Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear way hotline my mom and grandma are always trying to control me on how to raise my child and ive wanted to move out for a year now but my mom told me im not allowed to take my child when i have a current place i can move to what do i do i have no car

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are here to listen and will help in any way we can.
      It seems like your main concern is that you want to leave home with your child but your family is not allowing you. We are not legal experts but in most states the legal age of and adult is 18. At 18 you should be able to leave home and go on as you please. However, if you are not 18 your parent or guardian can file a runaway report if you leave. This would be known as a status offense. This typically is not something that goes on your record or has any jail time. What it means is that the police can take you back home if they find you. We realize that you do have a child. One helpful thing you may be able to do is to check with your local courthouse or police department about how they would respond to your situation. If you would like to, we can call out to them together on a conference call anonymously to ask the questions you may have. If you do end up leaving home and are in need of shelter for you and your baby, you can reach out to our hotline and we will try to locate some in your area.
      Again, thank you for reaching out to the NRS. For further assistance with referrals, or to talk feel free to call out to our hotline at 1800-RUNAWAY, or chat with us at 1800runaway.org. Take care.
      -NRS

• I don’t wanna live at home anymore I haven’t really wanted for a long time now as my parents hate me and I hate them they always leave me out like am a lost pup and they treat my sister and brother like there God’s today I smashed my room and my phone as I can’t take it no more all the hate and neglected has built up and am ready to explode please help me and my life make it easyier for me

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are here to listen and will help in any way we can. We are sorry that you dislike living at home.
      Dealing with feeling neglected can be hard. It seems like you are looking for someone to talk to. One option you have is to contact NAMI. They are a National Alliance on Mental Illness You can call them at 1-800-950-NAMI, or text NAMI to 741741. You can also go to www.nami.org . They may be able to talk with you about the way your family has been making you feel. Also possibly seeing if you can talk to a family member or a friend about your situation to have someone to depend on might be nice. You always have the option of calling into our hotline at 1800-RUNAWAY and we can brainstorm some options as well. You mention not wanting to live at home. If you are looking for somewhere else to live other than with your family, maybe talking with them about the possibility of you staying with another family member or friend that you are comfortable with may be an option. If they agree, getting something in writing saying that you are allowed to live with someone else may be beneficial. Also you may want to consider getting the letter signed and notarized so that it becomes a legal document. If you are under the age of 18 or the legal age of an adult your parents typically still have to provide you with your basic needs such as food and clothing even when you live with someone else. While we are not experts on the law, if you leave home without permission it may be important to know that 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      Again, thank you very much for reaching out to the NRS. We can be contacted 24/7 by our hotline at 1800-RUNAWAY OR chat with us at www.1800runaway.org .Take Care
      -NRS

• I feel like my mom doesn’t like me. Everything I do she always shuts me down or says no real fast. I don’t feel any love from her I just feel hatered. I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m 17 years old and I’ve been wanting to move out of my house since I was 15. I can’t take this anymore it just hurts me. She doesn’t care and she’s told me that about a thousand times. My dad lives with us but god forbid he says anything. I think he is afraid of saying something. But it’s like he isn’t even a parent, it’s just like he lives in our house. He doesn’t talk much, or really do much. I mean he works but he doesn’t talk with his family much. I just want to move out and be happy.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are sorry to hear about the way in which your mom has been treating you. It sounds like you are thinking about leaving home. The easiest way to leave home as a minor is with parental consent. You could try asking your parents if they would allow you to stay with other family members or a close friend. Another option that you have is looking into emancipation laws for your state. Some police do not accept runaway reports for 17 year old's. You could contact your local police through their non emergency phone number to ask about their runaway policy. We hope that this information helps, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

• hi, if Im starting from the beginning my parents got a divorce in 2016. its 2018 now and a lot has happened to such as a suicide attempt in 2017. I'm past that in my life but my life is still horrible. I moved out if my moms house march 27th of 2018 and now live with my grandma and do not speak to my mom because of her boyfriend hating me. my father lives close to my grandmother so he thinks he can control me he is refusing to sigh me up for school I do not. want to live with my dad because he only wants to be a parent when it reflects on him. I want to live with my grandma and not have any contact with my father or mother.

Comment

• ccsmod11
      ccsmod11 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this issue. We are glad you no longer consider suicide as a means for coping. We understand you want to stay with your grandmother, but your father isn't willing to sign you up for school. Because we are not legal experts or school personnel, it may be hard for us to provide solutions to your situation, but if you reach out to us at 1-800-786-2929 to discuss with us your situation in more detail, we may be able to provide you referrals to agencies who can.

Best,
      NRS

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thanks for reaching out, it sounds like you have been through a lot and are aware of what you want and need for yourself for your mental health. One option to think about is emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY we are open 24/7.

-NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey.

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• I am a 14 year old boy I don't want to live with my parents the always keep fighting with and beating me and scolding me I am patiently waiting for them to behave nicely with me but now it is high time I don't want to live with them anymore I live in India please do something about me

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, thank you for contacting the National Ruanway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about your situation and will what we can to help. You mention your parents beating you, if you feel like you are in need of emergency help please call the police. Being hurt or beaten by your parents can be scary. You do not deserve that kind of treatment. We are here to stand by you.
      It seems like you have some questions about running away as well. Unfortunately because you live in India we do not have international resources to give you. We apologize for this inconvenience.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• I’m 14 and I have a brother who is 16. I don’t know what to do anymore. I live with my mom since my parents are divorced but usually my dad comes once a week. My Dad doesn’t care about us, he does help us economically but, it’s just not enough. I could care less about my parents having a affair while being divorced. Today my brother and I went shopping with our mom for back to school stuff clothing, shoes, and backpacks . Mom usually gets calls in English ( she only speaks Spanish) , she got a call and asked my to answer. The call wanted to talk to my mom since he mentioned her name, I gave her the phone and told her they wanted to speak with her. She got all mad because I didn’t asked why they were calling her. Then she started to talk about how ungrateful we were towards her ( obviously a lie), she also said that she wasn’t going to buy us anything from now on . She basically told us that we don’t deserve anything and she also mentioned how much she was looking forward to us getting out of the house. She neglected her responsibilities as a mother. It broke my heart hearing those hateful words and seeing my brother sad. She also mentioned that we were going to work at McDonald’s and have no future. I know it’s tough being a mom and taking care of two children but, that’s not our fault. She could’ve just aborted. I know she’s been trying hard to convince herself to take care of us and pretend she loves us. Things are just not working out between us anymore. Truth is, I want to leave the house with my brother and dog. I cant stand how she makes us feel bad about ourselves . i dont know what to do pls help .
    Last edited by ccsmod10; 07-26-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS via our online forum service. Reaching out for help when you are going through a tough time is a very brave thing to do. It sounds like your relationship with your mother is really difficult right now. You deserve to feel loved and happy in your home.

You mentioned that you want to leave the house with your brother and dog. Since you and your brother are under the age of 18, if you do run away and your mother files a run away report with the police they will be obligated to return you home. Additionally, anyone you are staying with may be charged with harboring a run away.

If you do decide to run away it is important to plan for your safety and well-being. At NRS, we would be happy to speak with you about your feelings of wanting to run away or talk through some of the things you are experiencing at home. We are available 24/7 at 1 (800) RUN-AWAY (786-2929) and are completely confidential. We would also be able to mediate a conference call between you and your mother, if you feel that would be helpful. You would set the ground rules for the call (no yelling, interrupting, swearing, etc.) and we would help to ensure these rules are followed. You can also try writing out your feelings in a letter to give to your mom.
      Lastly, you also mentioned that you feel your mom has neglected her responsibilities as a mother. If you ever feel that you are experiencing neglect at home, you can contact Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline) at 1 (800) 422-4453 or go to childhelp.org

You are worthy of acceptance from your mother and have a bright future ahead of you. We wish you the best of luck with everything and hope this information was helpful.

• I don't know what to do anymore. My mom is always yelling at me. She told me that if I run away she'd put me in a foster home right away and ever since I have been debating actually doing it. My brother and my sister no longer treat me with respect they treat me more like a dog that's done something bad I don't know what I could've done. My father is always taking my moms side to and i can't say what's been on my mind because they don't wanna listen to what I have to say. What do I do? I'm no longer happy at home.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are very sorry to hear about the issues that you are having with your family. You don't deserve to be treated that way. We cannot tell you what to do because you have to do what you think is best. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents . The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

• Hello I’m a 12 yer old boy and I don’t want to live with my smile they hate me and don’t care about me they hurt me only and I cry and always end up getting hurt I do t want to be in pain no more I hate living with them they do t care about me and they hurt me only I do things by my self I need advice plz

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation.

It sounds like your family don't treat you very well. You’re always able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with someone you trust, as far as transferring custody. NRS is able to conference call with you if you need help making the abuse report, or we can make one for you. After an abuse report is made, CPS will investigate it.

If you feel like getting out of the house is the best option and you decide to run away, we can explain what usually happens. We’re not legal experts, but from our general knowledge, running away is not illegal. If you runaway, your parents can make a runaway report. The police don't always actively look for you, if they come across you, then they usually bring you home. If you explain to them that home isn't a safe place to be, they don't always return you right away. They're supposed to investigate it first. We offer to call out to youths local police, with youth, to find out their protocols and what happens if runaways refuse to go home. We can also help find runaway/youth shelters in your area, so you can stay safe.

We hope our response is helpful. Also, talking to school counselors and teachers about what’s going on at home could provide you with great support. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website. However, the chatting service is not open 24/7. So the best way to tell us everything would be to just call into our hotline and talk to one of our trained liners.

Be safe, NRS

• what if i’m living with my siblings? is their an actual law stating that a child has to live with their parents until they’re 18? and does it make a difference that my siblings have a temporary guardian ship over me. my mom is forcing me to live with her in another state and i don’t want to go

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your email to us here, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. It seems like there must be a lot going on in your life, especially at home. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

Legally you are a minor and under your guardian’s supervision until you are 18, or are emancipated by a court of law. If you decide to leave or move out home before then your guardians could file a runaway report on you. Running away is not a crime, but it is a status offense. This means the police could detain you until they release you to the care of your guardians. We're not legal experts, so we're unsure about how your siblings having temporary guardianship would play out if you didn't want to return to your parents. We have legal aid resources in our database. While we’re not law experts, we can try to find one in your area, there may be legal ways for you to be able to move out of your house. We’re here to try to brainstorm options with you.

You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website. However, the chatting service is not open 24/7. So the best way to tell us everything would be to just call into our hotline and talk to one of our trained liners.

Be safe, NRS

• Plz I hate it here they ignore me that hate me there talking about me right now and I wanted to go with them to grele and they said no I hate it here

Comment

• Reply:Plz I hate it here t

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• My whole family treats me like ******** and refuses to take responsibility for anything I cannot live here anymore I’m not joking when I say I hate them all I’m trying to find a way to live at someone else’s house preferably where they cannot contact me

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS!

We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on. It’s brave of you to reach out during your time of need.

It sounds like living at home is causing you a lot of emotional pain. We have a database of resources and if you’re able to call in, we can try to brainstorm with you and get a better idea of your situation. We’re not legal expert’s ourselves, but we can look for legal aid resources in your area. They’re lawyers who help youth for free and they may know of ways for you to be able to move out.

Our safeline is open 24/7. We also have a chatting service via our website, unfortunately, it is not always open. The best way to contact us would be to call in and talk with our trained liners.

Be well, NRS

• Please someone help me. I want to get away from my dad and step mom so bad. They are making it to the point where I don’t want to live anymore. If I try to ask my stepmom to find me a therapist and she tells me no. I have tried looking up people but I have no money to pay with. And have no way to get there. I would walk to wherever it is. But my parents won’t let me out of the house. The only person that cared about me was my girlfriend but she won’t resoond to any of my texts and now is ignoring me. I would attempt suicide but they would stop me before doing it. And then make me want to do it more. I have tried to run away but they always find me and bring me back.
        Last edited by ccsmod10; 08-06-2018, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation.

We want you to know that your safety is so very important to us and your life has worth. It sounds like you are thinking about ending your life. It takes a lot of strength to reach out for help, and we are so glad that you did. If you feel this is an emergency you could consider calling 911 for emergency assistance. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

It sounds like your parents does not treat you very well. You never deserve to be talked down to or brought down. It’s completely understandable that the way that your parents are treating you has effected your mental health. We offer a conference calling service, between youth and their parents. If you ever wanted our help talking to your dad about how you're being treated at home, we're always here to make that call with you. While we’re not law experts, we can try to find one in your area, there may be legal ways for you to be able to move out of your parents house. We’re here to try to brainstorm options with you

We hope our response is helpful. We’re here to try to brainstorm options with you. Also, talking to school counselors and teachers about what’s going on at home could provide you with great support. You are not alone in this. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center if you'd like to talk more about your situation.

Be safe, NRS

• My parents are abusive towards me and I can’t stand it anymore. I want to live my life, but with these people as my parents I want to kill myself more. I don’t want them anywhere near me and it’s disgusting. I really need someone to talk to and to help me or I don’t know what I would do. I’m thinking of turning to drugs and alcohol for help.

Comment

• Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about everything that has been going on and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home and that your life is valuable. We understand that it takes a great deal of courage to seek help. You mentioned experiencing abuse which may be reportable against your parents. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at (1-800-422-4453) or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.

If you want to just talk to someone and get support and a listening ear, you can reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. They are there 24/7 to help, as are we.

Stay safe, and know there are people that want to listen and help.

NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X