Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reply: I’m 13 but absolutely...

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like there are some issues that have you frustrated with the current living situation with your parent’s.
    We understand it can be difficult to know where to turn when things become stressful.
    You did a good job by reaching out. NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    We want you to know we are here to support you at this tough time.
    Sometimes talking things through can be helpful with finding ways to cope with a difficult situation.

If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, we can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance, please call or chat soon. You are free to talk about your situation and explore options with you.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
    NRS
    We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Hi my names Mahiah I’m 13 years on and I don’t think I can live with my mom anymore. It all started when I was younger like around 5 she used to party all the time while my dad was in jail and I had to take care of me and my little sister. And as I got older my mom used to smack me in the face if she asked me a question and I didn’t know the answer and “you never ********ing know anything”. But then she stopped doing that around the age 11 and if I got in trouble talking to boys etc. she would fight me and punch me in the face while she pulled my hair. I let it continue till I got fed up and I ran away this year. When my mom found me she chocked me and pull me by my hair out the car. And I was back at home for about 2 weeks and my dad thought I was on the phone with the people I was with when I ran away and my mom hit me as well as my dad so I ran away again.so when my mom found me she sent me away to Florida and told me that I was going to come back if she told me to do things she asked me too. I competed those this those things now she just is finding every excuse for me to stay out here. I’m only being nice to her for me to go back to where I live. But when I get back I know this is going to continue. Is there any way my close friends parents can get custody on me & still have my sister live with my mom because she seems happy and I don’t want to ruin it for her.
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 12-14-2018, 01:39 AM.

Comment

• Reply:

Hi there Mahiah,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a about what’s going on. You don't deserve to be abused in any way. It is not your fault.
        You have the right to want to be treated fairly. It sounds like you are no longer at home but would like to return and possibly stay with a friend and their parent’s.
        We are not legal experts. Generally speaking change of custody and guardianship issues are usually heard in a court of law. Sometimes when there is a report of abuse Child Protective Services will investigate and a case manager could decide that it is in the best interest and safety for the child or children to be removed from the home and placed in a safe setting with another family member, foster care, group home or an adult person deemed responsible to take care of the child.

Again this is generally speaking.
        NRS is here as support to help during this tough time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more about your situation in detail, please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
        NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• So i don’t wanna live with my mom anymore but i don’t wanna move with my dad either (he is in puerto rico) because i love florida and everything here is better: the schools , the atmosphere,the houses and i don’t wanna leave my friends and my boyfriend. But i don’t wanna live with my mom anymore because she is very strict, she doesn’t let me do anything she barely lets me go out w my friends and she doesn’t let me have a boyfriend till am 18 (am 16) she doesn’t know i have a boyfriend. So i wanna know if i can move w my friend without getting my friends mom in trouble and i don’t wanna get my mom in trouble either

Comment

• ccsmod9
            ccsmod9 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,
            Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
            While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
            We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
            If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
            Be safe,
            NRS

• I hate my parents they always verbally abuse me and my dad used to hit me, I just wish I can go back into the foster care system and had never been adopted. Most of all I hate my life and just wanna die cause I'm suicidal and I even have cuts on my wrist. I'm all alone in the world and have no friends.i hate living with my family and just wanna live somewhere else or be homeless. I'm 13 years old . If u have any advice please share it with me
          Last edited by ccsmod7; 12-17-2018, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a really difficult situation and you so deserve to be treated with respect. Nothing is more important than your life, and here at NRS we truly want to be a support for you.

From your post, it is hard for us to determine whether you are in the U.S. or the U.K. If you are in the states please do not hesitate to call or chat us to go over your options for leaving home. We can look to see what youth shelters are in your area and we can help report the abuse with you if that is something you are interested in. Also please call 911 if you are feeling like you are in immediate danger. The National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

If you are located in the UK, you might try to reach out to Samaritans at www.samaritans.org 116-123 for support. Please know that you are not alone, no matter where you are.

Again, if you are in the states please do not hesitate to call or chat us for support.

We wish you the best,

NRS

• I hate life and I wanna kill myself, I'm suicidal
          Last edited by ccsmod7; 12-17-2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

It sounds like you are thinking about killing yourself. It takes a lot of strength to reach out for help, and we are so glad that you did. Your life has worth and our top priority is your safety. If you feel this is an emergency you could consider calling 911 for emergency assistance. You can also call us if you would like to have an advocate on the phone with you while calling fro help. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.

You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk. We are here for you and want to help you get through this.

Best,

NRS
            Last edited by ccsmod7; 12-17-2018, 03:23 PM.

• Help
          i dont want the live with my parents im under 15 n living with them gives me anxiety n depression living with them makes my life hell n i have been considering commiting since 11 years old i have also started self harming and i dont want this to continue n the only way i see myself being able to stop this is to move out i think it would also be best for me

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe and stay strong,

NRS

• hi,

i dont know how to begin. i guess it started when i was little. but my dad was abusive and he hurt everyone in my family including me my mom and my sister. we were young and didnt understand but we always knew our parents hated eachother. when i was 8 he left after 3 years of my parents chasing and arguing through a divorse. as a kid i saw a lot of stuff a kid shouldnt see and it made me kind of afraid of both my parents. when i was 10 my dad just left and he chose not to support us. dont really care about him because he was just so absent from my life. it kind of like if he died but is messed up because no one in my family cares. it affected my sister because in cort i had to testify against him for my moms sake and she still wanted to have a dad. my sister and i are not close anymore becuase of all the family drama and i dont have anyone to vent to. at the same time of alll of this my mom started telling me about her life when she would drink and get super drunk. it was messed up and she needed a therapist but she would go to me an 8 year old child for advise and comfort. it has been like that for 10 years. when i was 12 she fell in love with my uncle who lives on the otherside of the country and decided to move my family there just after being settle in a house were i made friends. she would emotionally torture us with unstability. when we moved in my unlce moved in who i didnt have a relationship with. she would brainwash me into supporting her. she would get super depressed and suicidal if something in their relationship went wrong. she exposed her sexual life style with me when i was like 8-14 and treated me like an equal, but would then displace alll of her agression twoards me. my life is literally hell. my sister got very intrevertd and i think she was going through depression when he lived with us. i took care of my uncles kid while my mom tried to force a relationship and make a new family so fast
          i went from loosing my grandparents and friends to being a slave to make my moms ideal life possible. he left her eventually and she got depressed suicidal and blamed me for him leaving. she had me walk with her everyday in the summer for 4 hours a day and she would just talk about him. i lost all my friends i got very depressed and she made me want to end my life. she eventually drove away my boyfriend and used all of the money i made working to pay bills. my junior year of highschool she was realy emotionally abusive i called a 211 hotline and they were going to open a case. she went to the school immediatly and told them i was crazy and unstable. but i was just seeking help. i had a therapy session that was supposed to be for me but she sabatoged it by talking 55 minutes of the 1 hour session. she is controling matipulative and abusive all for her own benifit. she has turned my sister and my grandparents against me and plans on making my life horrible. she doesnt respect me or appreciate anything ive done. i have to call random people on the internet to keep my mind at ease.. i really want to leave and am 18 but i am in school and trying to make a life for myself. lll be living on campus next semester and i have options but it is just really difficult to deal with this life all the time in a home where no one loves me .

Comment

• ccsmod3
            ccsmod3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there and thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. You are dealing with some pretty difficult things and we would like to commend you for taking the step and reaching out for support. It must have been extremely difficult to grow up with a neglectful and abusive father as well as an abusive mother who put more pressure on you than she should. You are very strong to have made it so far and seem to still be committed to your personal goals and independence. That is honorable and you deserve as much support as you need as well as an environment that is going to be healthy for you. You mentioned that you are no longer close with your sister and have lost friends, including a boyfriend due to your mother and everything that is going on. With dealing with so much it may be beneficial to have someone to talk to and offer support to you. If there is no one who is in your immediate social group or family, there may be resources for you to be able to connect with someone who can be of assistance to you. It may be beneficial to contact NAMI, which is a mental health organization you can interact with over the phone. Their number is 1800-950-NAMI. It is great you will be going to school and living on campus next semester. Hopefully, it is something you are really looking forward to and serves as a way to help you be away from your current environment. We would love to talk with you further here at NRS. We are here to assist and be of support for you so, feel free to contact us at any time by calling our 24/7 hotline 1800-RUNAWAY or you can chat with is live by visiting our website 1800runaway.org. Hope to hear from you soon and best of luck.

• is it possible to leave your house and make say your grandma your legal guardian without parental consent?

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello there, thanks for reaching out.

We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally. Typically, you cannot make a non-custodial relative your guardian on your own. To change who has custody over you either 1) your guardian would voluntarily give up custody of you or give someone temporary custody of you; or 2) if home is unsafe and you are removed from your home by Child Protective Services (CPS).

If home is unsafe, please call or chat us to talk about your options and plan around your safety. You can always call 911 if you are feeling like you are in immediate danger.

If your grandma has a good relationship with your guardian, you might ask her to talk to them for you. The easiest way you can move out before you are a legal adult is with parental permission.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat.

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

-NRS

• I don't wanna stay with here nomo and I'm about to hurt my self

Comment

• ccsmod9
            ccsmod9 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,
            Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
            Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
            If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
            We hope to hear from you soon.
            Be safe and stay strong,
            NRS

• I feel really creatively oppressed in my home. It’s hard to explain but I feel like I’m stuck in this mold I can’t get out of when I’m around my family and everyone in this place. I feel I could find my purpose if i could leave but I don’t know how. A lot of bad things have been happening in my life and my family members are strict and not very supportive although they are good people.

They want me to follow a certain lifestyle that isn’t for me. If I think about it whatever I do to make them happy won’t matter in the end, because if I were to do everything they wanted and I was the only one left after they died, left with all of the things they wanted me to achieve, what even is the point?

I need to leave but I don’t want to sever connections with anyone. I’m just rethinking everything right now and it’s hard to put into words, but I don’t even know what I want to be other than what they’ve moulded me into wanting. I can’t take any lifechanging, slightly risky experiences because they’re so hell bent on keeping me safe and on this path for this mediocre life I dont want to live. But I need those experiences to grow and improve as a person.

I feel trapped and dead and time scares me now. I don’t know what to do but leave. I have to find what I want to do and be and create before it’s too late. What if I never utilize my potential? What if I keep living a slightly altered, continued version of their life once they pass and I am left behind? How can I know what I want to do with my life unless I get a chance to live it properly and test the waters?

Comment

• ccsmod15
            ccsmod15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out for help.

It sounds like things have been really difficult for you at home. It sounds like you have been thinking about leaving home. As you mentioned leaving home can be hard in many cases and it can be helpful to think about where you might stay and how you might pay for food, rent or other living expenses. Talking to family members and explaining how you feel could be good first step to help explain what's been going on. Family counseling can be helpful in many situations. You could contact SAMHSA at 1-877-726-4727 and they can help provide you counseling resources.

While we are not legal experts, speaking generally if you are to leave without your parents permission and police report is filed the police can bring you back home and whoever you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway. It is never too late to utilize your potential and grow and improve yourself. If it might be an option for you, you could call us at our 24 hour confidential hotline and we would be happy to explore your options, provide you any resources.

You are acting smart by reaching out for help and we wish you the best.

Best,
            NRS

• I mkved to a different country 7months ago and it' been really hard for me.I miss my friends and my grandparents a lott I miss my life back home
          my parents ignore the fact that is hard for me and I can't talk to them
          Everyoneis happy besides me
          They won't let me go back
          They think I'm sad because my friends tell me that It's not good here and I should move back and it's the opposite
          yesterday was ner years and at I wentwithmy parents it was extremely hard seeing all if my friends having while I'm sitting alone so I started crying and went to the car so no one can see me and my dad saw me and got the whole family and we went home I was in the car crying at 00:00 when we got home my dad told me I won't have contact with anyone from my country and took my phone I haven't stooped crying since my eyes are swollen and they hurt I even wanted to kill myself last night
          I can't stand them anymore I just wanna leave and never see them againmoo

Comment

• ccsmod15
            ccsmod15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,
            Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re in a lot of pain and leaving your previous home has been extremely difficult for you. I’m glad you reached out, it takes strength to do so when you’re feeling this way.
            It sounds like you aren’t getting much support from your family. It can be hard when everyone around you seems content and isn’t understanding of your discomfort.

We are not legal experts, and unfortunately legal laws and cultural norms can vary a lot in another country. Regardless of the country, leaving home can be hard. It can be helpful to think about where you might stay, how you might pay for food, rent and other living expenses. In some countries you may actually get in trouble with the law for leaving home. It can be helpful to check in a lawyer or a local police department as to what the laws may be. Talking to people you trust like family members, friends, school counselors can be helpful as well.

We can discuss possibilities of where you would go if you left and how you would support yourself. You mentioned you’re thinking of ending your life, you can go to the emergency room or call the police. It’s understandable you’re feeling in distress, you deserve to be heard and get peace of mind.
            It sounds like this move has been affecting you negatively overall, and to discuss it further you can give us a call at the number provided above, or you can chat with us at www.1800runaway.org. We are available 24/7. We look forward to speaking to you. Again, thanks for reaching out.

Take care,
            NRS

• My parents fight a lot, like, a lot a lot. Almost every day about everything. My dad can be very straightforward and is more of a left brain, he grew up in a nice family. He travels for a living, so he's not here a lot so its harder to connect with him. He's always telling and stressing me about school work. He's said several times he wants to leave. Supposedly he's mentally sick, which is what my mom has said. Then there is my mom, she's a stay at home mom so I bond with her much more, she's a right brain. But she can be pretty backward sometimes, Shes always complaining about how shes stuck and trapped here in the house and how she wants to get out more. She also has a bit of a hoarding problem, but whenever I bring it up, she gets mad. Shes really emotional about things actually. She grew up without her dad cause he died when she was two and supposedly her mom was an alcoholic and had to work at a factory? She believes in conspiracy theories and like the moon landing being fake and the Mandela effect. Shes also spiritual too. The reason she hasn't gotten a divorce already like shes said shell do is cause shes scared? And she thinks that she understands everything like my emotions and how I think! Crazy right? Whenever I say I need help cause of how I've been unhappy, she said that she'll get me therapy but she won't let me get medication, cause it'll start up more problems in the future or that ill be too dependent on it. Yet she makes no move to get me help, she says that she'll get me therapy cause I've seen mom and dad fighting all of my life and its unhealthy that I'm so used to it. Mom has said that ill be living with her after the divorce but I don't want to live with either of them, even if it means with other family or foster care.
          • I try to tell mom how I feel, but whenever I say something that she doesn't like, she gets upset. I don't know what to do and I'm scared that eventually, I'm going to implode and hurt myself. I don't want to be here anymore. I would talk to the teachers at school or maybe relatives, but I don't know how to bring it up. Shes always victimizing herself and I never know what she says is true anymore. I need out of here as soon as possible. I live in Ohio nearby Cleveland. My first name is Zoe. I'm 14 years old.

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are living in a tense, uncomfortable environment with parents who are often in conflict. You also have shared some interesting observations about your parents and possible causes behind their behavior. We haven’t met your parents, but as you describe them they haven’t been able to support you during this time nor provide a stable home you need.

It must also be very stressful to hear both of your parents talk about a potential divorce. We can understand why you have the feeling that you’d rather live in foster care than with one of your parents, but we’d like suggest that there may be ways to first improve your living situation at home before you explore this option.

Here are some ideas for how to improve your situation.

Talk to a professional. It’s clear from what you wrote that you see, think and feel a lot about your living situation at home! It would be helpful to discuss these feelings and observations with a trained professional to get their perspective. It can also be helpful just to talk about these options out loud with an adult with a little more life experience. You can start with a counselor at school for a confidential talk.

Ask your parents about joint counseling. Assuming you talk to a school counselor and feel like you benefit from the experience, you can then ask your parents about participating in some group counseling. If your family has health insurance, you should be able to get this for free or at a very low cost.

Also consider ways to set boundaries and protect yourself at home. Some of the personal matters your parents have shared with you are not appropriate to share with children. Think about ways you have your parents stop sharing this information with you -- you may even need to have a strategy for moving to a different part of the house or having a safe place to go nearby.

These are just a few ideas to consider. It takes some courage to reach out to us and we hope this information has been helpful for you during this difficult time. If you would like to talk through this anymore, please don’t hesitate to call us at the National Runaway Safeline. You can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• My mom wants me to leave, but i have no where to go and im 16 and i live in Bridgeport Ct

Comment

• ccsmod0
            ccsmod0 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,
            Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. It sounds lie your mother is not giving you a choice about having to leave her house. We want you to know that we are not legal experts but generally speaking a person is not considered an adult until they are 18. This means that their guardians are legally responsible for them. So the parent is required by law to provide for the youth (food, shelter, school, etc.) If they fail to do so then they can face legal consequences. If you felt the need to report this you always have the right to contact Child Protective Services at 800-842-2288 this also means that the youth cannot live anywhere else without parents’ consent. There are exceptions to this rule but those include getting the court involved such as emancipation or Child Protective Services removing the parent’s rights. Additionally, if you need a safe place to go we can try locating shelters in your area. If you feel comfortable you can give us a call and we can help you explore possible options 1-800-786-2929.
            Best wishes,
            NRS

• I don't want to live with my parents at all. I am being verbally and emotionally abuse by them. My mom keeps on telling me that she will strangle me to death and she hits me with sticks and clothing hangers. I try to reason with them and ask what the problem is but all they do is scream at me. My parents even tried kicking me out of the house multiple time and threw my clothes and bag outside in front of my house. I am only 15 years old please help me

Comment

• ccsmod3
            ccsmod3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. What you're experiencing with your parents sounds awful and you don't deserve to be treated like that at all. You shouldn't be hit or screamed at by your parents and it makes sense that you're feeling hurt and uncomfortable staying in your home. It was really brave of you to reach out for help and I want to thank you for taking care of yourself by looking for support. We're available 24/7 and here to help however we can, so please feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY anytime. The way your parents are treating you sounds really hurtful and unfair, and if you give us a call we might be able to give you more specific support and suggestions for what to do next.

It's good that you've tried to talk to your parents about their behavior, but it's not OK that instead of talking to you calmly or stopping, they're threatening to hurt you and even trying to kick you out of your home. That sounds like a really difficult place to be in right now, but you don't have to face this alone. It sounds like you are being abused, and you should never be made to feel unsafe at home. If you don't feel safe staying in your home, there might be options for you to stay somewhere else. Think about whether there a friend or family member you can talk to about what's going on. You might also want to think about whether there anyone like that whom you can stay with, even for a short time. If staying at home doesn't feel like a safe option to you right now, you might also be able to stay in a shelter. If you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY we might be able to talk through your options on where to stay and give you specific resources in your area. We have a database of shelters and resources, and we could help you locate a place to stay and help you contact shelters via telephone. We are not legal experts here, but since you're under 18 you might face some challenges when searching for shelters. Some shelters may at some point need to get parental consent for longer stays, however there are other options for emergency housing too. You can look up some of these options yourself using:
            211.org
            nationalsafeplace.org
            homelessshelterdirectory.com.

It might be helpful to get some support from an adult in your life whom you trust, like a relative, a teacher or counselor at your school, or the parent of a friend. But keep in mind that if you tell a teacher or counselor that you are experiencing abusive treatment from your parents, they will probably be mandated to report this to the police. If you're not sure what this means or don't feel comfortable with this, you can give us a call and talk about it more. We are a confidential hotline. Though we at NRS are mandated reporters, we understand that reporting is not going to be a good option for everyone. We can help you explore all of your options and further clarify our role as mandated reporters. And if you do decide that you want to report what's been happening to you, we can help you file a report. If that's an option you want to take, we can help by either filing a report on your behalf or guiding you through the reporting process.

We should mention that every state’s Child Protective Services may work differently when it comes to making abuse/neglect reports. We know that this can be intimidating and difficult for a lot of people. Here's a little bit of information in case that's an option that you're considering: If abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it to the proper authorities. Once it's been reported, they will either decide whether or not to take the case and investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (this may involve interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. Depending on the level of danger they determine, they might decide to remove you from your home temporarily or more permanently, but this does not always happen. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/.
            If you would like to talk to anyone else about what's been going on any time, anonymously, you can also call Child help. It's a hotline that helps children who might be facing abuse. They are also available 24/7 and you can call them at 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453) and their website is https://www.childhelp.org/hotline/resources-kids/

You do not have to do this alone. You can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY and we can help you navigate through that process anytime. We are here to help and listen. We are open 24/7 and are confidential.
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X