Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone is treating me as if they don’t want me there and I’m only 14 and I really want move out one to be closer to my fr and to get away from my mom and family cuz they never treat me with respect and are so rude to me as if I was a mistake they are making me feel like I shouldn’t even live with her and it’s so stressful cuz I can’t jus pack my bags and leave cuz I will get in trouble with them the cops and whatnot and I really don’t know what to do at this point

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension - it stressful to be around people that aren't respectful. Everyone deserves to live somewhere where they feel safe and secure. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

• I dont want to stay at my house anymore. I just moved to a new state and i have no friends to hang out with. All i do all day is nothing my dad wants me tp get a job to pay for my phone and my dog because the house im living in charges for a dog each month.
    My dad always tellls me everyday to get a job he even threteans to kick me out. I feel like im wasting my time and i could be living somewhere else betrering myself doing what i want to do in life.(im only 15 btw).

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for sharing a little bit about what's going on. It sounds like your dad is putting a lot of pressure on you to get a job and pay for phone and your dog. It's got to be hard to live in a new state away from your friends. If you’d like to talk more about whats going on, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

• I'm tired of living at home. I live with my mom, dad and sister. I hate it here. It's literally like living in hell, but on Earth. Everyday it is the same routine. Get up, clean, eat, get yelled at for something stupid or that I didn't do and go to sleep, the process repeats itself agina and again. Whenever my mom and I have a disagreement my sister (19 years old) always has to butt in and put fuel to the fire. I (18 years old) tell her something like, "shut up and mind her own business," or "I'm not even talking to you so butt out." Guess who gets in trouble...yea...me. My mom even told me that she thought I would be the child to give her the most trouble. I was bullied all through out school up till 10th grade. It will be a chilly day in hell before I let anyone ever belittle or disrespect me again, but yet I have to come home and deal with it all over again. Due to the situation at home I have developed anxiety and depression, it freaken sucks. My mom has and will never ever understand me. My sister doesn't know when to shut up and mind her own business and my dad is just oblivious to everything that is going on, he's a chill dad but a little to chill to the fact where he is clueless to what is going on. It's like say for instance one time I was talking to this guy online. I was talking to him because I honestly didn't have anyone else to talk to and I told him about my life. My mom found out and acted like she understood and everything. But when my dad got home she told him and he went off. Long story short my phone was taken and I was on punishment for a month. But when my sister started talking online to this guy we never met before, she got their blessing. I told my mom the other day that she keeps siding with my sister. Of course she yelled then sent me (an 18 year old) to my room and took my phone that I paid for with my money. I'm not sure what she thought was going to be accomplished by that but whatever. She always yells at me in public about something, literally every time we go out, I get yelled at. It's embarrassing because people stare and talk. My mom is the reason for that to this day I hate eating inside or going inside a store and I am afraid that if I have a relationship I will carry her abuse with me. I want to like somewhere else until I go to college in August because it is only getting worse, it's always tense. I feel that I belong in this family. I literally don't say anything too them anymore. I am in hell. Please help.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
      Take care,
      NRS

• Hey.. Ive been wanting to get away from my dad for years now ive just been unsure of how to do that i have a cat that means the world to me and i know if i run away her life would be bad.. I cant handle being with my dad anymore we constantly fight and argue its had so much of an awful impact on me its not ok. Im 15 and live in Minnesota.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

Sounds like you have been wanting to leave for awhile due to the arguing at home; which cannot be easy to deal with. If you haven't already you might try to address the yelling at home by talking to your dad about how you are feeling and what your needs are. It seems like he is pretty hard to talk to so you might try to include a trusted adult in on the conversation with him such as another parent, a grandparent, family friend, or counselor. Another option might be to write him a letter about everything you have been going through. Here at NRS, we do have a conference call service if you ever want to have a mediated conversation with him. Please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you are interested in that service.

If you do decide to leave please know that we are always here for you and we can look up safe places for you to go, so please keep our information: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org. You are never alone.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS

• I don't want to be in my house no more its really stressful i don't feel happy they judge me critizice me everything id rather just leave and never come back.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you ae going through a very difficult time right now and hopefully we can help. Dealing with stress is no easy task and if you feel like you have people at home judging and criticizing you it is easy to see why you feel unhappy. We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there if your parents file a report. Depending on your age they could be charged with what is called “harboring a minor.” You could consider calling your local non-emergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

If you feel like your stress is becoming to overwhelming You can contact the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) to connect you to mental health resources at 1-800-950-6264 or NAMI.org You may also want to talk to your school because they should have a counselor for you.

One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your family how you feel when they criticize and judge you. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.

Stay strong

-NRS.

• i’m 14 and i want to run away. my house really isn’t that bad and i know i sound ungrateful but i just don’t want to be here anymore. i always get yelled at and critizrd for my grades. i don’t have anywhere to go, my grandparents would just tell my parents and my friends wouldn’t help bc they don’t want to get in trouble. what do i do

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension and criticism about your grades. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your parents.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

• My family is calling me gay and I really don't like that and she put everything out on me what should I do without my mom knowing out and my mom has a order saying " have to stay with her what should I do?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 06-07-2019, 03:59 AM.

Comment

• Reply:My family is calling me gay

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      You don't deserve to be called names by anyone. You are not at fault for what others choose to do.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I cant stand living with my parents anymore . I’m a 15 year old girl and my whole life I’ve bern growing up watching my dad abuses my mom and my mom do the same to my dad . They have been off an on for 16 years now and they took a long break apart but we recently just all moved in together again . At first all was good but now my dad treats me like ******** and so does my mom . My parents scream at me 24/7 over nothing and I’m always getting blamed for everything even if my siblings do it . I’ve talked to both of them mutilple times over the last 2-3 years and they still haven’t changed . I fight with my parents everyday and she calls me names and so does he . My parents are so rude to me yet so nice to my other siblings . I just wanna run away and never come back

Comment

• ccsmod1
          ccsmod1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. You shouldn't be called names and yelled at by your parents. The way that they treat each other sounds scary and makes sense that you wouldn't want to stay in that kind of home. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community-based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis-related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Be safe,
          NRS

• Help my parents constantly force me to do stuff and I can’t do it anymore I have no control overtly life and I’m constantly sad and I can’t live with my family anymore. They all pressure me into adult things and I’m 17 I just want to have a normal life and they just want me to drive my dumb siblings around.

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,
          Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have been under a lot of pressure and have a lot of responsibility. That’s really hard to deal with especially when you don’t have any control over your own life and circumstances. It’s understandable that you want a normal life and that you feel sad about this situation. We are here for you. We really are, but we would need to communicate with you to help you figure out your options.
          You deserve all the help we can give either through our phone hotline at 1-800-runaway (1-800-786-2929) or out live chat service through the website at 1800runaway.org
          We really hope to hear from you. It’s possible that we can find a shelter in your area, and it’s possible that we can help you figure out a way to help things be better for you at home.

• I want to know how I can move away from my parents and not have to have their permission. I'm 14 (turning 15 next month) and I can't stand to stay living with my family anymore. It's mainly my dad, well my stepdad. He has some anger issue problems. I understand its hard for him, but it's hard for me too. I'm tired of having to go hide in my room all day just becuase he had a bad day at work. I'm tired of do my chores perfectly and cleaning my room spotless and being called a lazy. I love him, don't get me wrong. But I can't stand it anymore. He always gets mad at the smallest things and then blames it on us. We went on vacation. Camping at a lake. The entire time yesterday (the day we got here) ge was mad. Then he would calm down. Then someone screamed or ran down the hill or step in front of him or something and he would get mad. My sister got upset bc I need her to help me brush my hair (my elbow us fractured so I can't) and she started crying. My stepdad said let's pack up and just started yelling st us and saying his he csnt get no vacation and saying it is all my sister's fault we cant have a good vacation when he is the one who made it hell for us. He is the one who kept getting mad everytime we had a little fun. He is the one who said to leave and yet her it is her fault? No it was his. And I'm tired of it. I cant stand him anymore home is supposed to be a safe place, and that is the place I'm the most terrified. And angry, god he makes me so angry. Do you know how it feels when you see your mother crying? Its horrible and infuriating and makes you feel helpless, cuz what can you do against a grown man with military training? I'm not saying that anything needs to be done to him (maybe therapy that's all) in just saying I need a way to be able to live somewhere else away from him and maybe I can get my life in order. I need to be able to have a way to get away but if it is something where I have to have there permission or a signature or something it wont work, they will definitely say no. But I NEED to get away. So if you can help u would very much appreciate!
        Last edited by ccsmod10; 06-17-2019, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there -

We’re glad you decided to reach out to us. The situation with your step-dad sounds very frustrating, and it seems like your recent vacation was especially tough. Nobody should feel unsafe in their own home, and it makes sense that you would want to get away.

As you have seen on other post here, we aren’t legal experts by any means, but typically you cannot live on your own without permission from your legal guardian until you reach the age of majority. In most states it is when a youth reaches the age of 18 years old, so anything before that you are considered a minor. If you were to leave without permission, it is possible that your parents would file a runaway report to alert the local law enforcements that you have left home without permission. If they were to do so, you would likely be returned home since it is not really a crime to run away from home, just a status offence.

Only you know yourself when it’s time to leave home due to it being an unsafe situation and it sounds like you might some specific questions that you want to ask us or maybe find a place to vent about what you are feeling right now. It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. Please rest assured that we are completing confidential. So anything that you share with us will stay between us. We don’t ask for any identifying information, unless you want to report any abuse. We certainly want to help you.

Again, we really appreciate you reaching out to us- that is what we’re here for. If you need to talk further, we are available 24/7 via our online chat line or by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

• I want out the other day i told my parents I would leave and they threatened to call the cops but many times in the past my mom has yelled at me to leave im 16, 17 in a few months my friends have told me to wait that i only have a yr left but thats a yr I can’t take any more im to the point where i have sat in my room all day with out food or water so I don’t have to deal with them i need an out and i need it fast. I have seriously thought about running away i have roughly 200$ in cash in my wallet rn i live in California is that a possible answer

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a tricky situation trying to leave home at 16 in CA, with your parents threatening to call the police. That seems hurtful that your mom has told you to leave so much, but now will not give you permission to leave when you are wanting to leave as well.

It's not okay that you went all day without any food or water. If you are not getting your basic needs met at home, you are able to report the neglect to Child Protective Services (CPS). If abuse is the situation at home, you also have the right to report that. You might reach out to the confidential experts at Child Help if you are interested in learning more about reporting: 1-800-422-4453.

Generally speaking, your parents can report you as a runaway if you leave without permission before 18 in California. Once you are 17, it does depend on your local police with whether or not they would actively look for you and return you home. To learn more about what could happen if you do leave, you might reach out to your local police's non-emergency number and ask hypothetical questions.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you would like to discuss your situation in more detail: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best,

NRS

• Hi I don’t know what to do no more I try and try to be the perfect kid my mom wants me to be but I never seem to make her happy she’s always blaming me for something I didn’t do for example I help out in the house she says I did it all wrong and just should’ve done noting bcs I make it worse but If i don’t do anything she gets mad we’re all arguing and had said things that is harmful she’s always telling harmful stuff I can’t make her happy I try to just stay away and not bother her but noting seems to work she gets mad for everything I told her before she needs mental health bcs I don’t feel welcome or comfortable at my home she tells me to leave and i do she’s says ur not leaving no where I just want to go my separate way bcs she’ll never be satisfied with me

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot to reach out in difficult times. You sound very strong and independent. Know that you deserve to feel safe and happy at home.

You mentioned how you and your mom have a difficult relationship. One option you have, if you feel safe doing so, is to talk to her about your feelings. At the National Runaway Safeline, we have conference calls where we moderate a discussion between a youth and their legal guardian. These are often good places to have those difficult discussions because we go over ground rules (such as no yelling, cursing, disrespect, etc) and try to prompt a constructive conversation.

You also mentioned wanting to go your separate ways. It sounds like you are contemplating running away. Running away is a big decision and can often have consequences, including having the people you are staying with charged with harboring a runaway, and you being sent home. If this is something you are more seriously considering, know you are always welcome to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (we are toll-free and confidential) and we can explore your options knowing more about your situation.

Good luck and stay safe,
          NRS.

• I am 14 and mentally I do not think it is safe to stay with my mom even though she tells me I have no choice. My dad is not in my life and my moment hates me. We constantly fight. She verbally abused me Me Constantly because if The Hurtful things she says to me. I want to stay with my grandma but my mom Won't allow me to. I've been taken from my mom several times when i was younger. My mom is the reason I use to cut and i feel like if i go back with my mom , i will start again. My mom has also been to prison. Is there any way that I Don't have to go with my mom without her consent.

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          We are glad you reached out and are looking for help. It takes a lot of courage to start the process figuring out options. It is very stressful being in a family situation where there is constant fighting and what sounds like a lot of instability. We can understand why you made the choice to cut in the past and it sounds like you really don’t want to go back to that. There are some resources you can contact such as Write Love on Your Arms.
          We are not legal experts and we cannot give legal advice but in general since you are a minor your mom can file a runaway report and force you to be returned since she is your legal guardian. There may be other options for you in your area and we might be able to work out some support or plan for you if you call. We are available 24/7 at (800) 786 2929 or you can chat with us on the NRS website at 1800RUNAWAY.ORG. We are confidential and non-directive. We want to figure out a plan that would work best for you. Thank you for reaching out.

• I'm a closeted trans kid (ftm) and I tried dropping hints starting with my name but both my sister and my mum yell at me "you were born with it" "you were Christianed with *deadname*" "what's wrong with *desdname*"

then I moved onto talking about my chest saying I don't like it and It makes me feel uncomfortable "you were born with them" "there's nothing you can do" "you can't give me a reason why you don't like them so you're just looking for attention"

my mum takes my phone and tablet off me because she said it's because of too much influence from social media

I don't want to live here anymore. I don't feel safe or loved or accepted.

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. That's not okay that you don't feel loved in your own home, you deserve to be cherished for who you really are.

The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X