Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I started living with my dad in summer and I’ve always lived with my mom. Her and I used to fight all the time she would scream in my face and I was super depressed I didn’t go to school I stayed sleeping all day and stay up all night. Never reall ate still kind of that way. My dad has really bad PTSD and bi polar and he is emotionally abusive also and has kicked me out into the street many times and it’s gotten really bad and I’m depressed again. I don’t wanna live with either parents there making me feel like I should hate myself and im tired of having that feeling like life would be better dead

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation at home. It sounds like both places you have live have been difficult to manage with how your parents are treating you. We are sorry you are experiencing abuse, no one ever deserves to go through that. Also, you dad is responsible for you, and if you are a minor, he is responsible for you until you are 18. You do have the right to report the abuse to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. You can either do it yourself or call into us directly and we can support you through it. It is hard to say the result of reporting, but if you call in you can ask what the process might look like.

Also another way you can seek help is reaching out to a friend, teacher, or counselor at school that can help you look for resources. Your mental health is important. You can also look at SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) at samhsa.gov (call them directly at 1-877-726-4727) or NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness 1-800-950-NAMI to help you find the support that you need. If you do ever feel in direct danger, to yourself, or some else makes you feel that way, please call out to 911 or reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255).

Another thing that you can do is look into emancipation, where you can have the right of an adult. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process.

One of our main goals is to make sure you are safe, so if you ever seriously decide to run away and need shelter, resources, or a safe place to go you can find safe locations at nationalsafeplace.org or reach out to us directly and we can find local resources in your area. We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.

-NRS

• I don’t want to live with my parents anymore. I’m 14. And I’ve never knew about running away of any kind. My mom took everything from me and I can’t even go out. She said she wouldn’t stop me if I ran away and I have somewhere to go but I’d eventually have to go back and I can’t take it. I only have one good thing in my life and that’s my boyfriend. But I can hardly see him. I can hardly text him because she took my phone and she doesn’t let me hang out anymore. I feel like a prisoner. She wants to transfer me to an all girl school and I need my boyfriend in my life. I don’t know what to do because if I were to be put in the system , they’d transfer me out and I don’t know if it’s safe. I need help.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live into a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. If you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. Generally speaking, if a runaway report has been filed and you’re located by the authorities, you will be returned to your parents.

It’s important to consider all the possibilities that can occur if you leave home. You will need to plan out how you will cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc. If you have a place to go in mind, it’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc. This can all influence your decision to leave. If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
      NRS

• My mum has basically said she’s done with me she won’t talk to me and she’s said that she doesn’t care about me even more she has taken all my things just not my phone but even all my makeup and I don’t know what to do because I am so insecure without it I haven’t been out of the house without any makeup on in years and now it’s literally like torture I can’t do that and I really dont know what I should o

Comment

• Reply: My mum has basically...

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We would like to be of assistance to you if we can. It is times like these that would be nice to have a listening ear. It sounds like there are some differences causing communication problems between you and mom. These issues have become even bigger because she has taken some essentials from you that are important to you. This situation has put you in a frustrating position.
      We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. Perhaps there are some other options you might explore. Do you have a friend that might loan you some cosmetics or perhaps you have a way to purchase some more.
      You are welcome to call and discuss your situation. We are here to listen and here to help.
      We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and how we might assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I don’t know what to do anymore

i have divorrced parents with joint joint custody but I have many problems with my mom and what she does and I want to live with my dad or one of my friends but I don’t know what to do with my mom because she is going through a lot.

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom or both parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

• Hello I'm nobody. I don't want to live with my parents effort. I want to self sustain. I want to study and live my life with my hardwork but I don't know what to do.
        Please suggest something. I'm from India.

Comment

• ccsmod1
          ccsmod1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It’s great to hear that you are committed to hard work and expanding your academic journey.

National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community-based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis-related laws is limited to the USA. It might be a good idea to check out Child Line India for help. You can check out their website at http://www.childlineindia.org.in/.
          We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

All the best,
          NRS

• Hi,
        I have been wanting to leave for over a year now even though I am only 13. I have been harming myself and I have thought about suicide multiple times and it’s all because of my parents. They have been mentally abusing me and I don’t think they realize it.

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,

Thank you for reaching out during this difficult time. It sounds like things have been tense between you and your parents and it’s starting to make you feel suicidal. It might be a good idea to look at counseling for you and your family. School counselors might be able to help you during this tough time. Another great resource is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and they can be reached at 1-800-950-NAMI or https://www.nami.org/. You can also reach out the the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
          Nobody deserves to feel emotionally abused at home and your mental and physical well-being are always important. If you would like to report the abuse, a great resource is Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are always here to help you go over your options. We can be reached at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY or online at https://www.1800runaway.org/. Please stay safe and contact us anytime.

• I don't wanna do this anymore...

I'm 14 years old...with an intellectual level higher than the average 14 year old...I wanna kill myself and run away....my little brother always blames ******** on me and my mom believes him...I can never have a computer or a phone for a long while...my brothers always break them...I find myself crying myself to sleep or crying until I wanna end it all....my mom always tells me I'm not gonna get this and that because I do 1 little thing wrong...when my brother ruins our entire life and they act like it's nothing...I do the most around the house and I always come last when it comes to almost everything....I just wanna walk out the door....look over the balcony...and jump head first off th3 3rd floor balcony...

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,
          Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and we are so glad that you had the courage to reach out. It sounds like you are going through a pretty difficult time right now. It sounds pretty frustrating that your brother always breaks your computer and your phone. You could try putting those items in a place where he would not know where it is. We want you to know that your life is valuable, and there is always someone who will listen. You can call The National Suicide Prevention line at: 1800-273-8255. When you are feeling suicidal you can try doing some coping skills that would take your mind off of feeling suicidal. One coping skill may be to pick up the phone and text a friend or call someone you trust and let them know how you are feeling. Another idea could be to write your feelings in a journal whether they are good feelings or bad feelings. One more idea could be to do hobbies that you enjoy.
          We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to talk more please give us a call at 1800RUNAWAY, we are always here to listen and provide support for

• Hi, I'm a young girl from a small town. I have kind of run out of options and I don't know what to do. Something happened to me and my parents found out... they blame me. I am now grounded which isn't normally such a big deal, but it's gotten to the point that I'm barely able to go to school... My parents have become overbearingly strict and I'm walking on eggshells trying not to upset them. I want to get out...

Comment

• Reply: Hi, I'm a young girl from a small town

Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
          It sounds like there may be some communication issues between you and your parent’s. The situation has you feeling uneasy around them. Things sound pretty tense for you right now.
          We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance.
          If you would like to talk more about your situation and maybe explore some options that might help to cope with everything, please call or chat soon.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope that reaching out to NRS helped with venting some of your frustrations.

Take Care,
          NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Hi, i no longer want to live with my parents. We always get into arguments and they threaten to send me to boarding school. They treat me like dirt and don’t buy me my nesesities.

Comment

• ccsmod6
              ccsmod6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello –

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes great courage to reach out. I’m sorry to hear that life at home has led you to want to run away, that sounds like a difficult situation to deal with. Having your parents threaten you must make home feel unsafe.

Having a place to stay to ensure that you are safe is very important. It is important to discuss these issues to try and improve your home life. As an organization, we provide a conference call service. This conference call service is a moderated conversation by a member of the NRS where you set the guidelines and goals in order to have a productive conversation that can mutually benefit your life at home.

There’s a lot to think about when leaving home. Do you have anyone who would be willing to let you stay with them? How do you think your parents would react to you leaving? As a minor, some things to keep in mind are that your parents could file a runaway report with the police. In this case, if you are picked up by the police, they could return you home. It’s also good to keep in mind that anyone you stay with could be at risk for harboring a runaway. Fortunately running away doesn’t usually have any legal consequences, but harboring is often considered a misdemeanor.

If you would like to discuss the reasons as to why you want to runaway or you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are available 24/7 and can be toll-free reached at the number listed above. We are confidential, anonymous, and non-direct.

Best Wishes

~NRS

• I hate my life

Comment

• ccsmod6
              ccsmod6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there, Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation. If you call in to 1-800-RUNAWAY we could can discuss more in detail how we can best support you through this situation. Stay strong! You are not alone in this and we are here 24/7.
              -NRS

• I'm 15 and i hate my family. I've never lived a normal life, my parents move every single year, my mum is bipolar and puts all her anger on me, my dad is selfish is never home and whenever he's home he yells at me, my brother is the golden boy even if he does some bad stuff once in a while. My parents don't see me for who I am. Im invisible, lonely, depressed and have no one to talk to. I need a new home, parents that love me, that show they love me.
            My mum and dad fight all the time, they say im the reason why she wants to leave and why she's going to have a divorce.
            I just want a normal life, please help me. I need to get an emancipation as soon as possible.

Comment

• ccsmod6
              ccsmod6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there,

First of all, thanks for reaching out. It totally makes sense why you would feel that way about your family, and why you would want to get out. Nobody deserves to be treated that way, especially by their parents. It sounds like they say some really hurtful things. You definitely deserve parents that show they love you.

Lots of people come to us with problems like yours, and there’s never an easy answer. But, there are lots of things that can help. Some people find it helpful to have friends, adults, or other family members to talk to about their family problems. It can also help to talk to a teacher who you trust, or a school counselor. Sometimes talking things through with other people can help you figure out what you can do to make it better.

Unfortunately, emancipation is a really hard process. In order to be emancipated, you’d need to show that you have an income and a way to support yourself on your own (for example, pay rent). In some states you also need your parents’ permission. We’re not legal experts, but if you want to pursue emancipation, the first thing to do would be to reach out to one. If you google emancipation + your state, you might be able to find some free advice!

If you want to talk more about your situation, you can post again here, chat us at 1800runaway.org, or call us at 800 786 2929. We’d love to hear from you.

-NRS

• alright so my my name is Ezekiel and im just going to put it out there my family hates me. You can say i herd that alot but they really do im the adopted child in the family and there is one other sibling and thats my step sister she hates me to i had my real sister living with me to but the parents that im with now separated us i want to leave the my house but i dont know how i might just run away and start a new life or something. The reason why they probably neglect me is because i smoke weed witch isn't a big deal because i still listen to them but the thing is is that my older step sister smokes weed to but they dont give her any punishments she is practically the golden child. They have me home schooled now because i apparently get into to many fights in high school witch doesn't make sense sure i get into fights but there for the proper reasons like when this guy was messing with this girl i know and he was pulling on her hair and the girl said stop but he wasn't so i came up to tell him to like go away and he said no so all i did was push him so than he swung and so we started fighting so i got ISS that day and the kid got off scotch free so ya. My parents never listen to me they made me break up with my girl friend because they didn't like her they told her parents that i was a bad kid so if like anyone can like give constructive criticism that would be straight

Comment

• ccsmod5
              ccsmod5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It must be really frustrating that you don’t feel the support of your parents. We are here to help you out the best we can.
              It sounds like you and your parents are not on the same page. You mention that they are not treating your step sister and you the same way, have you tried to communicate your feelings and frustration to them?
              Sometimes this can be a hard thing to do, and we understand that. Here at National Runaway Safeline, we offer conference calling. That means that if you were to call into our 24/7, anonymous and confidential hotline at 1800-RUNAWAY, we could call out to your parents and facilitate a conversation between the two of you, and mediate to make sure that you are being heard in everything that you want to communicate.
              Have you ever explored the option of family counseling? Here at NRS we have a large database of different resources, including counseling services. If this is an option you would like to discuss further, or would like resources in your area, we would be happy to locate some close to you.
              You mentioned that you want to leave home, have you thought of what your plan would be? We just want to make sure that you are safe in whatever decision you make. We are here 24/7, and our line is confidential and anonymous at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We also have a chat option available from 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST through our website at 1800RUNAWAY.org. Please call or chat us if you would like to talk further or if we can provide you any local resources. We are here to listen and here to help.
              We wish you the best of luck and please stay strong!

• Hello. I am going to tell you what has been going on recently in my two homes. First, let us start with my father. He's a moody, angering, very stressful person, and I have had it with him. He does nothing to actually be there for me, (emotionally), and he's done the absolute worst to me. (again,emotionally) I have suffered from verbal abuse from both of my parents and I need to get away from them. both of them. They are constantly fighting about me and my sister, who is 13 now. My mother, on the other hand, is a totally different story. She has to constantly bring up the fact that my father had supposedly "cheated" on her, and she lashes out in anger on us, mainly because we don't want to hear it. She constantly has to emotionally bring us down with her, and she is always practically verbally abusing us as well. ESPECIALLY my sister, who is getting in way more trouble than I am, and it scares me to think what she would do to her if she ever talked back. I also want to say that both of my parents are unfit to even be our actual parents. Yeah, they may care for us, but then again they still abuse us. Emotionally and Mentally. I now am very depressed about the situation, and I want to get myself out. As for my sister, I think it would be safe for her to stay with my dad because she and my dad actually get along with each other rather than me and he does. I don't know what to do with myself now though. I honestly have had it. I don't have anyone to be with now, and I need help, desperately. I am honestly the most disrespected person in my family, and I have just had it with all of my family members, and my parents. I just feel like I'm alone. Sometimes I just wonder if they ever even want me around anymore, and I have just had it. Please contact me. I need someone to talk to about these situations. Please and thank you.
            Last edited by ccsmod4; 02-06-2019, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X