Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we understand that it can be difficult to reach out and we are glad you took the first steps into reaching out. We are sorry that you feel depressed and isolated at home. Ideally home is a place where you feel happy and not isolated. You could consider talking to your mother about the way you are feeling, and see if there are activities you would be able to do. We know that having this conversation can be difficult, at NRS we offer conference calling. Conference calling is where you would call us and we can call your mother and be here to help mediate the conversation. If you are interested in this option please give us a call at 1800runaway. For most states the age that is legal for people to leave home is 18 years old. If you were to leave home before that age you could be considered as a runaway. Running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense. We are not legal experts but what that means is you would not be arrested but the police could return you back home. We hope this information will help you in your situation. We wish you the best of luck, and remember you are not alone stay strong! If you would like to talk more or have any other questions feel free to call or chat with us we are available 24/7

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I don't wanna live with family because there are to violent or aggressive every day where do I go

Comment

• ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. It seems you are experiencing something very difficult right now and hopefully we can assist. Having to live with family who are violent or aggressive seems to be affecting you very negatively. It must be difficult to have to experience that every day. Based on the state you are in, there is a legal age for being an adult where you would be able to leave the home and live elsewhere without your parents or guardians permission. If you are still a minor, it is your parents or guardian’s responsibility to make that decision however. If you are experiencing aggression or violence towards yourself and feel you are going to be harmed, or have been harmed, you are able to report that abuse and potentially be removed from the home. To learn more about that, you can give us a call here or contact the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1800-422-4453 as well as visiting their website childhelp.org. There can be a number of options for you to leave the home and live elsewhere, especially with your parents’ permission if they are willing. There are shelters, transitional homes, or you can stay with willing family or friends. However, if you are feeling unsafe and choose the leave the home without permission, you still have options for help. If you would like to explore your options further or talk more with us, we would love to assist. Feel free to give us a call at 1800-RUNAWAY or visit our site to chat live at 1800runaway.org.

• Hello,

My mom has legal custody of me. I’m not living with my dad because he got arrested for prostitution Promotion and lying to me about it, also we got into a fight last Christmas and he threatened me with cops and using my College money to fight me in court. I don’t want to live with my mom because she is narcissistic and held me hostage in an apartment, I’m 16 and can’t be emancipated till I’m 17. My mom is not making me live with her but she’s getting paid disabillity. My dad is coming into town and if he finds out I’m not living with my mom he can take me from Missouri to Kentucky. The problem is that my grandparents have been taking care of me for a year and they and I both want them to be my legal guardian, I just don’t have an easy way to do it and need help.

Comment

• ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that you have much to think about not to mention you must be going through a stressful. We appreciate you taking the time to stop by and ask for help. Our hope is that we would provide you with tips and resources to help you make a more informed decision in your situation.
        It seems like you have very little options in your situation. However some options you might have are to perhaps call the authorities. They would be able to see if you have more options since it seems like neither of your legal parents are taking care of you. One idea might be to have your grandparents show the police that they have been taking care of you and maintaining you. This could be with bills and showing them that they are rooming you. This might help in your plea since it would show neither of your parents are taking responsibility on. You could also let them know about the prostitution and rape acts committed.
        Again we want to commend your bravery for contacting us we know it takes a lot to seek out help. If for any reason you would have more questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us either by phone at (1-800-786-2929) or online through the chat option at (www.1800runaway.org).
        Best Wishes-NRS

• Hi I’m Todd and I’m 13 recently I’ve been investigating to see if my parents have been using drugs, I’ve found cold medicine. We have this thing FULL OF LOTS OF PILLS. Anyways when I asked if i could go on anti depressants/ Anti Anxiety, they said I could try weed of course I said no. I go to my Grandmas a lot she actually makes me more comfortable than my parents
      but she does work a lot sooooo, I’m 13 I can cook my own meals, I’ve been thinking what if I moved to her place she would only haft to buy me food and drinks easy. I’m also homeschooled which makes me really depressed. My friend lives at the apartment complex and said his mom would take me to school everyday. More things to notice my parents sleep a lot, and smoke a lot. It’s scary to know they smoke in the house with me. I don’t wanna get cancer or Breathing problems. Anyways..... Todd from South Dakota

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, Dakota. Thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. It seems like you are having quite a few concerns. Hopefully, we can assist. It sounds a bit scary for you to be around your parents and when they are using drugs. You seem very strong and you are brave to want to choose to be in a different environment. As far as living with your grandmother, it may be beneficial to communicate with her your concerns and desire to live with her. Maybe your grandmother could be willing to help you talk to your parents about you living with her as well. It also sounds like you have a desire to have different schooling. This could be something beneficial to communicate as well and maybe be able to determine a more desirable learning environment for you. It may be very difficult to talk to people when you don’t necessarily know how they will respond. We would like you to know that we are here to help and could even assist you by having a conference call if you would feel more comfortable communicating with your grandmother or anyone else on the phone with our help. We would also love to provide you with any other resources you think you may need. If you would like to talk about this all further, feel free to give us a call at our 24/7 hotline 1800-RUNWAY or chat with us live by visiting our website 1800runaway.org.

• Should I run away..
      could I get in big trouble...
      and is there other choice for something else you can do besides running away??

Comment

• personally my parents suck and idk why i can mever make them happy with me. its like im stuck with them hating me and they always will hate me. i give up. ive overdosed 2 times and ran away 4 times. they still treat me like crap and make me feel worthless. i want to overdoes again so i wont have to live with them for 6 months- a year. but idk if i wanna throw away my progress but its getting to be too much. idk how much longer i can take it.

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there,
          Thank you so much for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we know it takes courage to reach out to us and we are glad you took the first steps into reaching out for help. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. You mentioned you think that your parents hate you, you may consider talking to them about the way you are feeling. You mentioned overdosing, which is a pretty scary situation, we are glad you survived it. You may consider contacting SAMHA, which is a service for substance abuse and mental health. They can be reached at 1877-726-4727. And we are sorry your parents make you feel like crap and worthless, you are defiantly not worthless. It seems like you care about the progress you made, and by overdosing again it could prevent you from making progress. It may be a good idea to set goals and have things that help motivate you into staying clean. Also at NRS we offer conference calling, which is like a 3 way phone call. If there is something you would like to talk to your parents about but are nervous, you can reach out to us by calling 1800runaway and we can do a conference call with your parents. A conference call helps you have difficult conversations, while we are there to support you and mediate the conversations. We hope this information was useful in your situation, if you have any more questions or would like to talk feel free to give us a call we are available 24/7. We wish you the best of luck, remember stay strong you are not alone!
          NRS

• Okay I am 16 and my birthday is in a couple months and I am in foster care what would I have to do to be able to get out of this place because I live with my uncle my aunt but I am a very independent person and I don't like relying on people and I am very depressed and I'm becoming depressed and I feel like I can't escape my past because every time I turn around my mom my very abusive mom is over here and I'm just ready to be on my own I'm sick of the questions I don't feel at home here and I just want to find a place where I feel safe and happy I don't like asking my aunt my uncle for stuff because I feel like I'm a burden on them because they've already had to take in my brother and sister I just wanted make it easier on them because they do so much for me but I need to do what's best for me and it honestly I really want to get out so bad I would do anything at this point so any advice on what I need to do to get started in the right direction s

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi. Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re going through a very difficult time living with your uncle and your aunt. Some options to possibly consider might be telling your aunt and uncle how you feel and maybe letting them know you don’t feel comfortable when your mother comes around. If you need any additional help on how to approach them with your feelings please feel free to reach out to our hotline 1800-RUNAWAY. Another option to consider is calling some support hotlines such as NAMI 1-800-850-6264 or Child Help at 1800-422-4453. These hotlines may be able to assist you further with your depression and provide some new coping skills on how to deal with your past. Another thing to consider is possibly talking with your aunt and uncle about getting emancipated. However, getting emancipated can be a very lengthy process and the requirements vary from state to state. In addition, you usually will be required to show proof that you are able to provide for yourself financially and can live on your own. We hope this was helpful. If you would like to discuss options further please feel free to reach back out to us via call or chat, we are here.

• I want to die because of my parent

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
          Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
          If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          We hope to hear from you soon.
          Be safe and stay strong,
          NRS

• What if I don't want to live with my mom anymore? I feel like she hates me because she never trusts me, she is really impatient with me, she screams at me if I don't do my chores exactly when she asks (I could do them 5 minutes later). when I told her this she started crying and instead of saying something like I'm sorry or something like that she said "you want to take money away from me and your siblings?" that made me feel like nothing. it confirmed that I was just money to her, that she doesn't care if I move out she cares about the money that she gets for me. I also don't feel safe. one night she took away my ps4 and said she was going to sell it. I was okay with that but she wouldn't let me get my cousins and my own account off of it. so I tried to follow her but m sister got in the way. I tried to push her out of the way and my mom came running up the stairs screaming. "DONT PUT YOUR HANDS ON HER!!!!!!!" and didn't even hesitate to hit me. I just want to live with someone else. I can't live with my dad because he doesn't have a house. Can I live with foster care because I want to? I just want to get away from her because she looks at me as a source of money. could I live anywhere else? that's all.

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult situation right now. Ideally home is where you feel loved and safe and supported, and it seems that you don’t feel that way. You could consider talking to your mother about your feelings that you are having. We know sometimes having those conversations can be difficult. At NRS we offer conference calling, where if you call us we can call out to your mom and help support you and mediate the conversation. You can also discuss with your mom how when she mentions you taking money from her, how it makes you feel like all you are to her is money. You mentioned wanting to live somewhere else like foster care. If there is abuse going on at home you may call The Child Help Hotline at: 1800-422-4453. Also just in case you are not aware in most states if you are under the 18 of 18 you cannot legally leave home. If you were to leave home before the age of 18 you could be considered as a runaway. We are not legal experts but running away is a status offense, so if the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. If you need somewhere safe to stay we can help you find a shelter or transitional living program if you call us! We hope this information was useful in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to discuss your situation further feel free to call us we are available 24/7.

• I'm 14 my parents physically and emotionally abuse me. They won't let me see my boyfriend, they ground me and take away my phone, my mom's home is unsanitary and makes me feel depressed, and would like to move in with my boyfriends family

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey There,
          Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we know it takes courage to reach out and we appreciate you taking the first steps into reaching out to us. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. Any type of abuse is unacceptable, and you do not deserve to be emotionally and physically abused. You can report the abuse to The Child Help Hotline at: 1800-422-4453. We know that sometimes making these reports can be nerve-wrecking, if you call us we can help you make a report if you would like. We are also sorry to hear that living at home makes you feel depressed, ideally a home is where you should feel happy. You could consider talking to a school counselor about what’s going on at home, and they may be able to provide you with resources. You also mentioned wanting to live with your boyfriend. In most states the legal age to leave home without permission is 18 years old. If you were to leave home before the legal age your legal guardian has the right to file a runaway report. We are not legal experts but usually if the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. Based on the information you have told us, you may be able to tell the police what is going on and they may be able to find you a safe place to go. We hope this information was helpful in your situation. If you have any more questions or want to talk about your situation more feel free to give us a call we are available 24/7. We wish you the best of luck, stay strong!
          NRS

• I want to die or move,

I hate my life i don't like being around people and my mom and her boyfriend know that very well. Because of my mental issues i have problem with people being around me or just near me, But we are moving to anew house where my mom is allowing all boys to get there own room and putting all the girls into one room. And told her someone would get hurt if i had to stay in a room with 2 to many people. She knows i do not like my siblings but because she wants us to "get along" she is forcing us. It also doesn't make sense because she acts like we are the only ones who don't get along they boys don't either. This makes me so angry and she wonders why i want to die........I want away from this family and if i cant i will take matters into my own hand.

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello! Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline! It sounds like you are in a tough situation! You should welcomed and happy in your own home. You deserve to feel comfortable and have some space of your own.
          You mention that you want to die. You are valuable and you deserve to live no matter how rough your situation is. One resource that might be helpful to you would be the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. You can contact them at 1800-273-8255. They will be able to help you sort out your thoughts and provide you with better aid. Wanting to end your life is very serious and confiding in someone might help.
          You also state that you have some mental issues. You can call NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). You can reach them at 1800-950-NAMI. They would be able to provide you with resources to help assist you in seeing your options of mental health services available to you. If you feel uncomfortable reaching out to them you could always look to a friend or close family member that you trust with this issue.
          Dealing with family issues may seem frustrating, but you are not alone in this. You can always call our hotline 1800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) and we would be more than happy to talk with you about what is going on and possibly provide further resources. We are confidential and are 24/7. A second service we offer is our conference calls. With this service we would be able to do a three way call with you and a parent! We would mediate the call so that it would run smoothly and hopefully find a resolution or the path to a resolution. A third service we could offer you is our messaging line. You can find that at www.runaway.org.
          We are happy to assist you in any way that we can. We are here to help, here to listen.
          Stay safe,

• I don’t feel happy and comfortable living with my mom and siblings
        because im just sick of tired living here it like I’m in the darkest my mom want me to change but she always always explanation me and helping
        it not even helpful if she keep doing that cause that gonna make me feel not comfortable be with her even my older brother and my dad like ughhh I’m just feel I’m locked I wanna leave this house already

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there, thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. You seem to be going through a tough time. Hopefully we can help you out in some way. It seems hard to be living with your mom and siblings. You say you feel locked and that is a tough thing to deal with. If you are having some serious thoughts about leaving your home, we want you to know that you have the right to do what feels best and safest for you. It is not illegal for you to run away and there are ways you can be supported and resources for you. If you would like to figure out ways you can be more supported in your current circumstance there are also resources for that as well. We would love to talk to you further here at NRS. Feel free to give us a call at our 24/7 hotline by calling 1800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat with us live by visiting our website 1800runaway.org.

• When ever I say I’m trying my best my grandparents say it’s never enough and when I confront them and tell them I’m never enough or I try to speak my voice or explain my end of situations they shut me down and treat me like ******** and they would throw things at me and they’d shove me around my grandpa actually hit me across the face and they always scream at me and each other I really hate it here and do not want to stay there anymore

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,
          Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to listen and here to help in your situation. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. Ideally a home is where one feels happy, and where one feels supported and loved, and it seems like that is not how you are feeling being at home. You mentioned how your grandparents throw things at you and shove you around, you do not deserve to be treated like that. What you are describing could be considered abuse, and if you would like to you can report that. If you would like to make a report you may call The Child Helpline at: 1800-422-4453. We know that sometimes making abuse reports can be scary, if you would like to call us we would be more than happy to help you in making a report. You also mentioned you hate living where you are. You could consider asking for their permission to stay with a friend or family member. If that is not possible you can always call us and provide us with your city and stay and we would be able to help you look for a shelter. Just so you are aware, in most states the legal age to leave home without permission is 18. If you leave home before turning 18 you could be considered as a runaway. We are not legal experts but if the police where to find you they would most likely bring you back home.
          We hope this information was useful in your situation. If you would like to ask more questions or just discuss your situation in further detail feel free to give us a call, we are available 24/7. We wish you the best of luck, stay strong!
          NRS

• Okay so...I'm having a really hard time with my mom...she's very controlling and that's difficult to begin with but on top of it I am homeschooled....She gets angry very easily and there have been times where she shoved me against a wall...I just turned 18 so that's difficult what can I do?

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and having the strength to share your story with us. We are sorry to hear about your situation and what you’ve been dealing with. Ideally, home would be a place where people feel safe, loved, and valued, and you do not deserve to be treated that way by your mother.

We understand that you may feel uncomfortable at home, and you do deserve to live in a safe place. If you wanted, you could reach out to your local police station to see if you could file a report and what your rights are, as what your mother has done to you could be considered assault.

We would also encourage you, if you haven’t already, to consider living with someone with whom you feel safe. If you are a legal adult in your state, perhaps a friend or family member could be a support for you. We understand that this may be a difficult decision, especially as you mentioned being homeschooled, but your safety is a priority. Additionally, there may be shelter resources available in your area, if you felt like that could be of service to you.

If you were interested in professional mental health services either for yourself or for family counseling, a good resource could be the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) at 1-877-726-4727 and online at samhsa.gov. Additionally, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is a resource with support groups among other services, at 1-800-950-NAMI and online at nami.org.

If you would like to talk about other resources and support, feel free to call our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or use our Live Chat.
          We hope this information was helpful and take care.
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

• I need help figureing out what I can do.

Last night my dad kicked me out of my house and he even packed my things for me he tried to take ky car away but I left before he could. He said a lot of hurtful things and I didnt like it. Then my mom told me I have to live with her or my dad but I had a protection order against her husband and feel really umcomfortable in her home and my dad doesnt want me. Emanciptaion isnt leagal in my city/state either. I stayed at my friends house and her parents told me I could live eith them but they dont want to get in trouble, and my mom just texted me telling me to meet her at my dads house tonight bu f im scared and dont want to live with either of them and I only have a year in a half till in 18 and ive asked them to let me live with my friends family because they would take care of me just they told me my only options are my dads house or moms house but i feel uncomfortable in both homes

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. This is a very terrible thing to be experiencing and it seems to be affecting you quite a bit. It seems like you have a hard decision to make. It is hard to feel none of the options being presented to you by your parents are ones that make you comfortable. It is understandable to be scared about meeting with your parents tonight considering all that has been going on. You mentioned that your friend’s parents offered you to stay with them but are afraid they will get in trouble. Just so you are aware, we are not legal experts here at NRS so, if you would like more concrete information about your rights and options regarding your circumstance it is best to contact a local legal service or advisor. However, due to your circumstance because there may be some ways to protect yourself and have the option to live in an alternate living arrangement, such as with your friends whose parents are offering you to stay with them. As a youth, there is the risk of your friend’s parents being charged with harboring a runaway but, only if your parents file you as a runaway and choose to pursue that charge against your friend’s parents, which is a timely process. Also, you mentioned that you have an order of protection against your mother’s husband and if it is still active, legally you are not to be around someone who you have a protective order against so, if your mother’s husband lives in the home and comes around, that is in violation of that order and there can be legal consequences. This is something you can communicate to your parents and see how they response and what other options they are willing to compromise with you. Also, if your dad kicked you out without determining a safe and appropriate housing arrangement first, there can also be legal implications for that as well. All of these factors may increase the chances of you not having to live with your parents, if authorities were to get involved though there are no guarantees and as a minor, your parents legally can make some decisions for you such as where you live until you’re a legal adult. If this or is something you would love to talk about a bit further or you have anything else you would like to discuss, we would love to talk to you further
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X