Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Hey-
    Thanks for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time at home with your parents. It is not ok that they make you feel bad about yourself regularly, and it is understandable that you have considered leaving. We are happy you reached out and we will help you out in any way we can.

We are unsure what age you are, but it seems from your post that you are under the age of 18. If that is true, it is important to know that you must have permission from your parents to go live somewhere else. If you do not get permission but leave home anyways, then you will be considered a runaway. It is only a status offense which means that you will not get into any legal trouble for running away, but your parents can call the police and file a runaway report. If the police find out where you are, they can pick you up and bring you back home.

While you figure out what next steps you want to take it could help to reach out to talk to someone that you trust. This can be an adult like a school counselor or family member. It can also be a good friend. Talking to someone can provide you with different options to take and help support you during this difficult time.

You can also reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are a 24/7 confidential hotline and would love to talk to you about what is going on at home. We can provide you with support and resources if you need them.

We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hello, Im 17 I live in Las Vegas and my parents are making me so depressed last night i was in the hospital becasue i tried to kill myself, we've been fighting for months ever since i turned 17 and they've had the cops show up at my house multiple times in the last month, and today they called the cops to take me to school. I want to move out and live on my own and they don't want me there no more, I can get a place to live i have a job and i can support myself. I've looked at a lot of the emancipation laws and i need help going forward I want to presue this badly.

Comment

RE: Re: I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you are in a really tough situation. You said you were in the hospital last night because of a suicide attempt. It sounds like you are very depressed and your situation at home has gotten really bad. We are sorry to hear that you and your parents fight so much and that they call the cops on you. That sounds very difficult, and it is understandable that you are considering emancipation. If you are thinking about suicide or you might hurt yourself, the National Suicide Lifeline could be a great resource for you. Check out www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org or call them at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

You mentioned that your parents don’t want you at home any more. One option could be to see if you can get their permission to move out. It looks like in Nevada, a youth must be at least 16 and be living apart from their parents and supporting themselves in order to petition for emancipation. We are not legal experts, so if you are hoping to become emancipated your first step could be to contact a lawyer. Here is a legal aid resource in your area that might be able to help: CLARK CO PRO BONO PROJECT/NEVADA LEGAL SERVICES. Phone number: 702-386-1070. You can find out more at http://www.lacsn.org/pro-bono-project-for-clients. If you have any more questions or you need help to figure out your next steps, we are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. It was smart for you to reach out to us, and it takes a lot of strength to ask for help. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

My brother got mad at me because i told him to stop playing with the lighter because when ever i play with it my mom flips out and calls my dad and the so on . But back to my brother he got so mad that he punched me so i punched him back of coarse then he pored the pomegranate juice i was drinking all over me and it got in my eye so i chased him to my moms room and punched him then my mom ran to the living room then throw my PlayStation 4 on the ground and broke it then when i tried to stop her she walk into my room and destroyed my computer i'm 13 and i can't get a job or anything to buy a new one or repair it she said she bought she can take it away but no she did not my ant gave my that when she got the PlayStation 4 and the computer was a present from my uncle he makes computers but it cost a lot of money so he cant just give me one so these stuff there mine she can't just break them if anything i put more money in it than her when i get a present with money i just spend it on my PlayStation 3 like my head phones and games and controllers i just want to leaves its like this every day her pulling my PlayStation 3 i don't want to have nothing to do with her,

Comment

Hello there,

We’re really sorry there was such an explosive argument with your family. Sounds like mom got upset about how you and your brother were acting and took things to another extreme. It’s understandable that you’d be so upset with her for destroying your property.

It sounds like there’s a lot going on at home. It seems like you’re frustrated and are not sure what to do. We’d like to tell you that if you’re having trouble talking to mom, like maybe she’s not listening to you after such a big fight, we could help you talk to her. You would need to call us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) to initiate a conference call. We could act as a mediator in this conversation and see if there is any resolution to the problems you’re having at home. If this sounds like something you might be interested in, please give us a call. If not, and you just want to vent, that’s ok to call us about too. You could even try our Live Chat at www.1800runway.org, just look for the big red button!

We really hope this all settles down at home and things go back to normal. Best of luck with everything.

NRS

Comment

i cant stand my parents

I hate living with my parent's. My **** dad think everything i do is never good enough. I can't take it no more. I get in trouble for cussing and only me. Yesterday he slapped me hard asf. I call him a disgrace to a man. I just want to leave and I'm 15 years old. What do i do
              Last edited by ccsmod9; 03-19-2016, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Hello,
                Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are going through a tough time at home. We are sorry that it is currently a difficult time with your parents. You are saying that you are the only one to get in trouble for cursing and was slapped for it. You want to leave.
                We do want you to be in a safe environment. So that you are aware any hit or neglect is a sign of abuse. If you are ever concerned about your safety you do have the right to report abuse. It can be a scary thing to do but there are people that can support you through it. For more information about making an abuse report if you needed to you can call Child Help USA at (800) 422-4453. You can also speak to someone, like a school counselor, teacher or police officer, about it. We are definitely here for you as well.
                It sounds like your dad and you can get really angry with each other at times. If there are times that you both are not angry that may be a good time to talk about how you are feeling in a calm manner. Writing a letter can be a neutral way of expressing your feelings towards your dad so that you can possibly live with each other a little better. Have help from other people like your mother, a relative or a professional to mediate a conversation with your dad can possibly benefit you home situation.
                If you decide on running away we would like for you to be safe. We can help you seek shelter however you must know that shelters have goals in reuniting families so they will contact your parents and offer additional resources for your family. Getting permission from your parents to possibly live with a relative or friend temporarily can be another option for you.
                Again, we are sorry you are going through a difficult time with your parents. We are here to support you and make sure you are as safe as possible. If you need to talk more about things we can be reach 24 hours every day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or you can chat with us at 1800RUNAWAY.org. We hope things get better for you.
                Best wishes,
                NRS

Comment

No trust

My mom won't trust me to sleep over a friends house that's literally 5 houses down I just want to sleep over a couple times but she don't let me she got no trust in me she calls me names and says my friends are bad influences but there not I'm probably the one that's a bad influence to them I just don't want to be with her because of this and it's on a daily basis

Comment

re: No trust

Hello,

That must be really frustrating to know that your mom doesn't trust you to visit with friends. Especially if your mom also calls you names and says bad things about your friends. That can be pretty difficult to deal with. There's a few things to consider with you not wanting to be at home anymore. If you are minor, there is a chance that if you leave home that you could be taken back. Most likely if your parents file a runaway report for you. Also, depending on where you go, your friends/family/someone else's family could be charged with harboring a runaway. Those consequences can vary anywhere from fines to jail time. If you do decide to leave, you may want to consider how you would be supporting yourself on your own. What would that look like, and how you would be surviving. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help! We are here 24/7.

Best,
                    NRS

Comment

i understand

I can relate to you I so many ways it not even funny but killing your self won't make the problems better think of all the good things in life that you will miss out on if you do die ,trust and beleave that your not the only one who feels that way .i almost die several tines and ps THERE IS.NO SUCH THING AS A PAIN LESS DEATH.

Comment

RE: i understand

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and responding to our Bulletins. It sounds like you have gone through a lot and have felt pretty low at times.
                        It’s great that you feel like suicide is not an option for you or others. But we understand that having these feelings can be a lot to handle and sometimes it helps to talk about them. If you ever feel like you need to talk about these feelings you can reach out to the National Suicide Hotline at (800) 273 TALK (8255). This hotline has trained counselors that are ready to talk with you and help you through your thoughts and feelings at any time. They also have a chat option if you feel more comfortable with staying online, www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

It’s great that that you feel like you aren’t alone while coping with your stressful situations. If you would like to further discuss how to cope with these situations or need further assistance please don’t hesitate to call us 24/7 at 1800-RUNAWAY or live chat with us 4:30pm – 11:30pm daily.

Best of luck,

NRS

Comment

Help please, my parents found out I lied to them and now they are acting like they want to ruin my life. I'm 13 and tomorrow's my birthday but they aren't doing anything for it obviously and also they say that they never lied to me but they do all the time. They say that none of my friends want to hangout with me or be around me. They have turned of my data, grounded me till the end of 8th grade, taken away my small birthday gathering, won't let me go to the city alone, taken my phone data, stolen my laptop from my room, taken away my spring vacation to Australia and they are threatening to take away more even though there's nothing left. All I want to do is leave and live with parents who will understand me and listen to me and not laugh at me when I cry. Is there any way I have a say in being in my household?

Comment

RE:

Hi there.

Thank you for writing to the National Runaway Safeline (NRS), and for sharing what sounds like a difficult situation. We are here to listen and help you.

Based on what was written, it seems like you feel as if what you say is not valued and respected by your parents. You described how many privileges and things were taken away, and you are looking to make the situation better or to leave home. Although we are not legal experts, at age 13 you are still considered a minor and would need your parent’s consent to leave.

If it ever becomes a situation of physical neglect or verbal abuse, then NRS could help you in getting that reported to the appropriate agency. One other option is to learn if there is another relative who your family would let you stay with, at least temporarily, to listen and be understanding.

You are not in this alone: we are available 24x7 via chat or phone and 1800runaway.org has stories of how other youth are confronting similar situations. Also, when you write and talk to others about what is going on and how you feel, that can help. There are friends who want to be around you, and so many more new friends and trips to look forward to.

Stay strong.

Comment

I want to leave asap

Hello. I'm a teenager, 15. I'm turning 16 in two days but anyways recently I've been getting into trouble for various reasons like pot smoking and not doing chores, sneaking out and etc. My dad doesn't handle things very well and he emotionally and sometimes physically hurts me by yelling grabbing me throwing things at me breaking things like belongings and i just can't deal with it anymore. I know my father cares but he doesn't realized how it effects my well-being and state of mind. He has problems and i have problems. I dont want to live in the household any longer but i know my dad would fight to keep me living here and idk what to do. I want to legally move out and live with my friends family and finish high school and go to college. He doesn't support my ideas of my career and lifestyle i want. I live in N.Y. i don't know how guardianship works in N.Y. but i would like to know the best way of getting a transfer of guardianship to my friends parents. Thank you for your time

Comment

Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out! We know that sometimes it can be hard to ask for help, but it sounds like you would really like some guidance during this difficult time which is completely understandable. It definitely sounds like you have been going through a rough time. No one deserves to be physically abused or have their things broken or destroyed. Physical or emotional abuse is never okay.

With everything that you have described that has been going on home, it seems perfectly normal to want to leave the situation. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts so we would not be able to provide exact answers to some of your questions about transferring guardianship. If you wanted more legal information, you are able to reach out to your local police department and some general questions. If that is something that may make you nervous, you are able to reach out to us and we would be able to make that call for you.

You mentioned that your father is physically abusive towards you, in this situation, you are able to contact Child Protective Services in your state. Unfortunately, when someone makes an abuse report there is no way to know what would happen because it is very case specific. Another option that you could consider is maybe reaching out to someone at school like a teacher, counselor, or social worker. They might be able to give you better answers and provide you with more appropriate resources. It might also be helpful to talk to someone in person who will have your best interest in mind. A resource you may want to keep in mind is Childhelp USA, they have child abuse counselors available 24/7 and would be able to talk through the situation with you and file a report if that is something that you would want to do. Their number is 1-800-422-4453 and are available 24/7.

Again, we’re really glad that you have reached out to us. It take a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out you options which is really good to see. It definitely sounds like you are in a rough situation and we are sorry to hear that. Again, no one deserves to be abused in any way. If you would like to talk further about your situation please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We’re here to listen we are here to help.

Stay strong,

NRS

Comment

Working...
                                X