Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I'm 14 and I don't want to live with my parents any more because they are mentally abusive they put me down and call me names and they never show me love or affection I don't want to live there cause I don't have my own room and plus it's roach infested and people in my house smoke weed and meth and I don't want anything to do with drugs or living there anymore plz help me

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are dealing with a very difficult situation at home. We hope you realize that you don’t not deserve to be treated this way, no one does. You really should expect to feel safe and cared for in your own home. What you are experiencing could be considered emotional abuse and neglect. If you feel unsafe, you could consider reporting your situation to Child Protective Services. This can be done by talking with a teacher or school counselor or your doctor. These people will all be trained in how to help you. You could also call Child Help, the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453. Their website is www.childhelp.org, if this format is better for you.
      You talk about drug use in your home. If you want information on how to deal with this or what you can do, you can call SAMHSA (Substance Abuse & Mental Health Administration). Their Helpline number is 1-800-662-HELP (4357). They can talk with you about your options.
      You can also call us anytime. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and we are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week. We can help you report abuse or look for services in your area that might provide some assistance. We are here to listen and help, and we hope to hear from you soon.
      Best,
      NRS

• I don’t like living in my house I live with my niece who gets what she wants and I feel like my parents don’t even care how I feel anymore because when my niece tells them stuff they automatically believe her and start yelling and blaming me and what’s worse is when this happens I can’t even stick up for myself because they’ll tell me to hush and not to say what I feel so I feel like I don’t even have a voice in my own home to me my house is a prison when I was growing up things were different like when I was in the store and wanted something or was running I would get yelled at and would have to take a nap when I got home and when she does it my mom just says oh well she’s a kid or when my niece tries to talk to me disrespectfully I tell her to stop or yell at her then my parents says how old are you and how old is she.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to share your situation with others, and we acknowledge your bravery. So it sounds like you are wanting to leave a certain place and move in with your boyfriend? Is the place you want to move from your legal guardians place? If you would like to discuss the circumstances that are making you want to move, please feel free to call or chat with us so we can listen and provide support.

We are not legal experts here at National Runaway Safeline, so we cannot advise you what to do, and how the law applies to your situation in your area. But most states indicate an individual must be 18 years old to be legally able to live wherever you want or with whomever you want. And we do know that if a legal guardian has a child or teenager (a minor) leave their house, below the age of 18, then the legal guardians do have the right to file a police report about their child or teenager running away. And if the police follow up on this police report and find out a minor is living with someone over the age of 18, then the person over 18 could be charged with the offense of harboring a minor.

To learn more about how your local police would respond to your question, you could always look up your police’s phone number on the website https://www.usacops.com, and then give the police department a call to discuss the situation. If you would like our assistance making the call to your local police department, then feel free to call us and we can call the police on a conference call. Our number is 1-800-786-2929.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are here to help 24 hrs. a day/7 days a week. Best of luck deciding on the best course of action.

• My parents are always fighting and I’m tired of that my dad is always telling everybody he’s the victim and my mom is the bad one I’m 15 going to be 16 next year but i don’t wanna leave with them no more what can I do

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like there's a lot of stress and difficulty going on at home, with your parents fighting all the time. It's completely understandable that you don't want to live in that situation anymore.

If you haven't already, you could try talking to your parents to let them know how you're feeling. It's possible they haven't considered that their fighting has been impacting you so negatively. You could try talking to your mom, your dad, or both of them. If you want some help discussing this with them, we could do a conference call. The way that works is you would call in along with one or both of your parents, and you guys would have a conversation that is mediated by someone on our side. Another option that could help is family counseling. Generally, the aim of this is to help you guys understand each other better and to improve communication within your family. Hopefully, this could bring you some peace at home. We can help you look for free or sliding scale counseling resources in your area, if you are interested.

Whether or not your family decides to do counseling together, individual counseling could be helpful for you as you are dealing with a lot of stress at home. You could start by talking to your school counselor. We can also help you look for counseling resources in your area. If you aren't comfortable with that, you could also try talking about things with your friends or other . It's important that you feel like you have people there to support you during this time.

It sounds like home is an overwhelming environment. Is there a way you could get away from it, even just for a night or two at a time? Perhaps you could go stay with a friend or a relative for a little bit. You could ask your parents to see if this is something they would be supportive of. This is also something we could discuss over a conference call.

If you're interested in exploring any of these options further, just give us a call at 1-800-786-2929. We are 24/7, toll-free, and confidential.

Best of luck to you!
      NRS

• I can't stand it anymore

so I'm 16 years old at the time I am typing this,

4 years ago my mom ended a 6 year relationship with a man and moved on, when I first met him he seemed like a really cool person and I wanted to except him for sure. But once we got used to him and vise versa he decided he's going to completely change the family and made us do tons and tons of chores but I was fine with that but the problem was he had hardcore OCD and everything has to be perfect to him, and he takes everything that is false example is clean dishes and there's ine little dirt in it and I tell him afterwoarda its finished he wouldn't call me a liar and tell me to stop lying and the older I got the more verbal and physical he got, like one time I wasn't failing geography in schoolmy mom had already gave me trouble but this guys comes home from work all mad and tired then comes up to me yells in my face and i smirked (idk why) but the he told me to gone to tk room and I asked why and then he just pushed me to the wall and screamed at me. Every chance he gets he likes to make me feel stupid and he's just so rude and thinks that if hes not right then no one is and he believes that he should doing all this to mke me a man which makes no sense I want to leave but I don't know where to and how to maintain myself in the world I am from Ontario Canada and sometimes I have thought about of suicide but I just don't want to die and I don't want to live with him

Please help I can't be here anaymore

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: http://www.childhelplineinternationa...where-we-work/ .
      You may have already tried talking with your mother about how her partner is treating you and it may be an idea to write it down before you say it. Another thing to talk to her about is maybe getting support from a therapist or a counselor in your area.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

-NRS

• Hello, I want to leave my family, I'm currently 16 and my birthday isn't till July the 3rd I've hold a grudge with my father and so has he simply because we dont get along actually I was thinking about going to bootcamp but my parents need to take me and the last thing I want to do is talk to them. I can't talk to my dad for 5 minutes without us arguing today I asked for glasses for school since I can't see and he got mad because he took it as me commanding him to get me glasses, which I've been asking him for over a week already I told him "what's the point of going to school if I cant see" and he said "dont go I dont care if you graduate or not" I cant live with someone who doesn't care about me, first of all that's neglecting your child which us a crime in the state of texas but overall we've been close to fighting from me running away I just can anymore he comes home and drinks all the time and he doesn't care about anything, tell me if bootcamp is a good idea or not

Comment

• Reply: Hello, I want to leave my family

Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      We are sorry that things are not going well between you and your father. It sounds like it be must be pretty hard for you. Sometimes situations can become overwhelming and frustrating.
      It is unfortunate that you had to hear those things coming from your father. Your feelings do matter. We understand that you are upset by this type of behavior.
      We are not in a position to tell you if boot camp is a good idea or not, only that it is an option.
      The sticking point it seems would be you having to present this idea to your parent’s.
      There are many types of boot camps it might help us to hear what type of boot camp you have in mind.

We are glad that you have not been so upset as to get into any physical altercations or even run away. Taking some time to calm down from a situation can beneficial in not letting things escalate any farther. Good for you for using good judgement.
      NRS is here to listen and here to help. If you would like to discuss your situation and explore some options, please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org
      (Live chat).

We look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I don't want to live with my family. I hardly eat on a daily basis unless I cook for myself, and I get treated as if I'm not apart of the family unless I have done something to make my little sister mad. Whenever that does happen, I get whipped with a belt or with a switch, and usually get marks left behind from getting hit. Anytime I mess with my older siblings, they will hit and punch me. When I mess with my little sister, I get in trouble. I am the only one who ever gets neglected in my family and it's hard for me to deal with it. I don't want to be put in foster care and I have a family friend that I should be able to live with.

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there, Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation at home. We are sorry you are experiencing abuse, no one ever deserves to go through that. You do have the right to report the abuse to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. You can either do it yourself or call into us directly and we can support you through it. It is hard to say the result of reporting, but if you call in you can ask what the process might look like.
          It can be difficult to know how to talk to your parents and express your feelings about how you are feeling. We would encourage you to reach out to a trusted adult, teacher, relative, and friend that you can talk to and potentially help you mediate a conversation with your parents about your current situation. At NRS, we do offer a service call conference calling, where you can call into our hotline and then we would reach out to your guardian and help advocate for you, help you express the needs of to your parents.
          We aren’t legal experts, but we have general knowledge about running away. In most states, running away isn’t illegal, but what is called a status offense. You can’t get arrested for it but it will mostly likely go on your record until you are 18. The police will only know if you have runaway if your parents/guardians file a police report. We can’t say for sure how the police will respond, but we hear a lot that police will take potential places you might be and will actively search for you. If they come across you, the most likely will return you home to your parents. Sometimes we hear that if you are staying with someone who knows you are a runaway and are not actively trying to return you or finding shelter for you, your guardians/or police can press charges against the people who are housing you, with something that is called harboring. One of our main goals is to make sure you are safe, so if you ever seriously decide to run away and need shelter, resources, or a safe place to go you can find safe locations at nationalsafeplace.org or reach out to us directly and we can find local resources in your area.
          We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our hotline ( 1-800-RUNAWAY) and chat are open 24/7.

• Am i able to leave my parents house if 16 and about to turn 17 in 4 months ?

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

As a minor, you aren't able to leave home without your parents permission. We aren’t legal experts, but what generally what typically happens if a minor runs away, is that your parents would be able to make a runaway. You can’t be arrested for running away but if you're found as a runaway, the police will return you home. A good way to find out exactly what the police protocols are in your city, would be to reach out to your local non-emergency police. You can ask them hypothetical questions about running away. If you'd like, we can also look for legal aid resources. they are lawyers who help youth for free or for a small fee, they would be able to brainstorm legal ways for you to move out early. If you'd like us to connect you with those resources please give us a call.

If you give us a call on our 24/7 fully confidential hotline, at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help answer some of those questions you have and could potentially help you brainstorm a solution to the issues you are having. We also have an online chat service available every night that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org) if you don’t feel like calling in to talk on the phone.

Best, NRS

• I AM FED UP WITH MY PARENTS AND I DO NOT WANT TO LIVE WITH THEM ANYMORE. I am a 14 year old girl and I do not like my parents. I have 6 siblings and it can be a living heck at my house. I get so stressed. My mom calls me a b*tch. I just give up. I have closed them out of my life so far not talking to them and when they ask me a question I do not respond to it. I hate them and they claim they love me and they are trying to protect me.... but I do not feel it. I want to move away for a while and live with one of my friends. What do I do?

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thanks for reaching out to NRS via our online forum service. It sounds like you are in a really tough situation at home with your parents. You deserve to live somewhere that you feel wanted and loved.
          You mentioned that you want to move away for a while and live with one of your friends. You can try talking to your parents about this to see if they can get on board with this as an option for you. It sounds like a break from the stress you are experiencing at home could be useful. If you do run away without your parent’s permission, they can file at runaway report with the police since you are 14 and not legally considered an adult yet. While running away is not illegal, if they do file a report and the police locate you, they are obligated to return you home. If you are staying with a friend, their family could also be charged with harboring a runaway.
          You can also try writing your feelings out in a letter to your parents about how you are feeling at home. At NRS, we can also facilitate a conference call between you and your parents. You set the ground rules (no yelling, swearing, interrupting, etc.) and we will ensure these are followed throughout the entirety of the call. We are available 24/7 at 1 (800) RUN-AWAY (286-7979) and are completely confidential. We are available speak with you individually too about any plans you have to run away or what you are experiencing at home.
          Your feelings matter and things will not always be this way. We wish you the best of luck and hope this information has been helpful.

• I’ve been in 4 homes in the past year and I am currently living with my aunt again which is who I lived with last year she has her daughters kids (3) and we have 2 bedroom house she makes me sleep on the floor so the other kids can sleep in my bed gets mad when I sleep on the couch or recliner I’m never aloud to go do anything because I have to babysit and when I do get to do somthing and need money she complains and barley gives me any. I just got a job so I don’t have to ask for any money but she’s finding everything wrong with it and doesn’t want me to get it she’s always rude and makes me feel like she doesn’t want me. I contribute around the house but it’s never good enough (laundry,sweep,mop,garbage,mow,cleaning up after the kids). Is it possible for me to live with my friend and her grandma if her grandma says it’s okay?

Comment

• I really dont want to live home nomore my mom and her boyfriend dont want me there and i really dont want to be there ither is going to be sad cuz of my sister i really love her but i dont think i can be happy home if my moms boyfriend continues to live there i think am going to run away today but i want to try want more time to see if anyone can help

Comment

• ccsmod5
            ccsmod5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for reaching out to NRS and sharing a little bit about what has been going on. It sounds like you are dealing with a stressful living situation right now. You feel unwanted living with your mom and her boyfriend, but you are hesitant to leave your sister so it is understandable you may feel overwhelmed. You deserve a living environment where you feel wanted and safe. We are here to help in any way we can and support you through this tough time.
            If you do decide to runaway it could be good to brainstorm a plan and think of where you might go, who you will stay with, how you will support yourself financially. Also, your mom does have the option of filing a runaway report if you leave home without permission. Running away is not illegal, but if a runaway report is filed you could possibly be returned home by law enforcement. Family or friends you stay with could face legal consequences for harboring a runaway.
            It seems like you are willing to explore other options other than running away because you want to stay with your sister. A strong support system is helpful when you are going through a stressful time, and we are happy to provide you with resources. We are not sure exactly what has been going on at home but if there is any abuse you can call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 or go to their website childhelp.org. It may be helpful to think of some people in your life you could go to for support and a listening ear such as teachers, a guidance counselor, friends or other family members outside of the home. Counseling could be a helpful resource to work through and cope with some of the family issues. You can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you need help finding counseling services. If you want to talk to your mom but feel uncomfortable about it, we can help you come up with a plan over the phone. We can also offer to do a conference call with you and your mom where we can be on the line with you to advocate for your needs.
            We really appreciate you reaching out to us. It takes a lot of strength to ask for help and you are trying your best to figure out how to cope with your situation. If you want to talk more about what has been going on or explore some other options, please do not hesitate to call us.

• i cant live with my parents any more i been ********ing up my entire life and ruined their lives and i cant ever stop my selves and now im starting to get in physical fights with my dad and getting hurt i want to leave i just want somewhere to lay my head at night where i dont have to worry about being a disapointment

Comment

• ccsmod6
            ccsmod6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It makes sense that you don’t want to live in that toxic environment! It isn’t acceptable for your dad to get into physical fights with you under any circumstance and it is actually considered abuse if you are a minor. If you want to talk about what exactly your fights with your dad look like and what could possibly be done about them, please contact Child Help at childhelp.org at 1-800-422-4453. You also might be interested in pursuing counseling. Therapy resources can help people get back on their feet and turn things around. It is a difficult process, but it can be well worth it! If that sounds like something you might want to try, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is reachable at nami.org or at 1-800-950-NAMI. They are an organization that helps find counseling resources locally throughout the country. If you would like to seriously consider running away, please don’t hesitate to contact us at our 24/7 hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY or on chat at 1800runaway.org. We can talk about preparing you for that process and ensuring your safety throughout it.

• i really can’t stay w my parents anymore. i have a lung disease that’s incurable and when they found out i thought they’d care but they really didn’t. no hug. no “it’s gonna be okay”. nothing. and ive been really sad lately because well i really don’t wanna die you know. well yesterday i asked if i could spend the night st my friend’s & my dad sAid no because i was grounded for not going to school last week, but i remember asking him if i’d get in trouble & he said no. so this cake out of nowhere. i was so sad. my friends are honestly the only ones that ever remotely make me feel better & i couldn’t see them. i cried for hours on the couch & no one came out there. no one gave me a hug. i was so destroyed and when i went to my room i felt so empty. that the people that are supposed to always be there for you genuinely don’t care about me. then my dad tried to ask me something this morning & i ignored him & he said “oh is this bc you’re mad at me. get over yourself kenzie.” & i realized he really doesn’t believe me when i say i feel like no one cares about me & all that. my family sucks they’re horrible & i can’t live with them it’s hurting me too much. i’ve been waiting to turn 17 do i can leave but i’m only 14. i can’t wait 3 years and i want to get emancipated but i don’t know how.

Comment

• ccsmod5
            ccsmod5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, Kenzie,
            Thank you so much for reaching out and sharing some of your story. We’re so sorry to hear about what’s been going on. We can’t even imagine how difficult your situation must be right now. It must be scary to have a disease that is incurable and it’s so frustrating that your family isn’t giving you the support that you need and deserve. It’s completely understandable that you would feel sad, hurt, and empty; it’s also understandable that you would want to remove yourself from this situation. We want you to know that you’re not alone in this; there is support out there, even if it doesn’t come from your family. You sound like a strong and resilient young person. You deserve to be loved, supported, and respected, especially by the people who are supposed to love and care for you most. We want to share as many options as we can, though keep in mind that we are not legal experts.
            You ask about emancipation. We’re uncertain where you’re located, but in most states the minimum age for emancipation is 16 (though this can vary on a case-by-case basis). Generally, you would need to get a lawyer and you would need to prove that you can support yourself financially without legal guardians; this may be especially difficult to prove if you have medical expenses that you need to cover. For more information, you can contact a legal aid near you. If you’re having trouble locating a legal resource, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 and we would be happy to locate the nearest one to you.
            It sounds like you want to leave home. In considering this option, it’s important to think about the following: where you would go (maybe a friend or another family member), how you’d get there, how long you’d stay, where you’d get food and money, how you’d pay any medical expenses that come up, and what you’d do if you found yourself in a dangerous situation. Your safety is our number 1 priority, so we really encourage you to think about these things before you make the decision to leave. If you need help locating any resources near you, feel free to call us.
            You mention that you realized your dad doesn’t believe you when you share your feelings. This is frustrating and hurtful. Another option that you might consider looking into is counseling. It can be incredibly difficult for the entire family when a child is diagnosed with an incurable illness; it could be helpful to have a therapist to help you all talk through everything. It can also be helpful to have another adult there to validate your feelings and help your dad take you seriously—and, we hope this goes without saying, you definitely deserve to have your feelings taken seriously. There are also many support groups that exist for both families and individuals; if you’d like to locate support groups near you, you can call the National Alliance on Mental Illness referral line at 1-800-950-NAMI or you can text NAMI to 741741. Another resource for support groups is the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration referral line: 1-877-726-4727; their website is also comprehensive: samhsa.gov. Finally, if you’re having trouble talking with your family about how you’ve been feeling, we do offer a conference call service here at NRS. We would help to advocate for you and help you have a respectful, productive conversation with your dad.
            Whatever option you choose, we encourage you to take care of yourself in whatever way you are able. That’s different for everyone, but here are some options that people find helpful: reading, writing, journaling, making art, hanging out and confiding in friends (it sounds like you have some great friends!), cooking, taking walks, going out in nature…the options are endless, so it really depends on what helps you personally. We encourage you to talk with people you trust, whether that’s friends, teachers, guidance counselors, other family members; while it may not change the situation, it can often be helpful to get those feelings out into the open.
            Thank you so much for reaching out. We hope this was helpful. If you need any additional resources, give us a call at 1-800-786-2929. Our lines are open 24/7 so someone will always be here to listen and help in any way we can.
            Take care and stay strong!
            NRS

• I hate where I live. I only ever get yelled at and my parents make me want to kill myself. I need to get out of here but I'm only thirteen. is there anyway to leave

Comment

• ccsmod6
            ccsmod6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. we want you to know that your life is valuable and suicide is not the answer. If you have suicidal thoughts, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 and speak to someone.
            Also, it sounds like your situation may be abusive, and abuse is not okay. You deserve to feel safe and protected in your home. You may want to consider calling Child Help to file an abuse report at 1-800-422-4453.
            To answer your question, we are not legal experts. However, how it typically works is that running away is not a crime but a “status offense.” This just means that if local law enforcement were to pick you up, and if your parents had filed a police report, they would typically take you back to your parents’ home. If there was abuse in your home, the police would contact Child Protective Services and find shelter for you without sending you back to your abusive home. This is where filing an abuse report is helpful.
            If you are considering running away from home, please feel free to call us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us online at www.1800runaway.org. We are here listen and help.

• I don’t wanna live with my dad no more

Comment

• ccsmod5
            ccsmod5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you're in a stressful situation but without too many details we aren't certain what the best options are. Please feel free to reach out to us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or to chat with us at 1800runaway.org. Hope to hear from you soon!
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X