Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reply:Hello, I am going to tell you what has been going on...

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We would like to be of assistance to you if we can. It sounds like at times that it would be nice to have someone just to talk to. It is good that you reached out. It’s important to exercise self- care. You nor your sister deserve to be put in the middle of your parent’s relationship. You also don’t deserve to have mom take things out on you. It is not your fault that the verbal and emotional abuse is happening. You did an excellent job reaching out to NRS.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and how we might assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Family Issues

I hate living here period. My mom is a drug addic and my dad is dead so i live with my grandparents. My step grandpa dosent even want me to step foot in the house he controls everything anyone dose and yells and swears. I get told things that no teenager should hear and it makes me feel like ******** i stay in my room all day because as soon as something dosent go his way he swears and stuff like a little 2 year old kid. And my grandma can’t do anything because if she tries to help me he makes a big deal about it and gets mad at her. Every single day me and my little brother get told to leave, go live somewhere else, or he dosent want us here because we don’t do what he wants. And i am only 14 and i wish i was older so i can just leave but i can’t and my life is a living hell i don’t know how many times i cried thought of suicide or self harmed becaus he makes me feel like ******** or i don’t belong or i just make everything worse. So i don’t really know what to do right now i am on the urge of just taking a bunch of pills and never waking up.

Comment

• Hey , I’m just have Few Questions ... okay so My moms “ Boyfriend & i got into a fist fight the other day & Other Times it’s Just heated arguments , my mother feels as though me & my sister are the reason she can’t keep a man & is tired of us but won’t let us move out & i was wondering could i live with my friend & Older sister , I’m 16 right now but willl be turning 17 soon without dealing with being listed as a runaway.

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
          What you have described does not sound like a safe situation. What you have mentioned about fist fighting sounds like it could be abuse. If you wish to report this you can call The Child Help Line at: 1800-422-4453. We know that sometimes making reports can be scary if you would like our help you can call us at any time and we would be more than happy to help you. You do not deserve to be treated that way.
          We are not legal experts but we do have general knowledge of the laws. If you were to leave home without your parent’s permission your parents do have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense. What that means is that if the police found you they would most likely bring you back home.
          We hope this information will be helpful in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to talk more in detail please give us a call at 1800RUNAWAY, we would be more than happy to help you. We wish you the best of luck!
          NRS

• I am 16 and will be 17 in May. I do not live with either of my parents. I am currently living with a legal guardian and a lot has happened recently that has caused a lot of pressure in the house. I got a speeding ticket and I did not tell my guardian about it because I did not realize that if you were under 21 in New Hampshire and you got a speeding ticket that you were required to go to a hearing no matter what you pled. There has also been an incident between me and another person in my biological family that may cause charges to be pressed against the other person. I do not have a choice in what happens with that. Leading up to the incident with the person in my family things in the house have gotten worse and worse. It is a mentally abusive household and on some occasions physically abusive when one of my guardians goes off the edge. They found out today about the speeding ticket and they told me that they do not think that they want me to live with them anymore. I do not know what to do and how to respond because as much as I do not want to live in this house I also do not want to have to leave all of my friends behind. My friends are all that I have and they know what I have been through. they have always been there for me and I do not want to lose them. However, the mental abuse in my house is so bad that most days I think about suicide. I could never imagine myself acting on the thoughts but recently things in the house have gotten so bad now that I do not know what I would do to get out of this situation. I am desperate for help and I could really use some advice.

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We would like to be of assistance to you.
          The behavior and environment you described at home does do not sound normal and you have every right to be frustrated. You do not deserve to get hit or yelled at by your parents, even if they are on edge. Their behavior is not your fault. If you would be interested in reporting their behavior, you can reach out to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.

It is times like these that can be tough to cope with. We understand you being upset and worried about leaving your friends. It is important that you remember to exercise self- care.
          We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and how we might assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
          You mentioned feeling suicidal at times and we want to provide you with information from The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, they can be reached at 1-800-273-8255.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
          NRS

• Hi, I'm 17 and I used to live in a different state more than a year ago. Since moving, I have been depressed and lonely. I've been self-harming to deal with everything. My family is currently having a financial problem and we have been moving into different living spaces. From a shelter, to living in someone else home, to a hotel now. Since being out of someone else's home, I realized the issues with me and my family have not resolved at all. Let me give you a background story for a minute. Back in december, I attempted suicide, I was hospitalized, got meds and counseling. My mom took away my razor and anything I could harm myself with.
        Fast forward, I went to doctor's office two days ago. Feburary 7th, 2019. My doctor had asked me if I was self-harming. I told him I did about 2 weeks ago. Even though, my mom took away my razors. When we were living in someone's home, I had asked the lady for a razor. She didn't know about my cutting problem. So anyway, my mom flipped out and started yelling at me in front of my doctor. I started crying, because I'm sensitive. She also told me "You ruined your opportunity to get a job, since you want to cut" and she threatened me once again that to put me in some kinda home. I can't believe she's punishing me for being depressed, I can't help it at all. She's going about this the wrong way and she doesn't understand what I'm going through. Also my mom is always making comments at me. Stupid things, comments that makes me feel bad. Alot of times when I ask a question, she ignores me and it makes me feel irrelevant.
        My little brother doesn't make anything better, he's disrespectful and rude to me everyday. He doesn't respect my space or the fact that I'm a young women. I secretly think he hates me..
        I love my family so much, but I don't want to live with my mom or brother anymore, I'm tired of the toxic energy.
        Please help.

Comment

• ccsmod0
          ccsmod0 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there thank you so much for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. From what you shared it seems like you are in difficult situation and we appreciate you sharing what has been going on, that must have taken a lot of bravery. We are here to listen and we truly care about you and are going to try to help you as best as we can. Right now we are going to talk about a few things and brainstorm some ideas and if you want to talk further about these options or explore other options by calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us at 1800runaway.org.
          It sounds like you have been going through a hard time with your family as you mentioned your different living spaces which must have been tough. As you shared you have self-harmed before, not doing so for two weeks is a great accomplishment and it sounds like you really care about your family and have been coping with how your mom has been treating which sounds frustrating. Pursuing counselling and going to the doctor is proactive and it must be hard for your mom to not recognize these efforts you have taken. Something that may help could be family meetings with your mom and brother if you want to explore that option. It could entail sitting down with your family and trying to talk about how you have been feeling with how you have been treated and the recent doctor’s appointment to have your family see it from your perspective. You also do not have to do this alone as you can also involve a third party, like a friend, relative, trusted adult, etc. to bring in a different perspective that could help your mom and brother see how they have been treating has been affecting you. We can also be that third party if you want to give us a call and we can conference call with your mom and help mediate this conversation if you are comfortable with that.
          Moving from different living situations sounds stressful. As you mentioned self-harming as something you have been coping with as well as depression, we can also explore other ways to cope that may be options for you. Journalling is a great option that could help with coping. It can help to write down what has been going on in day to day as it could be hard to gather thoughts since you shared needing to move due to financial situations with your family. Keeping a journal could help bring a sort of structure and keep track of how you are feeling and a timeline. There are also other options we can talk about if you want to reach out again and brainstorm about coping too.
          You have a lot of strength talking about this situation and sharing your story and we are glad you reached out. We are always here for you to talk further and explore the option of family meetings or brainstorm other ideas to see what could best fit with you. We know you mentioned attempting suicide previously, and if you do feel suicidal, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255/suicidepreventionlifeline.org) is also always there for you 24/7. You do not have to be suicidal to call but they have resources and a listening ear as well if you want to reach out to them. We are also always here so do not hesitate to call or chat us! We hope to hear from you soon!
          Best, NRS

• I'm 16, i always had disagreements with my dad and my mom would always say that she understand why i would have a disagreement with my dad but when my dad and her would talk to me she would act as if a problem to the family. i have ran away once before but i came back because i found out she called the police so i came back and my dad took away my belongings that i bought , made me quit my job, and my family says that i'm a disappointment for leaving. my father dose not help out around the house he says the fact that i should be glad that he is in my life but i honestly want nothing to do with him. i would like to know if there is anything i can do to take away my parents legal rights as my guardians, i would like to see if i can take the belongings that they took from me as well as information on how i get job without there consent.

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out for help.

We are sorry to hear that things are hard at home. Family counseling can be helpful in many situations.You could contact SAMHSA at 1-877-726-4727 and they can help provide counseling resources. We also offer a conference call service where we could do a 3 way call with you and your dad and help come to a common ground. Emancipation could be another option however that generally requires you to prove that you can live by yourself and support yourself. If you call us at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) and we would be happy to listen to you, explore your situation and provide any resources.

This seems like a hard situation and you are doing great by reaching out for help.
          We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

Best,
          NRS

• Ok so recently things have been pretty tough and strenuous at my dad's house. I recently missed a few homework assignment due to me being in theater, and it was tech week so rehearsals had been going from after school until I wanted to sleep. Since it is also the beginning of the quarter, those missed assignments have been my only grades, which makes my overall grades abysmal. My dad and stepmom have been furious at me, to the point that I'm not allowed in my own room, and have a list of chores to do every day. I'm only able to write this because I have another device that I told them I lost. Their methods, of punishment are making me miserable, along with their harsh words. They call me a disappointment among other crude phrase. By the war, I'm 13 and live in Massachusetts. My academic status has only been getting worse as a result of their terrible punishments. I'm also not allowed to do or have anything that they consider a privlege. I have told them that they are only worsening the situation, which they responded to by telling me how disrespectful I am. Since my parents are divorced, though, my mom lives separately and I get to stay with her every other week. I actually enjoy myself there, and am way less stressed. It would be great if I could move there permanently. I would rather not have a constant feeling of dread when I'm in my "home". Whenever I go there I have suicidal thoughts, and have almost run away multiple times. Is there a way to not live with my dad anymore?

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,
          That sounds like a tense place to live at the moment. We are glad that you reached out for help. This is a great first step to see your options. Your school seems stressful with everything going on. Adding chores on top of your busy schedule sounds counterproductive. We are happy to help you come up with some options to think about.
          You mentioned staying at your Mom’s house is better, you could try speaking with her about your troubles at your Dad’s house. Maybe she could help you talk with him. Sometimes it’s helpful to have mediator, or someone to help get your point across. If you don’t think your Mom can help, we also offer a conference calling service. We could help mediate between you and your Dad. We might be able to help you come to an agreement. You can call us at 1-800-RUN-AWAY (786-2929). We are available 24/7. If both your parents are ok with you moving to your Mom’s you can do that. If you Dad is resistant to letting you switch residences, an option would be to go to court and try to change the custody agreement. You also said you have suicidal thoughts while at your Dad’s house, you can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255 suicidepreventionlifeline.org) next time you are having those thoughts. We want to make sure you are staying safe. This is a tough time, and you are strong for reaching out for help and trying to make the best choice for yourself. If you decide to runaway we can help you find a shelter in your area. You can call or chat with us and we can help make a plan or find somewhere for you to go (www.1800runaway.com).
          Another issue you mentioned was with your grades. Since you are so busy with theater at the moment, you can try talking with your teachers to see if there is a way to make up those missing assignments. Maybe you can meet to work with them during lunch, or come up with another way to stay up with your grades during theater.

Thanks again for reaching out. We are here to listen, here to help. Good Luck

• Hello I am 16, and I really hate to live with my mom. Everyday we fight. She only cares about herself she is the most selfish lady out there she cares about her life above her kids, she'll fight with her boyfriend all day in front of all of us only because she wants to manipulate all of us somehow so that we don't question her or even have our own opinion( well I do now). Its even worse because she does it consciously knowing my little sisters and brothers have a lot of issues. Sure there was good times but thats only when she felt tired of being in the house everytime we were about to go somewhere she would yell and panic about the house being dirty i know she doesnt care about how the house looks, because as i got older i noticed she will go out of of the house if it's dirty sometimes but not others so why is that, because she doesn't care, just wants something to complain about. We are never on time to anything, it's embarrassing that I came from such a disappointment. I used to love my mom with all my heart telling her every night that i love her to the moon and back but now i notice she only uses love as a tool to manipulate its really hard knowing that my biological mother doesnt love me. When i was 14 my sisters friend and I started to do innapropriate things, well eventually we got caught and when my mom pulled the the blanket of me I was naked and tried to pull it back but she held it tight so she could see me naked, with knowing that i can tell that my mom doesnt think of me as her kid or else she would have thrown the blacket at me. She is a hoe when I told her she was going to hell she said I'm going to be surround by hot guys, in front of all my little sibling from ages 2 to 14. She wants us to be some type of trashy people like she is she wants her kids to be just like her which is pathetic and sad because I noticed my siblings are like her I used to be but now I enlightened myself I dont have 1/4 the issues she has. I consider my mom white trash ( sorry if that offenes anyone ). If anything happens she'll lie and make it look like she was just trying to be the good guy and i try to expose her but it doesnt help because she manipulates her way out of anything. I have some family but everytime she gets the chance she tries to make me look like some punk kid so i dont talk to them anymore they came for thanks giving but i stayed in my room because I dont want to talk to people that think im some smuk. My dad and i have never talked to to each other until i was 11 ( becuaze he went to prison ) and when I used to go to his house he feels bad bacuase he knows the evil lady my mom is but he doesnt really care. Since I was young I always thought that my mom loved me but it turns out she was trying to look like the good guy so we would we clean the house for her when it's time to clean she sits and has us bring stuff to her 3 things at time, she only does the stuff she has to, well that's not the truth she hasn't put us in school since we moved which was like a month ago. She runs on pity when I was younger she would always tell me that I pity myself, i got to admit I did until I turned around 12 but she still tells me to this day that I feel sorry for myself I don't though. I sometime want to just die but I know that I got a bright future ahead of me or maybe I tell myself that so I don't feel depressed. I am a very understanding person I tried my hardest go always be a good person but somehow she rubbed off on me meaning I am or was a snake like person without doing it on purpose so I was always an outcast but never really had problems with anyone. I never really tried to go against my mom but shes just such a bad person thats its hard to tell what she does right and wrong. I have so many flaws in my mental that im patching up but with her in my life it brings me down i want to start to lie and be a dishonorable person. When I got bullied in 5th and 6th grade I never told my mom because I think I knew deep down that she wasn't there for me but only herself. When I got older I started to realize that she told me stuff to manipulate me constanly like i pity myself or im a loser. She had a bad life suposibly, she rants about how her mom would be some evil lady that never loved her, various stories would be about how she got abandoned or her mom would choose drugs over her, so I do feel bad but at the same time she lies constantly. When I tell what she does wrong she goes off just so I don't try again. I have 5 younger siblings that look up to me so i try to be a good role model but she learns from previous mistakes ( only for her benifit though ) I had it the least worst I guess but my younger sibling are like her soldiers, when i told her that she laughed in a snobby way, and I asked do you feel smart for being able to manipulate her kids and she had a smirk on her face like in a bragging way. She is just like her mom they never admit when there wrong and try to get away with everything they can and will even make people look worse than they are so we trust her. I smoke weed ever time i get the chance (im from california so thats like 3x a day) im not addicticted but it helps me say ******** it so it's kind of a priority to me. Well anyways I try to not to get discouraged but every reply seems to give some meaningless answer all of these people that post a plee for help just get some mumbo jumbo that we already know. I want to know how I can live in a stable environment by myself or with other people like me. If you could help somehow I would be very appreciative.

I'm kind of all over the place sorry but there's so much I remember as I go on.

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          If you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.
          Best of luck,
          NRS

• I’m sick and tired of my family. All throughout my life I’ve been moving around family members as they didn’t want me. I won’t say I was the best child cause I do have a lot of flaws. Recently my grandma just told me she’d had enough and the only option was to move in care. But my dad intervened, I tried my best to tell him and his family in the nicest way possible that I’d rather be in care but to no avail. I have tried to commit suicide numerous times, from overdosing on pills to cutting but I’m still alive so I guess I’m doing something wrong. My dad came home today in a very bad mood saying how he wanted to beat me up, swearing at me and everything because one of his colleagues saw me kissing a boy at a bus stop a year or so back. And I tried to make him know I wasn’t a slut and it was a while ago but he’s not listening. He wants my phone and said he wants to poke out my eyes as I’m tarnishing his image. I really want to run away or kill myself. I mean I love my dad and his family and I know deep down he loves me but I don’t think me living here would work out

Comment

• ccsmod5
          ccsmod5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are having a really rough time at home. No one deserves to be treated the way you described. I am not certain what you mean when you say you should be "in care." I am assuming this means either under inpatient psychiatric care or foster care. Whichever way you mean this, if you feel it is the best option for your situation it may be worth being more straightforward with your family. If you have attempted suicide five times, more intensive care could be an option worth exploring.

I am so sorry you have to deal with the kind of intensity in your homelife you described. No one should have to handle those kinds of threats. If you feel you are in danger of attempting suicide again, we hope you would consider calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, or call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are open 24/7, we are completely confidential, and are always here to talk you through your problems.

Another option we could explore is counseling. It could help to have a person to confide in and discuss these family issues with in person. If you are interested in exploring this option, please call and we can try to help you find sliding scale therapists in your area.

You do have the option of running away if you feel you are in serious danger during your current situation. If it comes to that, we can help you figure out potential resources such as food pantries or shelters in your area. There are other options, however. Abuse reporting is also an option. If you were to file an abuse report it would probably be investigated, but if there is no concrete proof of the abuse, such as audio recording or photographs of physical damage, it would be your word against your guardians' word.

As another option, if you would like to attempt to work this out with your family we could also help referee a discussion with your parents so there would be ground rules and both you and they could feel heard. To explore that option just give us a call and we can organize a conference call with them.

Stay strong,

NRS

• I don’t want to live with my parents anymore . There both separate but legally still married . It’s been like this for a couple of years . My mom has a boyfriend . I feel like since there separation I’m not the same person I used to be . Like everything just fell apart . I’m not happy there . I hate going home . I’m scare of going home . My mom more violence. I’m 16 a junior I’m highschool . Is there any way I can just leave without getting in trouble from the law ? Like honestly there’s so much going on at home I just don’t know what to do I feel like I’m better off without them

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
          While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
          We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          Be safe,
          NRS

• I don’t want to live with my parents anymore they don’t give me the freedom a teenager my age needs they don’t let me live a life they keep me locked up like a 5 year old sometimes when I’m home I can’t take it anymore I just want to leave them I want to go to LA near my cousins they love me more I can’t live with my parents anymore

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
          While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
          We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          Be safe,
          NRS

• My parents have been in a conflict for a long time. I just don’t want to be around them anymore, I just want to be happy. I’m only 12 what do I do? I still love them and all but I just want to be happy Ik it’s selfish but I can’t take it anymore I want to run away.

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,
          Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now and we will do our best to provide support in this difficult situation. One option is to have a conversation with your parents about how you are feeling unhappy. At NRS we offer conference calling, where if you call us we will call out to your parents and have a conference call. Conference calling is there to help provide support and we are there to help mediate the conversation and help you be heard. Another option you could consider is talking to a school counselor about how you are feeling, sometimes talking to a professional can help us feel better and provide us with more resources.
          You have mentioned being 12 years old and wanting to run away. We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. If you were to leave without your parents’ permission, your parents have the right to file a runaway report. If the police found you they would most likely bring you back home. There are other options out there for you besides running away. If you would like to explore some options you can always give us a call at 1800RUNAWAY. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck, stay strong!
          NRS

• I don’t know what to do I can’t live with my mom anymore she mentally abuses me and we can’t even go a minute in the same room without fighting it’s never been this bad before by we don’t get along and she thinks locking me up in the house makes everything better I have ran away a couple times but she just calls the cops and gets me sent home I would love to live with my step dad full time but idk what to do with my mom idk who to contact to get this to happen

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS.

It’s concerning to hear about how difficult your relationship with your mother is. Her mental abuse of you is not acceptable and you do not deserve to feel unsafe in your own home. If you ever want to report your experiences, Child Help (The National Abuse Hotline) is a service that helps youths deal with abuse, no matter the situation. They can be reached at 1-800-422-4453 or at childhelp.org if you ever need support.

As for possibly living with your stepdad, there are a few factors that may affect your specific situation. If your stepdad and mom are willing, then you could ask to stay with him instead of your mom. It also depends whether or not your dad is your legal guardian. You would have to begin to look at legal resources or have them go to court to transfer custody.

It can be difficult to know how to talk to your parents and express your feelings about how you are feeling. We would encourage you to reach out to a trusted adult, teacher, relative, and friend that you can talk to and potentially help you mediate a conversation with your parents about your current situation. At NRS, we do offer a service call conference calling, where you can call into our hotline and then we would reach out to your guardian and help advocate for you, help you express the needs you have to your parents.
          We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.

-NRS

• Problem with mom.

I live with my mom bit she is so mean to me. She cusses at me and dosent feed me right. I am only 12. My grandma buys me some food but not enough. I sometimes feel like ending my life. Please help me. In any possible way. Thankyou

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there, Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
          Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
          If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best. We hope to hear from you soon. Be safe, NRS

• Since i was little I was having suicidal thoughts,when i was 12 i started cutting myself,but then i stopped. I never wanted to live with my mom shes abusive and has anger issues. Resently she caught my boyfriend jumping off our roof. It all started on sunday i was supposed to go to my boyfriends little brothers birthday party but everything didnt go as planed. i got a little upset because i promised them ill be there. And the other problems i had piled onto that. I stop talking to everyone the rest of that day and Monday,but before that i told him i didnt wanna live anymore and that i cut myself again. When he called i would ignore it but he wouldnt stop so i would answer but not speak. When tuesday came he texted me saying he had work to do after school and he wanted to talk to me after. A half an hour later he knocked on the door we started to walk around,sat at a park,then sat in my back yard to talk, He started telling me about his brothers party and about how his day went. Then he asked if he could use the bathroom at first i said no,then started telling him about my day and what was going on,but then he started asking again with a worried face so i said yes then took him in threw the back door not even two minutes later my mom came home at first i was just gonna tell her he had to use the bathroom badly but then we panicked when so he decided to jump out the bathroom window ,but my mom caught him cause she went out to walk the dog. she came at me so fast she started punching me saying "i not gonna see him anymore" . At first i didnt cry cause i didnt really feel anything but later on i realized she said "i couldnt see him anymore". She took everything i have literally my phone, tv,speakers etc.She also said i cant have a sweet sixteen. Its now thursday i could not stop cry since. I talked to my guidance councillor she told me to give her time to calm down,but i dont know how much more i can take...PLEASE HELP ME

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and help in any way that we possibly can. From your post at the bulletin board, it sounds like you are going through a very hard time right now and we are sorry to hear that things are so difficult at home with your mother. No one deserves physical or emotional abuse and it sounds like home is a really unsafe environment. We are open 24/7 and you can always reach out to us if you need support. In addition, you can call the national suicide prevention lifeline at 1800-273-8255 if you feel suicidal or if you need extra support. If you feel like you are at risk of attempting suicide you can always call 911 as well. It really sounds like you are going through a lot in your life. It sounds like your boyfriend really cares about you and we’re sorry that your mother hurt you and took away your things. You do not deserve to be hit and abused or to have all your possessions taken away from you. It sounds like your guidance counselor could be a good resource. Do you think you could talk to her more or that she could connect you to a therapist? It may also help to have a therapist or someone supportive to talk to on a regular basis. We are here for you and here to support you during this tough time. It is very brave of you to reach out and share your story. It really sounds like you’re doing the best you can. Another option if your mother is being abusive is to report the abuse. If you wanted to call into 1-800-RUNAWAY we could help you complete an abuse report. If you wish to report the abuse yourself you could call the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1800-422-4453. Every child abuse case is different, but often with child abuse reporting their goal is family reunification and they could contact your mother. We at NRS also offer a mediation service if you call into our number directly and we would be happy to mediate between you and your mother if you feel that would be an option. You have the right to feel safe and to be in a supportive environment. . You are not alone and you can always feel free to call in at 1-800-RUNAWAY or message us at able on live chat through our website www.1800runaway.org daily from 4:30- 11:30pm if you need extra support.

Be safe and take care,

NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X