer your original question, running away is not illegal, meaning that you won’t get arrested or go to jail if you are found, but it is a status offense. This means that you aren’t allowed to run away because you are a minor. So if your parents file a runaway report and the police find you, they will be required to bring you home. Also, if you are staying at someone’s house, that person could get in trouble for harboring a runaway, so that’s something else to keep in mind. If you do decide to leave home, it’s good that you have a plan and money. Please stay safe. Best of luck with everything, and please call us if you need anything else. We’re here for you 24/7.

Guest replied
    Hi I’m a fourteen year old from Washington state. Me and my friend both live in homes where we feel pressured to be perfect in every way. Our parents constantly are pressuring us to do good in school. My family has had multiple family members go to jail and so much other drama is just a daily thing at this point. Consoling helps sometimes but due to them having to call our parents if we say anything about hurting ourselves or anything in that general area we can’t talk about what we are thinking. At school, we have been bullied, body shamed, and sexually assaulted. Even just yesterday we went to the community park and we’re almost jumped by a group of girls even though we didn’t know them and didn’t speak to them. We need a break for at least a couple days. We have a plan and money. We would leave notes for our parents saying we were okay but not where we were going. Is it illegal for us to run away from home?

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X