Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i have an older sister who is 27. she has two kids of her own and married. she live 2 hours away from where my house is. at home i am always getting screamed at and slapped for no reason. they favor my little brother who's 8. they will face time my sister and her kids all the time and act like nothings wrong but hang up and scream at me. my mom threatens to roll me down the stairs and the only person who believes me is my sister because when she was still in the house my mother roled her in the yard and beat her half to death because she said she wanted to be a cheerleader. i'm not aloud to do any school sports such as softball and volleyball because i have to take care of my little brother but when they are home they make me do all the laundry and dishes and go outside in 10* weather to feed my brothers animals. my sister wants to file to get custody of me on my 14th birthday. which in is about 6 months. i want to movein with my sister and my mom is always telling my to leave buti dont kow iif she would ever let me.if i get proof of her doing these things and show it to Child Protective Services can i get taken away and live with my sister?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for posting today! We understand it takes a lot of courage to speak up for yourself. We are here to support you!
      We are glad to you have your sister as a supportive person and that she is willing to help. We are not legal experts, however, we can give you resources to help the process of your sister getting custody of you. Child Help (1-800-422-4453, childhelp.org) is the national child abuse hotline and they can help answer questions such as how to get custody transferred, how to report abuse, etc.
      It seems like you have been through quite a bit in such a young life. You do not deserve any type of abuse or threatened to be hurt. We are so glad you are standing up for yourself and that your sister is helping you. If you do want to file an abuse report, you may speak to someone at school who can help you with that or call us here. We can file a report for you or call with you to make a report.
      Stay strong and reach out anytime! We are 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 and on chat 4:30-11:30pm CT daily

• Ok so as you know my friend Kyle was shot and killed at a party. And as you also know, I haven’t been taking it very well. My heart is broken over it, and my head is killing me with the thoughts about him. Well I haven’t really been doing anything schoolwork based because of his death. I just haven’t been able to sit down and work because my mind is a huge mess, and I can’t focus on anything but him when I have silence or when I’m alone. That’s why I’ve been asking you to hang like everyday. So I can take my mind off of things. But still when I try to go out somewhere, or do work, or even eat. It’s hard... well last night my mom started talking to me and asking if I’ve been doing my work. I told her no, and the reasons why. Well she started getting very upset and saying that I was using his death as a way to be lazy, sleep all day, and watch tv. Her saying that broke my ********ing heart, because he was my friend, and I loved him. I told her never to say that to me again Because she didn’t even know him, and it’s easy for her to say that. Well she got even more mad and told me to clean everything, which isn’t a big deal so I said, ok but why? And she said that because I’m can use my friends death not to do anything then she’s gonna make me work. At this point she’s yelling at me over his death, and I’ll admit I’m yelling too because that’s my ********ing friend. After this she tells me to leave at about 10:30 last night, so I did. I obviously came home around 12:00 And went to sleep. This morning she sat my family down at the table and told them how I was still using his death and how I’m a horrible person, and how if I can’t respect her then I need to find somewhere else to live. So that brings me to my final point. I just can’t be here while she sits here telling me I’m a horrible person and friend to someone who was close to me and killed. My friend said I can stay with him but is that legal? I will tell my mom who I am staying with, and she knows his parents. I am also a 16 year old male, and my mom has made me leave many times saying that I can find somewhere else to live. Please help me, it’s driving mad, and I’m getting to the point where I don’t want to be here anymore.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, so much, for reaching out and posting about what is happening in your life. We are so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It is absolutely understandable to be sad and to grieve and to miss him. No one can possibly know what it is like for you right now. Just in case it would be helpful, please know that there are resources and support available – one place to look for grief support that would be near you is - https://store.samhsa.gov/product/How...ief/KEN01-0104.

Sorry to hear that you mom is not being supportive during this time. To be told that you are using a friend’s death to be lazy and that you are a horrible person are things no one should be told. You asked whether it would be legal for you to live with your friend. We are not legal experts, but from what we know running away is not illegal. You cannot get arrested for running away, it's what's known as a status offense which means that it is something you cannot do because you are a minor. In most states, a person has to be 18 or older before they can leave home without their parent’s consent. If you decide to leave home without your parent's permission, they have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Your mom telling you to leave several times may be an indication that she wouldn’t file a runaway report. However, we have heard of situations where even though the parent tells the child to leave, they still turn around and file a runaway report.

Please do not hesitate to reach out via email, chat and/or phone if you want to talk further about options and potential plans. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

• Hi am 17 years old I turn 18 I about 8-9 months. Still far...

I’m gay.. and my parents do not except that. Although they are separated and I live with my mom she’s constantly verbally abusive and Forces religion on me. We constantly fight. And she gets physical.. I want to see if i can get emancipated. I’m able to provide for myself and have a home I can go to with no issue. im from Chicago.

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thank you for reaching out! It sounds like things are rough at home for you right now. In situations like these it can help to talk to someone like a trustworthy teacher, school counselor, relative etc. We are of course always here for you and some other great resources you may want to check out for support are the LGBT National Hotline 888-843-4564 and LGBT National Youth Talkline 800-246-7743

We aren’t legal experts but can try to help connect you to legal aid services. The organization Chicago Volunteer Legal Services 312-332-1624 clvs.org and Domestic Violence Legal Clinic 877-863-6338 may be able to provide information about emancipation. You don’t deserve to be treated the way your parents are treating you and you do have the right to file an abuse report against your mother. If you want to file an abuse report, you can call Child Help 800-422-4453 and you can call us at 800-786-2929 and we can help you file a report.

Thanks again for reaching out. If you would like to further discuss your situation you can give us a call or get in touch through chat. We are here 24/7 so please don’t hesitate to reach out anytime you need us. Good luck with everything!

• All my life, ive grew up with only a mother and no father. Last year my mom past away and i am now living with my 2 sisters. I dont know what happened to them but they've changed. They beat me for no reason call me stupid, annoying, and they ignore me when i talk. There is no food in the house, sometimes I dont eat for the day. They dont let me have any freedom they take away my items too. So i sneak out the house some times to go to my friends house and i feel like i have a family again. My sisters think im smoking or something bad but really I just want a family but they dont believe me. I am so alone without my mom, now when my sister hits my I have no one to call out for help. Please help me I dont want to live with them anymore. I dont have a legal guardian so it would be easy for me to leave them but i need help

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now, we hope you know that you’re such a strong person. We are always here to help and listen.

We are so sorry to hear about your mom’s passing, it sounds like you two had a really special relationship. It’s understandable that you feel alone because she must have been such a big part of your life. We can’t imagine how much more pain you’re in, now that you’re living with your sister, who abuse you. The way they treat you is not okay, you never deserve to be hit or neglected. You’re able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with someone you trust, as far as transferring custody. NRS is able to conference call with you if you need help making the abuse report, or we can make one for you. After an abuse report is made, CPS will investigate it.

You mentioned that you stay with your friend when you need to get out of the house. Maybe they would be willing to have you live with them? If your sisters don’t have custody over you, you said that you don’t have a legal guardian, then they can’t tell you where to live. Talking with teachers at school or guidance counselors about what’s been going on at home with your sisters, could be a great way to get more support.

We are always here to listen when you need to call out to someone for help. We’re open 24/7, so no matter what time it is, we will be here.

Stay strong, NRS

• Hi im 20 and cant get a house of my own because im not working and cant recieve housing benefit. I hate living at home because of my mams partner and the way he talks to me and treats me what can i do

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, thanks for posting on our forum! It sounds like it is really stressful living with your mom and her partner right now.
      It must be really frustrating not to be able to get a place of you own. Perhaps there is a friend or another family member that you can reach out to and stay with until you can begin working and save up money for an apartment.
      There are also programs called transitional living programs where you live usually in a dorm setting with other people, sometimes in your own room, sometimes shared. A lot of these programs also have skills training where you can learn common life skills for living on your own. Many also have job training so that may be helpful to you as well.
      If you would like more information on TLPs in your area, feel free to call or live chat us. Our free, confidential hotline is 24/7: 1-800-786-2929 and our chat at 1800runaway.org is open 4:30-11:30pm CT daily.
      Best of luck and stay safe!

• Ive been having suicidal thoughts and cannot stay in this house anymore. All me and my sister ever want is to get out of this house and be free. I dont get to see anyone or go out not even my cousins. I get no money. I always get cussed down and fat shamed. I always get called a sket just because i come home like 5 minutes late. Im not allowed to do anything by myself i even get dropped and picked yp from school and my beothet has to go everywhere with me. They wantto get me married off back in my country and they always threaten to mkae me regret answering back and being born in tje first place. I really want to get help and go into care but i heard that it could involve moving school and always changing homes every 6 months and i dont want that. I just want to do well and not mess up my life.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what is going on and how you have been feeling. It takes a lot of courage to seek help, and we are glad you did.

It sounds like you are dealing with a lot of difficult situations/dynamics at home. Verbal attacks and fat shamming are never ok, and we want you to know that you deserve to feel safe, especially at home.
      You mentioned that you have had suicidal thoughts recently. Your life has worth and your safety is always our number one concern. Kids Help Phone is a wonderful resource that could provide a safe place to talk and help cope with your feelings. You can reach Kids Help Phone at https://kidshelpphone.ca/

Another great resource can be a school counselor or teacher you trust. They can help provide support and/or brainstorm options on how to help.

You are not alone and your feelings are completely valid. It takes great strength to reach out for help and we are thankful you reached out

• I do not want to live with my Father anymore? He’s very ignorant towards my cousins and disrespectful to them including me, he swears I lie at everything I do, my grades in school is trash because he’s not on top of them somewhat also my fault, he’s very stubborn and refuses to be wrong or listen to anything I have to say I refuse to stay with him and would like to go live with my mother, I’ve told him multiple times I’m 15 and at the age of 18 (if I don’t leave before then) I’ll be leaving and will never look back or acknowledge I had a father He’s very disrespectful towards me and calls me a jackass, bad person in society, a liar, mumbles a lot of hateful things

I’d prefer to live with my mother, My father does not have a place he moved into my grandmothers apartment while she was in the hospital then stayed here when she died, He sleeps in her room and I sleep in the sofa in the living room, My mother has a house, a job providing a stable check every week and a room with my name on it, my father however does not have a actual job, he works for “himself” and he brings home a unstable amount ignored money every week.

I’m done with living with him I just can’t anymore can anybody tell me what I can do or who I’m can contact to help me get away from here before I run away.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We understand how difficult it can be to reach out to someone you don’t know about your problems. It may be the first step to receiving help, however, so we’re glad that you did.

It sounds like you’re really going through a lot with your father. We regret to hear that he disrespects you and your cousins. Indeed, the things he’s called you are inappropriate, and it makes sense why you’re having so many problems. Hopefully our response to you will prove helpful.
      It sounds like you would like to exhaust your legal options before you run away. Unfortunately, we ourselves are not legal experts, i.e. we are not lawyers. Even if we were, laws affecting youth, families, custody and runaways differ from location to location in the U.S. However, we can give you general information that might point you in a helpful direction.

You might be able to get custody transferred to your mother through the courts. You might be able to use your father’s actions and his financial problems as evidence that he is a worse parent than your mother. This would likely involve going to court with both of your parents. You can learn how to initiate this process if you contact your local courts. If you are unsure how to do this, please call us at any time at 1-800-786-2929. You also may be able to get CPS involved, who may be able to relocate you to a safer location, perhaps even with a relative. You can learn how to get CPS involved in your situation if you contact the non-emergency police in your area. We can also help you contact this resource too if you call us.

Hopefully this message was helpful, and we appreciate you reaching out to us. If you need more help, definitely contact us again!

-NRS

• High I am a 14-year-old boy who lives in NY. I can't handle the stress of living in my family anymore. my parents are divorced and my mom is going to move to my dad's house. I am the older sibling to my sister and whenever anything happens to her I am blamed. I do not have a good relationship with my dad and whenever I do something that is barely incorrect I am yelled at and I cannot deal with this stress anymore, I already go to a psychiatrist to deal with my mom and dad. I was thinking about moving to a very close friends house for a while and I know that they would happily accept me. although I do not know if my mom would approve of it. from the moment I got home, I get yelled at for everything I do and I cannot take the stress anymore. With this stress and the stress of being bullied at school, I cannot take it much longer. I suffer from Acute depression and I have attempted suicide before but I stopped before any extreme and irreversible damage could occur. I have had those thoughts of this more recently and I am trying not to think of It anymore after last time but with everything that is happening the thought keeps coming back and it haunts me mentally. The other family is extremely kind to me and has always been very supportive of me and whenever I'm there I feel more at home there than I do at my mother's house. Would it be possible for me to move there for some time so that I can deal with this issue while I am not under the same roof as my mother and be able to feel happy and proud of my self while I am at home.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that things have been so difficult at home. It sounds like the relationship with your parents is really stressful and you are considering moving in with a friend’s family. You’re asking really important questions about what you might be able to do and, while we can’t tell you what to do, we can share some information that might be helpful to you.

We want you to know that no matter how stressful things get, you are not alone. Organizations like the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, available at 800.273.8255 as well as www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org, are there to listen and support you. Beyond reaching out to them, if you feel the need to talk to someone about what’s going on at home, we’re also a really good resource. We are here to listen, here to help, and if you find that you need additional resources to help you cope with what’s going on, we can help you find those. As you mentioned in your message, you do have the option of leaving home if you feel that you need to. Although we’re not legal experts, from what we understand, it’s technically not illegal to run away, but it is considered a status offense in some states. If you leave home without your parent or legal guardian’s consent, they can report you as a runaway with your local police department. If the local police finds you, they would return you to your legal guardian or have them pick you up. Although it isn’t illegal for you to run away, whomever you stay with can be charged with aiding and abetting a minor or harboring a runaway, both of which are considered misdemeanors. If you decide that living with your friend’s family is best, it may help to talk to your friend’s family to see if they’d be willing to help you discuss this with your own family. Perhaps having a third party there would help answer any questions or concerns your parents might have.

Whatever you decide, know that we are here to support you. You can reach us by phone 24/7 at 800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), every day via chat. We are here to listen and help you explore options you might have available to you. You are not alone. We wish you the very best of luck. Stay safe!

-NRS

• I want to run away but I don't know where to go

Comment

• Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

It sounds like you want to run away but are unsure of what to do next. If you wan to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could walk through your options with you, look up shelters, or search for other resources that you may want or need. Don't hesitate to give us a call so we can find the resources that are best for you.

Good luck,

NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I’m 16 I turn 17 in March I have twin girls and I was wondering how old do you have to be to leave your moms house in Dallas?

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are here to help you in the best ways possible.

The age of majority in Dallas is 18. If you were to leave your mom’s house at the age of 16 or 17, you could be given the status offense as a runaway if they file a runaway report. However, if your mom gave you consent to leave with your children, you could legally leave. Some police stations do not take runaway reports from 17 year olds. You can always check with your local police department to see if they take these cases just in case.

We hope this answers your question. Please do not hesitate to call at any time as we are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. You can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or email us at [email protected]. We are always here to chat if you would like to discuss your situation more. We wish you the best of luck.

NRS

• okay so me and my boyfriend have been together for almost 3 years now and his mom hates me and tries to break us up. my boyfriend gets emotionally abused there at home and he is only 16 and he wishes he can live with me, i know emancipation is a choice i just don’t know if i could afford it. he wants to move out of there and i don’t know what i could do. is there anyway that he could live with me? what if his mom signs a paper saying it’s okay?

Comment

• Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

It sounds like you are in a tough situation and you want to help your boyfriend. We are not legal experts, but because your boyfriend is a minor if he leaves and his mom files a runaway report, he could be brought home by the police. There also could be legal consequences for you and your parents or whomever he stays with for what is called harboring a runaway. If his mom gives him permission then he would be able to leave. You could contact your local police department and ask about whether a signed contract would be enough or if there is anything else he can do to legally leave just in case his mom gives him permission but then changes her mind. Emancipation is also a option but it can be a lengthy and costly process. If you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could look up legal aid in your area so that you can ask about the emancipation process. We could also talk through other options that you and him are thinking about, including the possibility of him getting permission to leave.

Don't hesitate to call so we can get you the information that you need.

NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Hi um my family doesn't want me they are always saying i should move out but i'm only 15 and I don't want to live with my dad because i just hate him he left before I was born then I met him and was seeing him every weekend for like a month then It stopped and it's been a year so I just hate him and my moms boyfriend is worse he is always saying I am not wanted here and that I should kill myself.I think they are both right for each other because they are both psychotic I don't like any of my parents and I realized something when I was at my uncles he is the first person to ever say i'm proud of you and that he'd be lucky to have a son like me and it really felt good to hear that because no one has ever said that to me in my life i'm tearing up just writing this a little I just don't know what to do I just want to get away from my family but I don't think I can if I leave I'm not old enough to get my own place without my parents signing something so I just think I'm stuck living like this till senior year if you have a solution please help

Comment

• ccsmod0
              ccsmod0 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are having a hard time living at home with your mother but living with you father is not a better option. It can be difficult when both of the people that have raised you are not treating you right. You seem like a smart and compassionate person to have been able to recognize the good that your uncle has to offer. Your uncle could be the person that helps you make it through what you are experiencing. Have you tried talking to him about how you have been feeling? Another option is that you can try utilizing our conference calling service that we have. We would hold a medicated conversation between you and your parents. The goal being: coming up with a solution that will benefit everyone.
              Finally, if you ever need a safe place to go, we also can provide you with various resources for agencies in whatever area you are in to best help during this difficult time. You can always call us to talk about what you are going through and receive some support. We provide free, confidential, and nonjudgmental services. Everyone deserves to be respected and loved. 1-800-786-2929

• My mom says the f word at me and to shut up at this point I don't feel like my mom loves me she doesn't even care about me

Comment

• ccsmod10
              ccsmod10 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through such a tough time, but we are here to support you and help you in any way we can.

It sounds like the way your mom treats you and talks to you is hurtful. You never deserve to be talked to that way, it can be considered emotional/verbal abuse. It’s understandable that you feel like she doesn’t love you anymore, people who love each other should not talk that way. If you haven’t already, you could consider reaching out to a trusted adult at your school, for help and support. You could also consider talking to your mom about how you’ve been feeling or having someone else help you talk with them. We offer conference calling between youth and parents, if you wanted our help talking to your mom with you. We could try to have your mom understand how talking to you the way she does, is really hurtful.

Again, thank you or contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online.

We’re always here to listen and here to help.
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X