Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m 16 my parents are divorced and I want to live with my grandma I’ve been having abuse like hitting and getting in my face by my mother and want to move how would I do that

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being hit by your mom. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody to your grandma. Also just in general, the easiest way to live with your grandma outside of reporting is to get permission from your guardians. So if you haven't already, you might ask if you can stay with her.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS

• I’m in a similar situation it’s not as much my mum I don’t want to live with yeah it’s annoying cos she doesn’t really let me go out and meet guys cos I’m a vulnerable person and I get that she just cares about me and don’t want me in danger . It’s more my brother who one his days off work sits around all day nicking stuff and making a mess which I have to clean up. Fair enough I know I clean up in the house to to pay off my debt but it’s jist annoying when it’s not ur mess and when he messes it up basically straight away . My brother basically drove my ex boyfriend out and if I had somewhere else to go he would have driven me out by now

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your response to another user’s post. Often forums are a place of support and understanding for many youth. It often may be validating and helpful for users to read similar situations as well as exchange feedback to one another. For anyone experiencing any difficulties or challenges, the National Runaway Safeline encourages youth in the U.S. to reach out to our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat for immediate services.

It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
      We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Thank you,

NRS

• I am in a position that I would like to leave home. It has been this way for a while now--it began when I was very suicidal and she didn't understand why I wanted to die. I expressed how I wanted to leave based on her reactions to this and she wanted me to leave. Of course, she took this back, but I still have this is mind. I don't appreciate the way she treats me or my siblings anymore. It has been nearly two years of this and every single day is filled with anger, yelling and screaming.

Although she displays her affection and constantly tells me I'm her favorite child, she is awful at keeping up with this. I wouldn't call her "abusive", but she is bad at keeping up with a motherly attitude. Hitting, screaming, threatening to invade privacy and badmouthing her children to her friends. She decided it was a good idea to talk about how much I lock my doors to have phone sex with my boyfriend and wanted my phone back for that reason in front of EVERYONE, YOUNGER SIBLINGS AND GUESTS AND EVERYTHING, which isn't true. I'm an artist and was messaging a buyer when she came up with that assumption, as for the doors, I don't like being bothered and I get overstimulated quickly. I'm not sure why she can't understand that, but if she can't understand depression, she can't understand autism or anything else I have going on with me.

I would like to leave. When I am 18, I am certain I am going to live with someone else or in another state and maintain my own source of income and such, but I am currently 16, 17 in December. Is there anything I could do at this time? There's so much I don't want to be around. She's bipolar and has lots of medical problems she purposely ignores and expects me to provide for the family since she quits her job every time she gets on, which I don't want. I'm only a teen! I'd like to leave...what can I do?

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you are going through so much at home and feeling like you need to live elsewhere. We are so glad that you are still with us, and you so deserve to be treated with respect and basic human dignity. It takes a lot of strength to reach out for help, and we are so glad that you did. Your life has worth and our top priority is your safety. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings if you have them again. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time. You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk.

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

• I live with my aunt so does my mom step dad and my brother. If my mom leaves can she take us even though she doesn’t have a place to go. Can my brother and I choose to stay at my aunts knowing that we have a roof something to eat?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not legal experts but we do have some knowledge on the laws. If your mother does not have a safe environment for you to go that may be considered neglect. You can make a report by calling The Child Help line at: 1800-422-4453. You can also call the police and see what your options may be. Another option could be to talk with your mom and express how you would like to stay at your aunts, as you feel safe having a roof over your head and something to eat.
      We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to discuss your options more please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck in your situation.
      NRS

• Ok so my dad passed away when I was very very small and ever since it’s only been me and my mom and my mom and I have been having problems for as long as you can imagine. I have a brother who practically abuses me and my mother always takes his side even though she knows that he hits me all the time and it’s not a play hit he hits me with all his force even though I cry or beg him to stop hitting me and I do so
    much for my mom I keep the horrible things she’s done away from my stepdad and I even always take care of HER child and this one time she got mad because I was worried about her because she left me with HER kid and she was gone for a long long time and wasn’t answering her calls so I called her family members and told them what happened and she yelled at me because she said I was bugging and she told me to never do that again and it gets worse when I find out she was gone for a long time because she was having an affair with my stepdad and he never found out because I want to be a good daughter and i just can’t handle her anymore all she does is yell at me when I don’t have my room clean or do my chores and she yells at me for stuff I don’t even do and one time she even told me she was gonna kill me one day and strangle me or something I said dang that’s brutal and my stepdad replies with probably because you don’t listen and i honestly don’t wanna live with her anymore and if I say something she’s just gonna say I’m overreacting and another problem is I’m only 12 years old.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you going through a lot at home with your mom and brother. That's seems very hurtful that your mom threatens to kill or strangle you, and that she does not intervene when you are being hurt by your brother. You deserve to be treated with respect and to be heard.

Your feelings are valid, and it sounds like home is really hard for you. If you are interested in trying to work on things at home there might by family counseling options. Here at NRS, we do have a conference call service if you would like to have a mediated call with your mom about how you are feeling. Please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY for that service or for counseling resources.

It sounds like you are focused on leaving home. It can be really scary out their for unaccompanied minors your age so if you do leave home we encourage you to always be planning around your safety if you do leave. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org.

Be safe and stay strong,

NRS

• Hi, my parents don’t let me out anywhere they never did that’s why I always have to lie where I am going and every time I lie they find out and I just want to have fun in my life and not always stay in the house.

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
      We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

• hi there im a 14yr old boy who wants to move out as my familiy would like to move back to africa but i dont want to. so i wanted to live by myself and not be in contact with my family anymore

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. It might be a good idea to sit down with them and have a heart to heart and explain how much you don’t want to go back to Africa.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• I want to run away from home. My parents make me feel like I'm worthless and like I'm nothing to them and it's made me depressed and has made me self harm. They put a lot of stress on me because there always yelling at me. I also get bullied at school and every morning I wake up and I'm scared to go. If I runaway I wouldn't have to deal with any of this.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that your parents are treating you in such a hurtful and unnecessary manner. It sounds really tough that you’re getting bullied at school as well and we want you to know that we are here for you. People deserve to be treated with kindness and respect and you are no exception. Talking about what is going on can be very helpful to sorting through these difficulties and figuring out how to tackle them. It might be a good idea to talk to your counselor at school if you have one or to bring up the idea of talking to a therapist or counselor to your parents. If you want help finding mental health resources, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is a great tool. They are reachable at 1-800-950-6264 or at nami.org. Additionally, if you are battling with self harm, you may be interested in checking out To Write Love on Her Arms, an organization that may be able to connect you to others going through your struggle. You can reach them at https://twloha.com/. It is understandable that you are feeling so stressed out under these really difficult circumstances. If you want to talk more about what is going on or see what other options you may have, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• i live with my grandparents and my parents, in a townhouse, with three bedrooms and there are 8 of us living in the house. my room is a curtain in the living room with three beds that my sisters and i share. I cannot stand living in this house. its so cramped and not spacious. i have no privacy and im always angry when im in this house. my parents always fight, my dads an alcoholic and a smoker, my moms a smoker ad she always acts like she doesn't care about her own kids, she wastes money on herself and uses my dads money all of the time, i hate living here because my grandparents were supposed to provide support and they dont even do anything. i ran away with m y now ex boyfriend in march, and it was my idea because i really hate my family. my dads the only one i love, i just dont like living here, cause i feel worthless.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are dealing with a really difficult living situation. You are brave to have reached out for help.
      You deserve to feel comfortable, and taken care of, at home. With things the way they are right now, you are not feeling this. This must be taking a toll on you, and it makes sense it might make you doubt your own worth. It is important you know, however, that you are not worthless. You, and your wellbeing, matter a lot actually. You might consider looking into alternative living arrangements. Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we have a database of transitional living facilities for young people. These are longer-term, low-cost or free housing options. If this interests you, you can call us at any time to see if there might be one in your area. Our number is 1-800-786-2929. You might also consider trying to make your own alternative living arrangement. This would basically involve you finding a place to live in which you feel safe and getting consent from your parent to do so. It is not emancipation, but sort of looks like it. If you are having trouble getting consent to live elsewhere, you can also call us to talk about the option of emancipation. It is a long and involved process, but it may help you find your own, better path.
      We hope that some of this is helpful for you. If you are still feeling stuck, please reach out to us. We are always here to listen, here to help. You have done a great job so far, so keep your head up as you move forward. Best of luck to you.

• I don’t want to live with my mom or dad anymore my parents are divorced and my dad kicked me out , all my mom cares about is her boyfriend at the time , she doesn’t buy me stuff that I need an she always hits on me and tells me thing you shouldn’t tell your kid like “go kill yourself” and calling me every name in the book , she blames everything on me including her last divorce . She is the meanest person I have ever met in my life and my biggest bully . She judges me for the color of the people I hangout with an judges me for who I am . I don’t know what to do anymore but I want out so bad and I need help

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for telling us your story and reaching out. It can be difficult telling others what has happened to you. It can be difficult to manage situations like this and you don’t have to do it alone. We want you to know that no one deserves to be abused, and you should not have to go through that. If you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the abuse you’ve been experiencing. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for “harboring” if your parents file a report. Some police departments don’t accept runaway reports depending on how old you but the policies may vary by each department. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your mom about how you feel she is treating you and why you want to leave. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.

• Well my mom and dad are nice and all but my dad has a bad temper where he throw things around and due to his cruel cussing words I got depressed

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for posting! Sounds like things are rough with your dad at home right now. It can be really difficult to manage the stress when your parents have a temper, like you said.
      You mentioned dad has a bit of a temper. Is this something your mom may be able to help with if you talked to her? If you need help starting the conversation, we do offer conference calling with parents. We are 24/7 so call anytime at 1-800-786-2929.
      You may also consider finding another adult you trust to talk with such as a neighbor, friend's parent, aunt or uncle, grandparent or older cousin or sibling.
      There is also professional help with counselors. We have a database of resources all over the country so we can help you find a counselor near you if you call us at 1-800-786-2929. You can also look up counselors in your area at samhsa.gov.

There are also many crisis lines where trained volunteer counselors can help you! Try texting 741-741 for help.

We are here 24/7 and can help best if you contact us directly so feel free to call us or chat live through the link at the top of the website page.

Thanks for showing the strength to reach out today! We are here to support you!

• I dont wanna live with my parents anymore I just want out I wanna go live with my grandpa and they won't let me

Comment

• hank you for contacting us about your issue, were really sorry that things got this bad that you want to leave home. Sadly if you want live with your grandpa, and you leave without your family consent they can file a runaway report. Which means if the cops come in contact with you, they will most likely send you back home to your parents. If you decide to runaway to your grandpa and you are found by the police your parents can press charges on your grandpa. Which misdemeanor for harboring a runaway that can be charged with a fine, we are not legal experts so please call a local non-emergency. If there is abuse or trauma, please call the Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 so they can help you with different resources available. If you would like we offer conference calls, which allows you to talk to both of your parents. If you have any other question concerning running away please give us a call us at 1800runaway or email us at www.1800RUNAWAY.org
      Last edited by ccsmod10; 07-12-2019, 06:23 PM.
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Hey , I’ve been really curious lately . I don’t want to live with any of my parents, they’re divorced and have been for most of my life and they have a horrible relationship. My mom is absolutely crazy and has ran out my little sister out of the house over my stepdad. My dad is very bipolar and is very rude to me and we don’t get along as well and even when my parents were together we wouldn’t even talk . They consistently get me into their court problems and I feel like I shouldn’t because I’m only 16 and don’t know much , so much has happened in the last couple of weeks my stepdad assisted my dad and it’s just a horrible mess and most of dads side hates me and I just feel like I need to get away like I can’t stay with neither of them and like I can’t even talk to them right.

Comment

• ccsmod11
          ccsmod11 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello, and thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes great courage to reach out. I’m sorry to hear that you are not feeling support from your mom or dad, and that they are trying to involve you in a situation that is none of your business.

Having a place to stay to ensure that you are safe and supported is very important. If you think the issues at home can be salvaged, a good resource may be our conference call service. This conference call service is a moderated conversation between you, a member of the NRS, and your parents. In this conversation you set the guidelines and goals in order to have a productive conversation that can improve your conditions at home.

If home has become too unbearable to the point it can’t be fixed, it is important to have a plan for where you would like to go. While we are not legal experts, running away is not considered illegal. However, since you are a minor, your guardians have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home unless you express to them that you live in a unsafe environment. If you left home and decided to stay with a friend, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway.

If you would like to discuss further the reasons as to why you want to runaway or you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are available 24/7 and can be toll-free reached at the number listed above. We are confidential, anonymous, and non-direct.

Best Wishes
          ~NRS

• Hi I’m having serious problems bein goin on for ages now I share a room eith my sister she kicks me out all the time attacks me throws things at me and she’s 17! When I have my friends round she kicked us out at 12.00pm I told my mum becuse she was out like most night and didn’t care ended the phone on me I’m soo feed up now and can’t deal with any of it anymore ! Pls help

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. After hearing your story we would love to help plan something out with you so that you might have next steps in this hard process. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          Be safe, NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X