Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completelylost
    I dont know what to do like at all. My dad is completely awful to me and my mom. He verbally insults and interrogates her. It makes me and my brother so uncomfortable. He takes his anger out on my when he can. And I'll fight back because I dont want it to turn out like him and my mom. I want to leave to get away.but I'm still young and have a long way to go before 18 and thinking of all the things that I could leave behind hurts me. I dont know what to do I just need a little help.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you so much for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. I’m so sorry to hear about everything that you have gone through. It sounds like you have done everything you can to protect your family and they’re really lucky to have you.
      Nobody should have to live in an abusive environment. Your current environment with your dad sounds like it has been harmful for you, your brother and mom and no one deserves to have that happen to them. There are specific resources to support you and your sibling. We’d encourage you or your sibling to contact the National Child Abuse Hotline. They can be reached over the phone at 1-800-422-4453 or over the web at childhelp.org. They might be able to talk to you about abuse reporting if that’s something you are interested in or at least discuss options that might be helpful.
      In a situation like this, it can be helpful to talk about this with other people outside of your family. Talking through some of these issues with a trained counselor can be really beneficial – whether that’s through a hotline or a trusted adult at school. These counselors can also help you to report the abuse if you wish to take that route as well.
      With regard to leaving home, we are not legal experts but once you are 18, you can leave home without parental. It sounds like you are nervous that you might lose some things if you leave home, but it’s understandable that you want to do what’s right for you. If you do runaway and your family files a runaway report, there’s a chance that you’d be returned home. Additionally, if you go to stay with another adult, there is a chance that your parents could press charges against them for harboring a runaway. These are things you might want to consider as you decide what to do next.
      Finally, we’d encourage you to utilize our other National Runaway Safeline services. First, we have a telephone hotline that you can call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). We also have a chat service that is available through our website. We will be best able to assist you through one of these services.
      Thank you again for contacting us. Take care of yourself and please don’t hesitate to reach out if you need help.
      -NRS

• my parents like to bring up stuff i did in my past. They talk to me and just laugh in my face.Thell bother my and i hate it.Also my parents dont understand relationships they just say stop.I hate it here so much and have no idea what to do

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to National Runway Safeline. We are sorry to hear what you are going through. It must be very difficult to be laughed at and misunderstood by your parents. That must be frustrating. It seems like it is not an easy environment for you and your brother to be in. It may be beneficial to consider ways to speak to your parents about how you are feeling. Sometimes, getting another person involved can help with something like that. It may be beneficial to speak with an adult or family member who you feel comfortable sharing this with and maybe explore some ways you can communicate how much this is affecting you to your parents. We also have a conference call option here at NRS. It may be beneficial to consider giving us a call and engaging in a conference call with your parents to explore how all of this is affecting you and some ways to help things be potentially better for you all. We want to be a support to you. Please, feel free to give us a call at any time on our 24/7 hotline 1800-RUNWAY if you have any lingering questions or concerns. You can also chat with us live by visiting our website 1800runway.org. We wish you the very best of luck.

• I hi don't like my family , My mom told me she is happy if I live the house

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult situation. We are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of the laws. If you leave home without permission as a minor your parents still have the right to file a runaway report. If the police found you they would most likely bring you back home. We may need a little more information in order to help you the best we can.
      Please give us a call if you would like to talk more or explore more options. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. Best of luck!
      NRS

• I love my family but where poor and my family has to much ******** they can’t deal with, and I want to do me but don’t know how.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-15-2019, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• Reply: I love my family but..

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We would like to be of assistance to you if we can. It is times like these that would be nice to have a listening ear. It is also important that you remember to exercise self- care. You show some by reaching out to NRS. Good for you.
      We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and how we might assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I’m 16 and I don’t want to live with my parents anymore, we live in a mobile home with 9 people, 8 of them including me have to share 1 bathroom and share rooms , the 9th person is my mom who acts like a queen and literally makes us clean everything, if I make one little mistake she curses at me and yells at me. It’s gotten to the point to where I’ve wanted to kill myself several times. We clean 24/7 and I’m not even allowed to do my homework or study which is why I’m failing and probably won’t graduate

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

• I’m 14 years old, I don’t want to live with my mother... my dad died before I was born, every then I’m with my mom she is on drugs she verbally abuses me and I just want to die ... she doesn’t know how to do anything but care for herself ... when I was younger and lived with her I was raped 2 times but two different people ... and wasn’t allowed to say anything to anyone ... if I don’t live with her she will make me go to a girls home which I’d rather do than live with her ... these last 2-4 months I’ve been living with a family friend who I see as my aunt she has done everything for me... bought me cloths, shoes, took me to the doctor, etc. My mom won’t let me stay with her ... I don’t know what to do since I’m the state of Missouri you have to be 16 to be emancipated ... and I think 15 to choose where to live ... it’s gotten to the point where I think if I have to live with her ... I might fall even worse into my depression ... I want to die as it is is now ... maybe I’ll actually have a reason ...

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are so sorry to hear that you are dealing with a difficult home life and are depressed. You deserve to be surrounded by love and care, and any type of abuse is never ok. We are here to help explore options, and one would be to file an abuse report. If your mom is abusing drugs in the house, you have every right to file an abuse report. This might result in you having a temporary placement, but you mentioned that you would be open to that. One resource that can help with abuse reports is Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline)- you can reach them at 1-800-422-4453.
          As for emancipation- each state is going to have different laws and requirements. Often times you will have to prove that you have your own finances to support yourself and provide for your own housing. We would be happy to talk on the phone and explore that route more in depth. You can reach us 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929.
          It’s important to surround yourself by people who can nurture and care for you- we are happy to hear that you are currently living with a family friend who is providing you a safe place to stay. Another great resource for support is your school counselor- they can often provide help and support during these difficult times.
          Best of luck,
          NRS

• My mom makes me do unecessary things that I REALLY don’t like, and no I’m not talking about chores. Then she’s always saying how bad I am but I changed a lot in the good way (she even said so) but she still calls me unthankful and shameful. She even threatened me before, and I even cried but she never apologized. I really want to move out but I can’t right now. I don’t know what to do until I can.

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like things are really hard for you at home with mixed messages from your mom and being called unthankful and shameful and bad. You don’t deserve to be treated this way and we are glad you found us. It is understandable that you wouldn’t want to live with your parents under such difficult and hurtful circumstances.
          You sound like you’re going through a lot and we will answer the best way we can. We often ask people, “Who else knows what you’re going through”, because a friend can listen to you and help you cope until you can move out; and a trusted adult may be able to help you talk with your mom and find a way for her to listen to you. If you are old enough to work, saving money for the day you can move out is something you can do. And finding a way to help with your emotional life might look like a hobby you already do: like drawing, writing, playing music, sports, or activities at school. Expressing how you feel in a way that you can control is a way to keep your spirits up while you are still at home.
          It’s hard for us to respond about the unnecessary things your mom makes you do because we don’t know what you’re referring to, but having to do things you really don’t like sounds difficult to deal with. We hope that you might consider calling our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or using our live chat feature on our website 1800runaway.org. We can then talk more specifically about things that will work for you and help you.

• My parents don’t let me go outside to see friends only school and back and only with them most of the time.
        Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-21-2019, 01:38 AM.

Comment

• Reply: My parents don’t let me go outside

Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you might be frustrated with the current rules your parents have set forth.
          We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and explore some options, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
          NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Hi, I am 15 years old and I will be 16 in a little over 2 months. I do not wish to live under the authority of my biological parents anymore. Although there is no abuse or harm being done to me, living in their house has caused me to be very depressed and anxious. I am the oldest of my two siblings, and my parents hold me to a higher standard than them (they admit this). This may sound normal since I am oldest and should show them a good example but my parents take it to an extreme. Punishments for me are 20x greater. I am expected to make few, if any mistakes. When I simply try to speak to my parents on this issue, they call me an ungrateful child and punish me. My opinion can NEVER be heard or I am punished and am called ungrateful. When my siblings throw fits, or make mistakes a normal child would make my parents place the blame on me, and tell me I have shown them to do these things. They never blame it on their parenting, just me. I have anxiety since I am not living like many 15 year olds my age, and have few friends because of it. I can not freely go anywhere (even with their permission). I work, and pay for many of my things ( including my phone). Although I buy my phone they still take it whenever they have the urge to. Three times when I was punished my father took me to the local annex and threatened to take me in. At the time I was very young (between 11-13 years old) during each three occasions and I was scared. Since I was scared I begged him not to. Now that I am fifteen and older, I want them to take me in since it will hopefully lead me on a pathway away from my current home situation. Now that I want them to take me, they refuse to do it! They see that I want out, and refuse to give me what I want.

Comment

• ccsmod15
              ccsmod15 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out for help.
              We are sorry to hear that you are going through a hard time at home. It is not ok for any one to hurt you in any way even if it is not physical. You deserve to be treated with respect. You shouldn't have to live like this and this is not your fault. Talking to another family member, or friend or school counselor can be helpful in many situations. If it might be an option for you, you can also call SAMHSA at 1-877-726-4727 and they can help provide you counseling resources.
              Some people benefit from incorporating exercise, meditation, journaling, and reading in their schedule to help with stress. This can be a lot to think about. If you would like you could call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or live chat with us https://www.1800runaway.org/ and click chat and we can listen to you explore your options and provide any resources.

If you are thinking about leaving home it can be helpful to think about where you might stay and how you might pay for food and other living expenses and anything else you depend on your step-mother for right now. While we are not legal experts just speaking generally, running away is not a crime however if a police report is filed you could be brought back home and whoever you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway.

You are acting strong by reaching out for help. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.
              Best
              NRS

• i just dont want to live with my parents anymore. My mom drinks alot and gets very angry and agressive with me even when shll apologize shell just do it again the next day and recently ive been having sleeping problems and no matter what i cant change my outcome and when i sleep in school the message will just cone back to my parents and family and theyll all just get so angry and get mad and just take away my games even if i go to bed at 9:30 it doesnt change anything. My dad gets agressive sometimes too and hes just scary because of him excessively telling and sometimes getting physical although there hasnt been any recent physical events im just scared that there will be and it scares me. Juggling high school just gets harder as it goes i just want to leave here and just take a break i even have slight thoughts of suicide because of all this stress idk know where ro go or what ro fo anymore

Comment

• ccsmod10
              ccsmod10 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello, thank you so much for reaching us at National Runaway Safeline and for sharing some of your story. You are not alone, and we appreciate the chance to be here for you and discuss your situation. It took courage for you to type this out, and we are grateful.

It can be incredibly difficult and terrifying for anyone to deal with parents who are showing aggressive behavior. Please remember that another person’s problems with substance abuse is never your fault, no matter what they might say or accuse. Facing these issues, in conjunction with the sleeping problems you’ve been dealing with and struggles with school is certainly a considerable burden. It is totally understandable that you may be feeling helpless and out of solutions. Taking the initiative to contact us is a great step in moving forward.

One resource you might consider making use of, if you haven’t already, could be a counselor at your school, or even another trusted adult, such as a teacher you have a good relationship with. Especially when coping with slight thoughts of suicide, it can be of tremendous help to have a conversation with a kind, understanding, and mature person who you can put your trust in. It can certainly feel daunting to approach someone asking for help. Still, it is the job of a school counselor to be there for students.

Having your games being taken away can be very challenging to cope with if you have relied on them before to feel better and take care of yourself. Because you are currently living with your parents, it happens to be their rules that you are living under. If your parents are not willing to consider an honest conversation about letting you have agency over your sleep schedule and recreation with your games and how much they mean to you, the next best option may be to find other ways of taking care of yourself. Spending time on activities that you truly enjoy, either alone or with others, can be overlooked as important methods of self-care.

Please do keep in mind that we here at National Runaway Safeline are here for you 24/7, so you may call us at any time to further discuss your situation, or if you simply need someone to talk to. In addition, here are a few other resources you may consider making use of anytime you are in need:

Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline) 1-800-422-4453
              National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255

Once again, thank you for reaching out to us. We welcome you to contact us by phone at any time and look forward to hearing from you.

• hello, im almost 18 and there are no relatives around me as they're in different country, and im doing GCSEs and IAL exams this year. i know i shouldnt play video games and i should study to get accepted by universities. but my parents just made it gone so far, they dont give me a single rest, not even enough time of sleep, its been like 2 whole years and cant handle this anymore. the exams must be registered in January or/and June so ive done some of the exams last january. at that moment, my parents promised me to take a rest for a while if i pass on these january exams. so i had been studying for a couple of months to pass those exams (went really crazy just to play video games), so ive done them and i passed on all of them, right after that my parents tricked me up and they didnt even let me play at least 2 days (although i still have 5 months for the next exam), and the game i wanted to play has been shut-downed so i cant never play it again later, so ive been depressing since that time. and now there are 2 months left for the exams and my parents keep making me studying every single day without taking a rest also they abuse me every time i do anything else than studying (even leaning on the bed), i cant handle this anymore, i really wish i can live alone and do whatever i want. i mean that i can study but not 2 years consecutively! there is no way to live somewhere else. really need help. im thinking to commit suicide

Comment

• ccsmod2
              ccsmod2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for contacting NRS. It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation and we are glad you reached out to us.

It appears that you are a UK citizen. National Runaway Safeline is a U.S. organization, but we are happy to help you find resources in the UK that may be helpful to you.

One potential resource is the United Kingdom Suicide Hotlines - +44 (0) 8457 90 90 90. They may be able to help you.

You may also consider contacting www.samaritans.org. Their e-mail helpline is: [email protected]. They may also be able to help you find resources.

• i live in fresno ca and my mom hates me. she has told me she’d rather kill her self than be my mom, and has told me ******** you on multiple occasions. she calls me names all the time and never stops yelling at me. she forced me to admit that i am not a virgin and calls me a slut and says i sleep around. (she doesn’t know anything about that part of my life). my dad is trying to make it better but it’s making their relationship worse. he blames me for their problems. i would like to stay at a family members house, but my parents would never let me. and i feel uncomfortable at a friends cause i don’t want them to feel obligated to have me there. i no longer go to public school and basically get babysited because i’m not trusted to be home by myslef. i have wanted to run away before but never had a good enough plan for me to be safe. my depression and anxiety is getting worse and i don’t know how to cope with it. i am a 14 year old girl. i feel stuck and am sick of being mentally abused. i don’t know what to do. and i’m starting to feel suicidal again. i feel that i have no other options and i’m scared. please help.

Comment

• ccsmod6
              ccsmod6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that your mother treats you in such a disrespectful and inappropriate manner. It is understandable for you want to leave such poor treatment. Everyone deserves to feel safe and loved in their own home and you are not an exception.

You have a right to an education and your parents cannot take that away from you. This among, other details you mentioned, indicate that your parents might be acting in an abusive or neglectful way. It might be worth it for you to think about talking to the National Child Abuse Hotline about what is going on at home. They are a resource that can help you understand reporting and what possible outcomes there are. If you are interested in doing so, please call 1-800-422-4453 or check them out online at childhelp.org.

It shows a lot of maturity to understand that your safety is important in planning to run away. At the NRS, we also prioritize your safety. We would be happy to talk with you about how you could make a plan to leave that is safe. We could also look for youth shelters and resources in your area that may be able to help you out. One national group that helps those struggling with depression or anxiety among other issues is NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). They are an organization that can connect you with local resources nearby. They are reachable at 1-800-950-NAMI.

If you would like to talk to us more specifically about what’s going on and what other options you have, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or to our chat at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
              NRS

• My situation is a very complicated one, but it's been like this most of my life. Just recently it's been amplified by quite a bit. I recently left my home in the USA to play soccer in Turkey because my biological father lives there and had an opportunity to play for a great team there. (I was 15 when I left I am 16 now) So I left for that, but got injured for a few months and thought that maybe I should quit and focus on school because of the injury. So i resigned from the team and am moving back next week. My home life in America has never been great in fact coming back isn't bringing me joy whatsoever. My biological mom remarried to my step dad and to me it seems I'm always in his cross hairs. It's obvious they aren't thrilled about me coming back and they think I'm proud or arrogant or something because I was playing soccer in Europe. In my step dad's own words, "You think you're a hotshot now." I've never been honest with them and have lied a lot in the past so I don't completely blame them for not trusting me to really focus on school. The way they've been putting it I'll practically have no freedoms and in my mother's words,"it'll be like you're on house arrest or probation." They make me feel like I did something completely wrong when I'm just trying to make the best choice for my own life. They're so controlling of my life it feels like they play god with me. Anyway, they aren't being very accepting of me, and I stumbled on this website luckily. I just do not want to live under the same roof as them. Tension will be extremely high and I know I won't be happy there. I'm only 16 so I can't move out yet legally, but if there is a way I could live with a friend who is willing to take me in or just with anyone else it'd help me immensely. These people don't make me feel safe or like family at all and I just want to avoid them at all cost. I lived with them in a army like ruling system for 7 years and if i return to their home it'll only be worse for me, and I'll hate every second I'm there. Please help.

Comment

• ccsmod7
              ccsmod7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there,

We are very sorry to hear this is such a tough time for you. It’s understandable that you’d be apprehensive about returning home under such conditions. It sounds like you really are concerned about your future and just want to do what you feel is right for you. While it might not be easy, you can get through this time. We’re here to listen and here to help in whatever way we can.

To answer your question directly: it may be possible for you to live with a friend’s family if your parents agree to this arrangement. If they don’t agree and want you to live with them, that makes things more complicated. You mention that you don’t feel safe at home. If there’s been abuse or threats of abuse you have the option of filing a report with your state’s child protective services. That may start a process that may lead you to being separated from your parents and placed into a safer environment. Whether or not you decide to report abuse if it has taken place is totally up to you, of course.

Another option might be to attempt to become emancipated from your parents, but this often requires proving that you are able to live on your own, have your basic needs provided for, and things like that. It requires a lawyer and often takes some time and money. But if you give us a call or chat we can give you more information about that.

Of course, it’s possible that you might be able to return to living at home and things might slowly change for the better. It helps if you are able to express yourself and your goals to your family in an earnest way and then prove by your actions that you are headed in the direction you want to go. That may require some forethought and patience on your part, and hopefully you might win the respect of your mom and your stepdad. If you’d like to work with us to figure things out we are here for you 24/7. Perhaps we can brainstorm some ideas we haven’t considered yet? Or just work through the feelings you have during this transition in your living arrangement. We are totally confidential and are a safe place to talk about this sort of thing. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a Live Chat option that you can open on our main webpage at www.1800runaway.org.

We hope to hear from you. Please stay safe and good luck!

NRS
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X