Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey if i dont wanna go back home will the police allow me to go to my das house

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS to ask for some help and more information. Generally speaking, your legal guardians get to decide where you live until you turn 18. If you do choose to leave without permission, your guardians can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your legal guardians know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home.

If your dad does not have custody of you then it might not be very likely the police would allow you to go there without permission from the person who does have legal custody of you. A good first step might be to reach out to your dad and talk to him about wanting to live with him instead. Sometimes having an adult advocate on your side can make communicating your needs more effective.

We truly want to be a support for you during this challenging situation. You can reach out by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at 1800runaway.org to talk more in-depth about your situation so that we can better support you and brainstorm your options.

Stay safe,
      NRS

• I hate living at home and would rather live anywhere else.

My mum keeps saying that she wants to kill herself and that it's mine and my siblings fault, my mum threatened to hurt me with a baseball bat and I've been around violence and pain for as long as I can remember and if leaving my family gets me away from it I will do it, but I have no idea how and I need help NOW.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

We are so sorry to hear your mom is saying those horrible things to you. You absolutely do not deserve to be treated that way. If you feel comfortable, you can give her the number for the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255. You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern, which sounds like it is. If you want to look into the logistics of abuse reporting, you can contact Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 or through their chat at their website, childhelp.org. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

• Me and my mom fight and I don’t wanna live in the same place as her can I go to a homeless shelter

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning. If you are under 18 the easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

• I'm 18 and I don't want to live with my parents anymore my mom told me that she was going not be my mother if I did something again and my dad keeps telling me to act like I'm 18 when we don't even act like he's 50

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time with your parents. One option to consider is talking with a school counselor or with a therapist about what has been going on at home. Sometimes talking to a professional can help you feel better.
      We are not legal experts but do have some information on the laws. In most states the legal age to leave home without consent is 18 years old. So in your case if you left home without permission you most likely would not need to return home. To find out the best answer you can always call your local police station and ask them what the legal age to leave home is in your state.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
      NRS

• I don’t want to live with my mother anymore
    she has always made me feel neglected my whole life there are 7 kids in total and she treats me like ******** I can’t ever go anywhere she is always making me do all the work at home her and my father are the reasons I became very depressed and suicidal over the years .my father left when I was just 3 years old my grandparents were always around to help out with us but things aren’t the same anymore I was 6 years old the first time I tried to run away from my crazy life my mother has a boyfriend and he is a drug addict he brought meth,weed,and possibly even a few needles in the house hold . We always had DCF involved for years my mother would always tell everybody to lie but I was so fed up with the way she treated me that I would tell the truth to the DCF and the other children would lie so it would make me look like I’m the liar when I was telling the truth my parents are divorced and that has always made it very hard for me cause I’ve always wanted a father figure in my life when I was 13 I started being Rebellious I went to friends houses more often hung around the wrong crowds , those friends were the people that introduced me to weed and I always knew one day I was going to try it as my teen life proceeded and all the suicidal thoughts I had I started to smoke weed it actually helps me a lot .my mom is very against this and when she found out about it she punched me in the face everything was kinda a down fall from there I got into gang related stuff almost got beat to death by 15 girls I started sneaking out and doing what I wanted . But now I am 14 and my birthday is in a couple of weeks I got involved with a thug and I really love him but he is mixed and my mom is very racist she came yelling at me when she found out I was with somebody a different culture that me and he is in a gang and she knows that and everything is falling apart we got into a fight the other day and I was just so done with everything I started to cut again and my mind was spiraling out of control I just wanted to get away from my home and be independent have my own house and job and car and my own responsibilities so when her ex came to the house the other night I was done I left the house at 12 at night with my friend I bought some weed and we went to my friends house I got out of my head and just relaxed didn’t try to think of the consequences we woke up the next morning got ready and went to school , the cops pulled me out of class and told me I was a runaway and things were getting out of control my mom won’t leave me alone she threatens to send me away to California to live with my dad but I haven’t seen him in years and he said he didn’t want me . Nobody wants me around anymore I just want to be on my own and make my own decisions I’m tired of being treated the way they treat me everyday I just want my freedom from my depressing life.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are pretty overwhelmed by things at home right now. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Maybe talking it over with a family member, teacher, guidance counselor or therapist can help. Sometimes having a support system who you can discuss things with can be helpful. It sounds like due to your circumstances you may be considering leaving the household. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Be safe.

• I dont want to live here anymore. They always pick on me my dad and brother. My mom doesn't care anymore and ignores what they say about me or how they harsh me. I can't go out much because they always get mad when I do I need fresh air sometimes. I can't even get the stuff I need for myself without them asking me why you need that why you need to go there. I can't take it here anymore I cant even join the military abd i have no job not much money I hate it.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things at home are not going well, and that you feel picked on, ignored, and controlled. You were brave to share about what is going on. We are here to support you in the best way we can.

It seems like your main concern is that you cannot take things at home anymore. You are too overwhelmed with the mistreatment and with not having the freedom to do what you want. This is understandable. Some things to think about at this point include: What keeps you feeling joyful and strong? Who can you open up to about these issues at home? Or, also, if you are contemplating running, Where would you go if you left home? It can be really helpful at times like this to focus your energy on things you love to do. Finding those activities, hobbies, and passions that give you joy will allow you to find peace in the chaos of your current situation. Also, finding people in your life that will listen and support can be helpful. Friends, other family members, and a school counselor are good sources of love and wisdom in times like these. If you are contemplating running away, you might consider people you can stay with, and how you might safely get to them. We could also help you locate a shelter or other safe place near you. You mention hating not having a job or much money. Perhaps seeking permission to look for a job would be good at this time in your life.

We hope some of this proves useful to you. If you are feeling like this does not serve you, we encourage reaching out to us by phone (1-800-RUN-AWAY) or online chat (1800runaway.org) so we can get to know you better and help you more specifically. We are always here to listen, here to help. Stay safe and strong out there.

Sincerely,
      NRS

• I don't really feel safe here recently me and my mom got into an arguement because she took my phone and my older brother let me borrow one of his. She was mad that I had the phne and took it. I was mad and started throwing things she came in the room tellin me she didn't want me here and to leave so I packed some things but before I left I found the phone and called my boyfriend to tell him aboutwhat happened and he told me to go over to his moms with him so my mom found out that I found the phone and started threatening me she took my xbox and threw it. I got even more mad and started yelling she runs in the room and hits me aboutfive times in my head. I leeft it was about3 in the morning. I'm tryin to find my way to his place and thankfully I got there safely. A day passes I decide to come back which was last night and I totally regret it as soon as I walk in she's already saying she didn't want me here. I can't stay any longer is there a way I can be sent to a foster home?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
      Wow it seems like a lot has gone on in the last few days. That can be emotionally and physically exhausting for all of you. We are glad you were able to make it to your boyfriend’s house safely, as your safety is the top concern. If you think this may be abuse you do have the right to make a report and there are a few ways you can do that. One option to consider is calling Child Help at:1800-422-4453, and they can help with making a report. Another option would be to call us and we can help you with making a report. If you are ever in immediate danger please call the police and they can assist you.
      We are not legal experts but we do have some information. Child protective services usually like to try and keep families together, so it may be difficult to be sent to foster care. But if your safety is in danger it is a possibility but you would have to get child protective services involved. Also if you were to be kicked out of your home as a minor that would be considered neglect, and you can report that.
      We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore options, please give us a call. We are here for you 24/7 to help and provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

• hello,

i have never seen this site before but i read some of what people wrote on this site. like " i don't wanna be here any more," " im depressed".
    the truth is i feel the same way right now. i don't wanna be with my family either i wanna run away but...... i''m to scared to.
    my parents don't know that i'm depressed, even tho when i was little little i would scream " I HATE MY LIFE I JUST WANNA DIE."
    and then sob for hours when the locked me in me room. sometimes my dad would beat me with a paddle....
    it was so pain for to the point where i couldn't sand up for a week. i cried a lot and still do sometimes when i'm alone.
    my siblings would lock me in my room for hours and hours because the lock was on the outside part of the door.
    i really like to sing but everytime i tryed the would yell at ma and tel me to just shut up you sing horibbly....

thanks for reading my story\ problems....
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 03-28-2020, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,
      Thank you for reaching out with your story. You have been through so much already and it’s not ok to be locked in your room like that, and suppressed by your family. They should be there to help support you and help you through depressive thoughts, not ignore your problems and make them even worse. Physical punishment, especially to the point you are seriously hurt for a week straight, is never ok. It seems like your story shows abuse that is worth considering reporting to CPS or DCFS. If you have questions about that you could look into childhelp.org for info specific to child abuse.
      Depression is something that is tough enough to get through on a daily basis with a supportive family, as such its totally OK to ask for help. You may want to consider a counselor or therapist to talk with and work through these feelings as best you can. A school counselor is a good first step if you choose to do that. If that doesn’t seem like a valid option then maybe find a friend who you trust and can share what is happening. Getting to vent about things and have a shoulder to cry on is better than crying alone any day.
      Nobody should have to go through the kinds of things that you have, and hopefully this is the first step towards you getting the information and help that will get you on the right track to improving your situation. If you have more questions please contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or online at 1800runaway.org.

• I don't want to live with my mom anymore.

Recently my mom has found out that I've been sexually active with my boyfriend. She didn't know that I had a boyfriend and I would've told her, but I'm not allowed to date and also me and him did something late last year that made her not like him in general. My mom told my grandma and they both started calling me every name in the book and hit me. My mom is also controlling and emotionally abuses me everyday. I could make one mistake on school work and I'm getting called a retard, stupid or being told that I'm not going to be anything in life. I'm also never allowed to go out with friends and I can't even voice my option you can basically say that my mom is strict. Even before she found out that I'm sexually active I was never allowed out with friends or anything even if I had straight A's. I've been trying to move out of her house since I was in 6th grade and move in with my dad. My dad has asked her if I could move in with him too but she always has some excuse as to why I can't. I knows she doesn't like me because she said it herself and honestly I don't like her either my life living with her has been hell. I admit I shouldn't have been sexually active in the 1st place but at the same time it's my body and I shouldn't be getting called every name in the book every day. She is immature sometimes and she also calls me a "Demon or evil child" because I laugh every time she hit me or something. Sometimes when she goes out she leave me home alone to watch my younger brothers and sometimes I won't see her until the next day. I love my mom but I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT HERE ANYMORE! I have no freedom of speech, she is taking away my teenage years, and I can't take the emotional abuse anymore either. I can't even talk to her without judgement or without her telling me to shut up. She spends more time on her phone talking to her guy friends or friends in general then trying to figure out what's wrong with me and why i'm "acting out". I've also been depressed for 4 years now and she takes that as a joke. She starts trouble if she gets bored for example she could bring up something that happened years ago and starts a whole argument. I live in Georgia and I'm 15 years old. I've been thinking about running away or just packing up and leaving to my dad's house. Is there any way I could move in with my dad without her calling the police and bringing me back to live with her?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, and sharing a little bit of your story with us. We understand that you are going through a really difficult time right now, and we want you to know we are here for support and here to listen to you.
      You do not deserve to be called names for the choices that you make or to be emotionally abused, and we are sorry you are having to deal with all of that. If you would like you do have the right to file an abuse report. You can do that by calling Child Help at: 1800-422-4453. You can also file an abuse report by talking with a teacher or school counselor.
      Also as far as being sexually active, your mother may just be worried about your well-being and may have a poor way of showing that. We want you to be healthy and safe, that is the top priority. If you feel like you need protection or birth control you can call Plan Parenthood. In some cases, you may not need a guardian but it is different in each state. You can contact Plan Parenthood by calling 1800-230-7526. Also another good resource for you to learn more about safety is called sexect.org.
      You also mentioned packing your things and running away. We are not legal experts but we do have some information on what could happen. Because you are a minor if you were to leave without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. Also whoever you were to stay with could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway. If your father has partial custody, that may be different but you can call your local police department to find out.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

• I don’t like living in my home because I’ve been threatened, physically abused and constantly being told I have to be like my cousin. My parents took my phone of me because I burnt the corn. I put it on at 7:30pm and forgot about it because I had been tired from cleaning so when mom said let’s go Iola’s because I wanted to sleep three hours pass by and my dad goes down checks the kitchen see that I burnt the corn because I forgot about it and coles banging on my room door, I go down stairs turn the stove off and sort the pot out and throw away the corn. Nothing happened to the house just the corn. I’ve almost been stabbed by a fork and been belt serval times because whatever I do isn’t good enough and my parents say I don’t do anything in the house when I’m the one that irons all their clothes and vacuum so and does the dishes every night and on top of all of that I’m a full time university student studying the bachelor of information technology and Griffith University and I work at Kmart. I’m tired and I just want to move out but I need help moving out.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you. It sounds like staying at home has not been safe and it has been detrimental to your mental health. You do not deserve to be abused or talked down to.

We can connect you with resources that might be able to support you living independently. If would like to move directly into your own space and you need rental assistance, one option might be looking into affordable housing programs. A good start is to go to the Housing and Urban Development webiste, hud.gov, to find programs in your state. Another option to help you live independently is a transitional living program. A TLP provides young people with a stable place to live and other supportive services while you work toward living independently. If you call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at 1800runaway.org, we can do a search in our database for resources in your area.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and further explore your options, please call or chat soon.

Take care,
      NRS

• I wanna kms

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS, your safety is our number one priority, it seems like you are having some suicidal ideation possibly feeling depressed.
      If those thoughts are continuing please call 911 or 1-800-273-8255 for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
      We also encourage you to reach out to a therapist to have someone consistent to talk to about these feelings.
      You can also reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

• im wanna leave my home but im only 14
    iv'e been living with my parents but my mom never shows love i wanna leave but i have nowhere to go

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Be safe,
      NRS

• Hi
    i don't want to live at home anymore
    They always tell me that they will take me out of the school that I'm attending because it is in town and after that they will throw me out of the house am always yelled at and beaten I don't feel loved

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there thanks for reaching out to NRS,
      It seems like you have been going through a lot at home and feel like your parents aren’t treating you with love and respect you deserve. Every youth has a right to go to an education. It may be worth looking into the McKinney-Vento act if they don’t offer you at least home schooling.
      If your parents were to kick you out before 18 then that is a form of neglect and reportable as such. If you have questions about what may be child abuse or reportable as it, you can go to childhelp.org for more information.
      If you were to run away instead of being kicked out then your parents would need to file a runaway report otherwise that would also be a form of neglect. Although if they don’t then the police won’t know you are a runaway, otherwise police would probably bring you home. If you need a safe place to stay we have a national database of shelters and Temporary Living Places that we can look at and try to find one for you.
      Hopefully this information helps, you should never feel threatened at home and we hope things improve for you. If you need someone to talk to or have more questions please call our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY, or chat with us on our website.

• I need help don't no what to do or who to talk to my son is in Logan County jail he was attacked in his cell by someone from another pod he had two razors my son has30staples and several cuts to face and neck he's being miss treated in there medically and supposably there going to charge my son there mis conduct and more going on I fear for his safety can you help me my name is [Redacted for confidentiality].
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 04-16-2020, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out,
      It seems like your son has been through a lot and that sounds really scary. It has to be hard feeling like they are being mistreated and targeted like that. It may be worth talking to your son’s lawyer about possible options to take. If you can’t get in contact with them you can also look into legal aid in your area. You can do so by googling Legal Aid in [state]. If you can’t find some you can call our hotline or use our online chat and we can look as well.

• Hello my name is [...] and I really hate living with my parents. I cant do anything right now because If i try to leave they will of course try and find me. I just really hate living with them.I know that my parents dont love me but at the same time they dont abuse me or anything I just want a new life. My stress levels have really been getting high over the years. I just want a new family.
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 04-19-2020, 04:07 PM. Reason: Deleted youth's name for privacy

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

First, thanks for reaching out to us. We are sorry to hear you are having a difficult time at home. You share that you feel unloved and stressed out. That's a lot to go through. It makes sense that you would want to leave home and begin anew somewhere else. We respect that desire.

Of course, if you are under 18 you are under your parent's supervision. If you leave home without permission before then, your parents could file a runaway report on you. Running away isn’t a crime, but it is a status offense like breaking curfew. If found, the police would likely bring you back home. Perhaps more seriously, anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor in most localities. We don’t share this information to persuade you in any way, but only to give you some things to think about.

One alternative to running away would be to simply ask your parents if you could live elsewhere. If they grant you permission you may want to get it in writing. Of course, even if they give you permission to live somewhere else, they do have the right to ask you to come home at any time. If you do decide to ask them if you could leave you may want to give your request some thought beforehand and think of a good time to ask them. Maybe you could even try to persuade them that they might be better off if you lived somewhere else. These are just some ideas. You know your situation best.

Another option would be to try to seek emancipation before you turn 18. This is usually a lengthy process and involves getting a lawyer and going through the court system. Usually you have to prove that you are able to provide for your own physical, emotional, and educational needs and that you are mature enough to make this decision. In most states you still have to be at least 16 or 17 in order to file for emancipation. If you’d like more information on emancipation for your state you can contact us by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us online via the portal at www.1800runaway.org. We can then forward you a legal aid resource for your state that can answer whatever questions you have about emancipation.

We hope some of this information helps. Please give us a call even if you just want to vent a bit. We're here for you.

All the best,
      NRS
      Last edited by ccsmod15; 04-19-2020, 04:35 PM.
Working...
X