Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Dont Want To Live With My Parents No More.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is going to sound so stupid, but I just need someone to talk to. I don't want to run away, nor be re-adopted. I live my family, but I have been having suicidal thoughts for the past year, and I just feel alone and depressed. Lately I have tried to stop eating, drinking, and sleeping, and I really don't want to die. But when I get in that state, I just can't think of anything besides wanting to die. My dad is always on me about my grades, and he usually gets really angry and yells, and gets in my face, and I'm SCARED of my DAD! I know this isn't as bad as other people, but I really need help. I don't want to end up killing myself, but I feel like doing so ALL THE TIME. Please help me figure something out!

-A

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to seek help and share something so personal. It sounds like you have been feeling depressed and have continuous thought of committing suicide. It seems like you don’t have a good relationship with your dad and because of his temper you are afraid of him. Talking to someone like a family member or school counselor about how your dad makes you feel may help. At NRS, we offer conference calls between youth and their parents. This could be an opportunity for you to express how your dad makes you feel. Maybe he will be willing to attend family counseling with you. You matter and your life is worth living. You mentioned that you need someone to talk to, our crisis hotline is 24 hours (1-800-786-2929) we are always here to listen and help in the best way that we can. Along with services from NRS, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) is a great resource to discuss suicidal thoughts, and coping skills that you can use to keep yourself safe. Life can seem very overwhelming at times but committing suicide is a permanent decision to a temporary problem. We appreciate you contacting NRS for help, please feel free to contact us anytime. Good luck !

• Hi. I’m 14 and I don’t want to live with my mother. She is constantly yelling at me , and putting her hands on me when she gets angry . She pushes me around and threatens to take things from me. I very upset that all she wants to hurt me . When I cry she thinks it’s because of what I have to do , or what she tellin me to do, but it is being she hurts me and It makes me feel like she doesn’t love me. What should I do?

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes courage to explain a bit about what’s going on at home and the emotional pain you’re in. We hope that our response is helpful.
      First off we want to say that abuse whether its physical, emotional or verbal, it is never okay. It’s completely understandable that you get upset when your mom puts hands on your or threatens you. You do not deserve being treated that way. We want you to know that you do have the right to make a report with Child Protective Services. If you ever felt like making a report or needed help, we are here to assist with that. We understand that making an abuse report can be intimidating so if you like we can call together to provide support. There is also an organization called Child Help, they’re the National Child Abuse Hotline (800) 422-4453. They can also help you make a report but they also help youth find ways to get their custody transferred to a safe adult or family member. Teachers at your school or school counselors are also able to make an abuse report with you, and could provide you with great support.

It sounds like you’ve had to be very strong dealing with the treatment your mom puts you through. While we’re not able to tell you what to do, since we’re non-directive, we can talk about the situation and give you support and help think up options. Additionally, if you ever need a safe place to go, we also can provide you with various resources.

Everyone deserves to be respected and loved. Take care.

• I don't wanna live with my dad he makes me do to much and I am scared of him

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like living with your dad is pretty hard. We are here to see how we can help you. Regardless of who you live with, you should not have to feel scared at your home.

If you are considering running away from home, there are a few things you may want to consider. First, running away is not illegal, but it is considered a status offense. That just means that if your dad or someone else were to file a runaway report with the police, they would return you back to him if you were found. Another consideration is where or who you stay with. You are legally allowed to stay with any adult as long as you have parent/guardian permission. However, if you do not, there is the potential for whoever you stay with to be charged with harboring a runaway, if your dad wanted to press charges. Is there someone you have thought of staying with that your dad may approve of? We are happy to talk through some of these options with you if you want to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We can also look into different shelter options that you may be able to stay at, if you were to leave home.

Another option we have available to people is holding a conference call with you and your dad. This could be an opportunity for you to tell your dad how you are feeling with someone there to mediate the conversation and help you feel heard. Maybe there is someone else in your life that can help you with this conversation as well. Sometimes this is a family member, teacher, or school counselor for people.

If you want to talk more about your situation and some options available to you, please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best of luck!

• I just don’t wanna be home anymore. I just get tired of my dad fake bull******** and he always on my case. Saying I don’t do ******** in the house. When I sometimes cook,clean and do laundry and the funny thing he DOESNT DO ********. I’m so tired of his episodes one day he nice next he’s yelling at you for no reason and then the next minute he trying to be nice. He’s nice to everyone who isn’t his family and treats us like ********. My mom fights with him a lot but they don’t divorce. Honestly, I just don’t wanna go home ever since he slap me. He just always on my case and I always tried to help him but now I just hate him.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline and sharing your home situation with us through our online forum. It can definitely be difficult to live in an environment where you don’t feel appreciated and feel like you’re doing so much of the work on your own. It’s also really impressive that you have been constantly trying to help your dad as well. We’re sorry to hear that things at home are going so rough that you don’t feel like you can continue living there. No one deserves to live in a negative environment where you are constantly degraded and it is definitely not acceptable for anyone to hit you especially you parents.

An option you have, if you feel comfortable with it, could be discussing the subject with both your parents directly about how you’ve been feeling like you’re taking on all that work and feel underappreciated and that yelling at you is really affecting you. You also mentioned you were slapped and you should know that it’s completely unacceptable to have that happen to you and if it continues you can contact the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453 or at their website at childhelp.org, we’re also here for you if you decide to call our hotline to talk about it. It can also be a strain for you to have to deal with how you’re feeling alone and having someone to talk to can be a lot of help for you personally like maybe someone in the family, a counselor at school or a trusted teacher.

We also definitely want you to know that we appreciate you reaching out to us for help since that can be difficult for a lot of people in your situation. We would be happy to talk to you more about what you are going through at home or your specific situation in more detail. We can help give you resources that might help and you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. We’re here to help.

Regards,

NRS

• Im 16 and I don't want to live with my family. Whenever my dad takes me out driving, he always says im nobody, and no one likes me. My mom constantly tells me she regrets having me and that im stupid. My parents expect me to always get straight A's but it's hard with the way they treat me. What can I do? I live in Utah.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through such a tough time, but we are here to support you and help you in any way we can. That sounds stressful to have that pressure for school, and it sounds like the conflict at home is making you not want to live with your family. We want you to know that you are worth it and that you do not deserve to be spoken to that way.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS, but generally it’s not illegal to leave home. But your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there. This is the general information we have about runaway policies, but the policies may vary by each police department. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies, and we also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

If you haven’t already, you could consider reaching out to a trusted adult, relative, worker/teacher/counselor at your school for help and support. Also, what you’re parents are saying to you may be considered emotional/verbal abuse. If you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the treatment you’ve been experiencing. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 or you could call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

There are also many resources that could help you work through conflict with your family, talk through the struggles you’ve been experiencing, or help you with anything else you may need. If you want to talk more about what’s been going on, or if you would like more information about resources, you can call us or chat with us online.

Again, thank you or contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

• Please help My parents drink every night I’ve grown up with this they fight constantly it’s verbal and physical. My mom takes things out on me 24/7 she try’s to turn my dad against me and my dad hates me enough as it is. They told me to do good in school and get a job and I just got all my grades up and got a job and they know that they still think I never do anything and call me horriable things and tell me horriable things. I’m 17 I don’t want to wait anymore I turn 18 next September. I’ve had enough what do I do it’s gotten to the point where I’m so depressed.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are upset about the relationship you have with your mom and how you are treated at home. It must be very hard to have your parents fighting all of the time and it sounds like you are hurt by some of the things she has said to you. She should never pit your dad against you which sounds very manipulative. This must be a very difficult situation and it is very brave of you to reach out for help.

It’s understandable that home life has effected your mental health, and you’re not wanting to wait till you turn 18 to leave. Those feelings are very valid and we are not here to tell you what you should or should not do, but we are here to help you make a safe plan of action. If you want to call or chat with us more directly about your situation, we can see if there are any additional resources that you might find helpful in your area such as safe places to be or anything that you think might help you cope or improve your current situation at home such as counseling services or coping resources.

We are really glad that you reached out to us. It is very brave to ask for help as you are trying to figure out your options. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us here. We are always available to talk about your situation, help you explore your options, and support you in choosing a plan of action. We are here to listen, here to help.

Take care,
      NRS

• I really don’t know what to do. I’m a junior in high school with everything going for me. Decent grades, principal cellist, varsity track, and numerous honors clubs. But I don’t seem to ever impress my parents at all. They don’t really care about anything but themselves. My mom only does things in her own benefit and if i don’t do every thing she asks me she freaks out. She then claims no one does anything to help her, which isn’t true. it’s really only me who does chores and menial work around our house. She will complain about my 3.3 GPA and as I study and do my homework she interrupts and yells at me about house work or something that is not important. What does she want from me? If she really wanted to get something accomplished in the house she would get out of her room and go do it instead of complaining and moaning to me. My dad works, comes home, sleeps, and then is in our garage doing god knows what in the dead hours of the night. I feel like whatever he’s doing is not something I would want to see. I don’t feel connected to either of them. Ever since i was little i knew my relationship with them was different from other kids parents. I’m sick and tired of not feeling like i’m wanted in the house. Why don’t i deserve some normality and stability of my own emotions. I just want a different life.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things are really difficult at home right now. Home should be a place where you feel safe and loved. We are here to help you explore your options.

It sounds like you’ve been having a difficult time with your relationship with your parents. You sound like you are a very driven, intelligent young woman. You definitely deserve to have a normal relationship with your parents. With that said, everyone’s relationship with their parents will be different. From what you’ve shared, it sounds like you would like your parents to acknowledge your hard work in school and just be overall more appreciative of your help around the house.

One option could be to try and discuss how you’re feeling with your parents. You could try this in several different ways, by speaking to them separately, try writing out your feelings in a letter, or even speaking with your school counselor to see if they could mediate a session between everyone. It must be really frustrating and upsetting feeling unwanted in the house.

Other options could be to try and focus on other relationships you have, with siblings, other family members or even close friends. They may be able to help provide you some of the emotional support that you are not currently getting from your parents. You deserve to be loved and appreciated.

If you ever want someone to talk to you, you can always call us too. We also offer conference calling, where you can call us and then we reach out to your parents and all three of us can talk in a calm and productive manner about how things are going at home. You have many options.

If you would like further help exploring any of these options or others in more detail, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling us at 1-800- RUNAWAY or chatting with us live on our website at www.1800.runaway.org. We look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,
      NRS

• I want to die, there is legitimatly no reason to live, I have tried everything. My mom still wakes me up every morning and sticks a ***** right up my ******. (I am a boy). She and I both have tried killing ourselves many times and she constantly tries to kill me. Whenever I go to my dad's I feel so happy and think I can make it, but then I realize I have to go to my mom's house. She has literally punched me and hid me away from other people. It is depressing and this website is what keeps me going, please if I get a reply in less than 24 hours I won't kill my self. Thank you and soon to be, goodbye.
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 10-12-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

The things that you are sharing are very serious, and we wanted to let you know that you are not alone. No one deserves to feel unsafe, especially in their house and when they are sleeping. Given what you have shared, it is understandable that you are having suicidal thoughts. It sounds like you feel very isolated, but you are not alone. If you wanted to speak to someone in person about your suicidal thoughts, you can always contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. they also have a website at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/.

You could also try reaching out to an adult your trust like a teacher, or even your dad. It sounds like your dad's house really makes you happy. You could also try reaching out to a friend. If you are concerned about your safety or your livelihood, you can also call 9-11. If you are under 18, you also have the right to report this abuse to Child Protective Services. You might reach out to Child Help if you would like to ask more about what reporting could look like for you 1-800-422-4453. If you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY we can help call out with you to your local abuse hotline. You also might reach out to RAINN at 1-800-656-4673 or www.rain.org if you would like assistance from expert sexual assault advocates. You so deserve to be supported through this.

No one deserves to be punched or mistreated, and we are glad you are reaching out to help. If you ever decide you want to talk to one of our crisis workers, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or you can continue to utilize our forum.
      Last edited by ccsmod7; 10-12-2017, 10:23 PM.

• I don't want to live with my parents house anymore. I'm 16 and I want to live with my godfather, I hate living with my parents. They barely let me go out, and they're always yelling at me. Everything I do is bad for them and they say that I always cause trouble, that im not like my older sister. What can I do?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your parents and as a result you would like to move in with your godfather. It sounds like your parents don’t really let you go out and they yell at you very often. The fastest way that you could live with your godfather is if you get permission from your parents. You also have the option of asking your godfather if he willing to go to court to get custody of you if your parent’s don’t give their consent. If you decided to leave home without your parent’s permission they could file a runaway report on you. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you to your parents. Although running away is not illegal, your god father could get in trouble for harboring a runaway if he allowed you to live with him without your parent’s consent. If you are interested in exploring your legal options, you could call our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929) for legal aid resources. Please feel free to contact us via phone, email, or live chat if you have any additional questions.

• My parents dont want me to live along side them im 17 and in Illinois i wont lie ive done things in the past to make them mad but my stepdad does not want me here anymore. He pays rent. What should i do? Who should i call i doubt any family wants to deal with me

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like your parents no longer want you at home, and you don’t know what to do. We understand that this is a very difficult and challenging time. There are a few options that you may want to explore. Your parents are supposed to take care of you until you are 18, you could contact 911 and report neglect. You could ask other family members or close friends if they would allow you to stay with them. Talking to someone that you trust may help, for example a school counselor or teacher. If you are interested in leaving home, we could search for youth shelters or transitional living programs near you. Please feel free to contact us directly (1-800-786-2929) if you have any additional questions, or would like resources.

• Hi,
    I legit hate my dad. He went to another country for a while and has done this many times. Everytime he comes back, my mum always allows him to control the whole house again. He always criticises everyone and is a big hypocrite. I dont want to live with him. My mum always starts arguments with me and I feel like its effecting my education. What should I do and where can I go for support.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out to us at NRS.

It sounds like things have been pretty frustrating at home between your dad often leaving the country, his criticism, and arguing with your mom. Have you ever talked with them about how their behavior has been impacting you? National Runaway Safeline offers a family conference call service where we could help facilitate that conversation with your parents with the assistance of a liner. If you are interested, you can always call us 24/7 at (800) 786-2929.
      Since you were mentioning that it has been impacting your education, sometimes people finding it helpful to talk to their school counselor for support. Alternatively, we also have a variety of resources for counseling support, shelter/transitional living options, help with finding a job or completing your education, etc.

Leaving home is a big step. If you are under the legal age of adulthood, running away is not illegal, but if a runaway report is filed, the police have the ability to search for you and return you to your home. Exceptions to this are if your parents give permission for you to stay with another adult, it determined that your parents are abusive (physically, mentally, or sexually) or neglectful, or if you prove to the courts that you are able to support yourself financially and live on your own (or obtain emancipation). We are happy to discuss all of these options and your situation further. We are completely confidential: (800) RUNAWAY.

Best of luck!

NRS

• Hi... so my family life has been pretty complicated for a few years now... about 4 years ago we got evicted and had to live with my nan. Me and my nan have had a rocky relationship as when she drinks she is verbally and sometimes physically violent. She always used to shout at my mum and put her down. My mum a couple months ago left me with my nan and I didn't hear from her agin. Me and my nan had been fine but whenever she has a drink she is verbally abusive and it really puts me down and makes me feel miserable. I feel trapped there. I'm now 16 and I really can't take living there anymore. I had an argument with her in which she had said I've ruined her life and that I've ruined the family and the thought of having to live there makes me feel very miserable.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thanks for reaching to the national runaway Safeline. You’re incredibly strong for telling your story. That takes a lot of courage. It sounds like living with your nan has become pretty miserable, and you haven’t heard from your mom since you left. You also say your nan becomes abusive when she drinks. You don’t deserve to be verbally or physically abused by your nan.

If you feel unsafe living with your nan, making a report to Child Protective Services might be an option. If you are being mistreated, they may remove you and find a safe place for you to stay. Having some support can be good too. You can always reach out to friends or family that you trust. If it’s possible, you may be able to find activities or hobbies that will keep you out of the house.

Again, we really appreciate you reaching out to us at NRS. That takes strength. You deserve to live free from abuse or harassment. If you’d like to talk more about your situation or specific resources, feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or live chat with us through our website. We wish you the best!

• Um hi i don't know what to do anymore my so call parents hate me and i want a family they have made everyone dislike me because i get angry when my parents lock up my clothes and I have to ask for it and I don't get a lock on my door and they just come rigand without knocking and they call me r******** and I get mad at them I never have any privacy they go through my stuff and I don't know what to do anymore they tell me that I need medication because I have anger and that I'm bipolar when I try to ask for new clothes because I lost weight and eighties tell me go put a belt on or when something doesn't look pretty on me anymore and they told me to go get a job or get it I'm 20 years old but they still treat me like a child I have a bedtime my bedtime is at 11:30 if I do not follow it they turn off the WiFi and my phone I guess every time I leave they lock the gate when I come back I have to wait for them I don't get a key to the door i don't know what to do anymore with them
    Last edited by ccsmod6; 10-24-2017, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight. It sounds like you are unhappy at home and feeling like your parents treat you like a child. That definitely seems very frustrating, and we can understand how that may make you feel isolated or misunderstood. It is understandable that you get angry at your parents for locking your clothes away and giving you a bedtime.

At the age of 20 you can normally leave home without your parents permission. In most states once you turn 18 you are considered a legal adult, which means you are allowed to leave and go wherever you'd like even if your parents do not agree. Some things you can consider is going to a friend's house, going to a family member's house, or going to a shelter. If you call into our hotline we can definitely look up some shelter resources in your area to make sure you have a safe place to stay. We can come up with a safety plan for you, too, if you'd like.

If you want to talk more about what you are going through please feel free to reach out to us again. We are 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help in the best way we can. Our hotline number is 1-800-RUNAWAY. It seems like you're feeling very stressed and upset, and we want you to know we care and will do our best to help in any way we can.

• Hi ,
    i dont want to live with my parents because they always fight ,and my mum doesnt treat me like she treats my sister and my brother.
    Ive been thinking of comiting suicide, i tried once but i just couldnt .

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank for reaching out to us! It sounds like it’s been very hard for you at home being in the middle of your parents fighting. It’s also not easy when your parents treat you and your siblings differently.

We are very sorry to hear you’ve wanted to harm yourself. You may be feeling hopeless and that nothing will change, but things can get better. You’ve actually made a big positive step by reaching out to us. Here are some ideas on things you can do to feel better:
      • Talk to an adult: Do you have a counselor at school you can talk to or another adult in your life you trust? Discussing your situation with them in more detail may give you a different perspective on your current situation and some ideas for how to better cope with your environment at home until it improves.
      • Get involved with school activities: If you’re not doing this already, now can also be a good time to get more involved in activities and programs at school to give you a break from your situation at home. Getting involved in these types of programs can not only keep you focused on your future, but it’s also a good way to meet new friends.
      • Talk to a hotline when you’re feeling most vulnerable: If you again feel the need to harm yourself, please reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); or contact their online services www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org. Often, just having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may help you discover a variety of solutions you haven’t yet thought of/ Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may feel like a hopeless time for you right now, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe and stay strong,
      NRS

• I don't like being at my home anymore. I'm 15 and I'll be 16 in December. I cannot get along with my stepmom and my dad doesn't side with me on anything, he only sides with her on problems that she and I have. We live with my grandparents who i love very much. the problem is that I don't want to live with them anymore I'm constantly alone in my room because i feel like there is too much tension to be around my stepmom. she is constantly trying to control me even though she is not my actual parent. my dad gets super mad at me whenever i try and talk to him about things and he tells me that it's my fault that she and i don't get along because i don't try hard enough. but the truth is, is that i can't help but feel like i don't belong. she constantly makes me feel like I'm trash and that I'm the reason for all the arguments. i have a really close friend of mine that i want to live with but, my dad refuses to let me go live there. I wish that he would just understand that I'm not happy living where i am with him and his wife and that i have nowhere else to go to besides my friends. since we live with my grandparents i can't live with them away from my dad and his wife. another thing is that my biological mom and i don't speak she moved to Michigan a few years back and hasn't talked to me since. so i can't go live with her. i have no other family to live with besides the family I'm living with now, that is why i want to live with my friend. I tried telling my dad today that i didn't want to live with him anymore and he told me that if i left he was calling the cops on me. i feel so trapped and i want to get away. i know that my dad loves me but i can't be around his wife. his wife cannot stand me even though she tells my dad that she loves me and that she tries to get along with me, it's not true. she only says that so that my dad sides with her on things. i feel like i have no one there for me and i feel like my parents don't care about my feelings or about my happiness. i feel alone and trapped because they won't let me leave or move out. I've been thinking about emancipation but i don't know how i would even do it considering my dad refuses to let me leave. please, someone, help me I'm at the end and don't know what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are dealing with a difficult situation. You mentioned that you and your step mom do not get along. It sounds like you have been trying to speak to your dad about it and he sides with your stepmom causing you to feel alone. We’re sorry to hear that you don’t feel supported at home. Here at NRS, we are truly here to help.
      We appreciate you sharing this information with us. It takes a lot of courage to speak on how all of this makes you feel. You also mentioned that you are not happy living at home anymore and was thinking about emancipation. We are not legal experts and laws can vary state to state. Generally speaking, if a minor under the age of 18 was to run away without their parents’ permission they could file a runaway report with the police. Running away is not illegal but could be considered a status offense. If the police get involved and you are staying with someone, that person could be charged with harboring a runaway.
      It seems like you want to become emancipated and are in need of information. Again, we are not legal experts, but youth who are 16 years of age or older must be able to prove that your parents (legal guardians) don’t mind if you move out; that you can support yourself financially (and legally); that you are mature enough to live independently; and that it would be in your best interest. If you still need additional information, you can reach out to Legal Services in your state and ask them questions about emancipation in your current state.

Now we do offer a service for conference calling where the parent, the youth, and us would be on the phone talking about what has been going on. This way there can be a mediator in between keeping things calm and productive. If you’d feel more comfortable with doing that, just know that it’s always available. It might be a great way to talk about what you have been feeling. Something constructive so that it certainly opens the lines of communication. Of course this doesn’t guarantee that your father and step mom will see everything your way, but it might help with setting up some compromises.

If you want to talk through your plans and other options, our hotline is available 24/7. You can call us any time at 1-800-786-2929 to talk of if you need resources or support. We hope to hear from you soon and wish you all the best.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X