14 runaway in Washington state

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I am almost 15 and im planning on running away from my family next year. Im choosing to do so because my family says how I’m always ungrateful and how I’m always lazy and do nothing when I cook for them and clean for them. They have physically hit me on multiple occasions and sometimes the police got involved but they did nothing. I have a plan on where I’m going and how I’m going to take care of myself. I just need to find some sort of money to do so. The one thing I want to know, is can a runaway report follow into another state? Because I know that the police in washington can return you if you are under 18. If it does lead into another state then would it be that states runaway laws that would be put in place?

Thank you

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS, it seem like home is a stressful and potentially unsafe place for you to be in. It’s understandable to feel like leaving and it’s good that you are planning out in advance. Your parents shouldn’t be hitting you and it sucks that police haven’t been supportive and done nothing to help get you into a safer situation.

In answer to your question yes a runaway report can follow you to a new state. Generally a new state that you go into will honor the laws of your home state. So they would likely still send you home if you made it to another state close by.

If you have more questions about runaway laws, child abuse reporting, or just need someone to talk with you can reach out to our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or use our online chat at 1800runaway.org.

Hi, my name is A. I have autism, and sometimes I get panic attacks when I get overwhelmed, and I hit myself. My parents call me crazy or sometimes worry more about my cousins getting scared, or if my screaming gets loud somebody might call the police. They say they care but they act as if me being scared of people is the problem. I sometimes don't wanna be with my family because I don't like to be near them, I'm ok with other people but not my family. And when I screamed yesterday they said I was acting crazy and I kept telling them they were the problem. I can't call CPS because they take on more serious problems. My parents don't care about my issues, they gave me a therapist but it didn't work out. And I can't talk to anybody, or tell my mom no when she forces me to spend time with family. Cause she'll threaten me with my dad, and my dad isn't afraid to hit me. I'm afraid to be hurt, my parents are the reason I feel suicidal. And I just wanna leave that place because I'm overwhelmed and uncomfortable. I don't have anyone else to stay with, there's other family members but they won't take me in. I just can't stay with my family anymore, I have depression as well and I'm starting to feel more and more worse. I just need someone to help me, this isn't to spite my parents. I'm just tired of them not caring about my problems and calling me crazy when I hit myself when I cope with emotional stress. They don't help me, nobody helps me. I don't know if I should run away or not. But I can't stay in the house forever.
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 06-25-2020, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS, it seems like you have been through a lot and are not getting the kind of support you feel you need from your family. You don’t deserve to be treated like this by your family. Things can certainly be harder with your autism coming into play but that is no excuse for them to hit you or blow off your feelings as crazy. Your feelings are valid and they are your own, your family should be trying to understand and help you through your difficulties instead of causing more.
      You mentioned that you feel like you can’t call CPS as you feel like your problems aren’t serious enough. It is understandable to want to downplay the negative experiences you are going through, but you are your own person and your feelings of hurt are valid. Your dad shouldn’t hit you, and they shouldn’t push you to the point you feel suicidal. CPS is there to help children like yourself that are going through difficult times, let them decide if things are bad enough for them to want to step in. Its OK to ask for their help and you deserve just as much time and support from those who can help as anyone else. For more information about child abuse and what options you might have you can go to https://www.childhelp.org/ who specialize in child abuse.
      We also want you to know we are here to listen to you if you just feel like you need someone to talk to about this. We also encourage you to talk to someone you trust about the situation at home. Often times just having someone safe to talk to about the situation can help clear things up or give a new perspective to help you through this tough time.
      The good news is that you won’t have to stay in that house forever, you will probably be able to leave once you become an adult around 18 (depends on state). Again you deserve to have safety and support at home. Things can, and hopefully will, improve. If you want to talk to us, or need help filing an abuse report you can reach out to our online chat at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-786-2929.
      Good Luck,
      NRS.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X