No announcement yet.

being kicked out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was kicked out earlier today by my mother with my boyfriend we've been paying rent for three months and she's threatening to call me in as a runaway if I was kicked out and I pay rent would that make me a runaway

Comment

• ccsmod11
      ccsmod11 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out to us.

It sounds like you are in a really hard situation. It is not ok for your parents to kick you out and this can be considered neglect. Your parents are responsible for you till you turn 18. We are not legal experts however generally speaking if your parents are to file a police report the police can bring you back home and whoever you are to staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway. While you did not runaway it can be hard to prove that your parents actually kicked you out. Talking to lawyer can be helpful. You can contact www.lawhelp.org for legal aid resources. If you are 16 or older there may be a chance you could get emancipated. If you call us at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) we can help look up more information about emancipation for you, listen to you, explore your options and provide any resources.

You are doing great by reaching out for help. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

Best,
      NRS

So a couple nights ago I got kicked out of my house and I didn’t know what to think there was so many things going through my head so I just started crying. My uncle took me in and I’m staying at his place and since those couple nights ago I didn’t wanna go back home cause I’m not ready to but I don’t know the best way to say I’m not ready to go home. Keep in mind that I’m 14 and I wanna try to be on my own and support myself and start fresh.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing your difficulty in approaching the subject of your future living situation. It is very hard to be told to leave your home at the age of 14. You don’t deserve to be treated that way.

It sounds like you are asking how to communicate with your uncle and family. It seems like the most important thing at this point is to have good communication. Perhaps you could reach out to a counselor or mediator to approach this. NRS does offer mediator phone calls with parents and the child. It seems the first step might be to ask your Uncle for more time but then the bigger issue would be how to discuss what is going wrong with you and your parents. It is admirable that you want to take care of yourself and live independently but you would need to have a job to support yourself. You could try to go through the legal process of emancipation but you must be able to prove you can support and live on your own. Generally the age to be able to work is 16.

It is great that your uncle has gotten you out of immediate danger but you are right that communication needs to start happening to better your situation. Perhaps you could start to journal out what you want to talk about before you approach your family. Getting your thoughts down on paper is a great way to make sure you are ready to discuss real issues rather just general things. You want to get to the heart of what you feel is going wrong. It is great to get families back together but there are also transitional living programs if you think that is impossible. Also you want to keep in mind that school has to be a part of the picture.

Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help. You really seems to understand the communication is the key. If you would like to try mediation or to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We are here at the National Runaway Safeline 24/7 to listen and here to help.

My mother kicked me out of her house then said she reported me as a run away can she do that

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your mom. However, your mom kicking you out of the house can be considered neglect and you do have the right to report this to child protective services. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

I’m 15 and I been bullied my whole life but my family are the ones who do it they called me fat and made jokes about my dad not wanting me etc for a lot of years me and my mom got into a argument and she told me multiple times I have to leave and all my sisters did too I left stayed at my best friends house for a few and then I came back them my sisters told me to leave and I noticed I wasn’t feeling welcome at home I just don’t know what to do and now there telling me to leave after school tmr but idk where to go I need help I live in Massachusetts I’m just tired of feeling empty and alone and unwanted idk where to go and idk if I will have to sleep outside I need advice

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

We are so glad you reached out for help. It sounds like you have been going through a lot at home. You do not have to go through any of this alone and we are here to help. You deserve to live somewhere you feel wanted and safe, so it is understandable you would be feeling exhausting having to deal with this.Your mom has an obligation to take care of you and it is not okay that she is telling you that you have to leave. Being kicked out before you turn 18 can be a case for neglect. One option is to report this to child protective services. This would mean that a caseworker would be assigned to your case to make sure that you are taken care of and have somewhere safe and stable to live. You can call the National Child Abuse Hotline for more information about how this might go and they can help you make the report. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 and childhelp.org.

You mentioned that you were staying at your friend's place. It might be a good idea to talk to your friend's parents about staying their long term. We can also help connect you with a youth shelter or housing program that can provide you with somewhere to stay and other support. You can call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at 1800runaway.org if you want to talk more about what has been going on or you would like to explore your possible options more in-depth.

We look forward to hearing from you soon,
      NRS

My parents always say there going to call she and kick me or to pack my stuff and leave but I am the only child that helps I have straight a’s I don’t get into trouble but they are tried of me trying to better my future i wanted to get a job I’m 16 and old to be working to support myself because they don’t give me anything to help myself out including clothing and school stuff. They are trying to kick me out and if i leave i am gone but they have done this before and then threaten to call the cops. So I’m confused if they kick me out and then call the cops on me after saying I ran away when I really didn’t and they force me to leave . What happens because I have a place to stay my loving boyfriend family I have been dating for 3 years and his family . What will happen is that even legal that they can come get me for a run away when I forced kicked out. I live in mississippi

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

We really appreciate you reaching out and telling us some of what's going on, it takes a lot of bravery to do so. It sounds like you are really determined and hard-working and that's something to be proud of! Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor (you are considered a minor in the state of Mississippi until you are 21). If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your mom. However, your parents kicking you out of the house can be considered neglect and you do have the right to report this to child protective services. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

Hi I'm 17 and I live in Alaska I am not citizen of the United states but I am a permanent resident. My mom recently kicked me out she gave me all my documents and cut me off her phone Bill's so I can't make or get calls. There as Bern physical abuse and mental abuse in the past. For the present it's now only verbal/mental abuse. As I said before she have just recently kicked me out, If I choose to leave will I be reported as a runway. Also not being a USA citizen but a permanent resident in Alaska am I able to be emancipated with a green card and without parental consent.

Comment

Hi I'm 17 and I live in Alaska

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are sorry to hear that you have been kicked out of your home by your mother. You don’t deserve to be abused or mistreated. It’s not your fault that this is happening. Putting a minor out of the home is considered neglect and is illegal to do. You can inform the police that mom put you out in case she files a runaway report. You also have the right to report any of the abuse you suffered. From her. Hopefully you have a safe place to go but if not you can reach out to NRS through chat and we can try to locate emergency shelter for you.
      As far as your legal status in regards to your green card you might consider looking for an immigration lawyer or legal aid service on line for information.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

So a friend of mine was just kicked out her parents house so I volunteered to go pick her up but when I got there her mom came behind my car and started to get my license plate how much trouble can I get in for that?

Comment

• ccsmod4
          ccsmod4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. for Since you said that your friend was kicked out of their home by their parent’s, if they are an minor then this might be considered neglect.
          It seems there is a lot that your friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them but also keep from getting into any legal situation.
          You might consider asking your friend if they want to file an abuse report with CPS and contact the police to inform them what has happened in case the parent’s try to file a runaway report. There are laws against aiding or harboring a runaway.

It’s great that your friend has your support and concern, especially since this time is probably quite difficult for them.
          Being abused is not the fault of your friend. They don’t deserve to have this happen to them.
          There are laws to protect minors against abuse. If things do escalate and your friend would like to file an abuse report they may do so by contacting Child Help USA at: 1-800-422-4453. We are here as support to help both you and your friend through this challenging time.
          NRS can also assist with filing a child abuse report and assist with trying to locate a safe emergency shelter. We can also assist with trying to locate family crisis counseling services through our data base. Showing your friend support by reaching out to NRS says a lot about your character. They are lucky to have you as a friend.
          NRS is here to listen and here to help.
          Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of.

We can best help by phone or chat. If you or your friend would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
          NRS

Hi? So I'm trans and I'm a minor I'm worried about getting kicked out if I say anything do you think there are any resources or places to stay if I do I know if I get kicked out my relatives won't help me out and does kicking someone out count as neglect?

Comment

• ccsmod13
          ccsmod13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there, thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little of what is going on.

We know that isn’t always easy and it’s brave of you to do. That sounds like a stressful situation for you to be in and could possibly be dangerous. We’re not legal experts, however, kicking out a youth you are legally required to care for, like parents/legal guardians kicking out their child, would be considered neglect. However, it could be difficult to prove, as it mostly comes down to a case of he said, she said. A resource that could help you in case you do get kicked out would be National Safe Place. They could help you find a safe place to go and a shelter by either texting 44357 with SAFE & your location, or visiting their website at nationalsafeplace.org. We can also help connect you with some emergency and long-term shelters in your area if you are able to call our hotline.

Having a support system can be really important while you navigate challenging situations. Some resources we have found helpful for LGBTQ+ issues are The Trevor Project, which can be reached at thetrevorproject.org, or 1-866-488-7386 as well as Trans Lifeline at 1-877-565-8860 or at translifeline.org. Like we said earlier, reaching out isn’t always easy and we’re so glad you did. If you need any more support, or have questions more specific to your situation, please feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929), we are available 24/7 and we’re completely confidential. Hopefully, this helps give you a little clarity with your situation and helps you make a more informed decision. We wish you the best of luck!

I'm 15, and my sister, (which is my legal guardian) she was convinced I was talking crap about her. I wasn't! I was venting. She thinks I told my brother I said that she treats me like crap. I meant like verbally. And I spent the night with my brother. I don't know what to do. What I got from it was she doesn't wanna see me back.

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out! We appreciate you seeking help during this difficult time.

To begin with, you mentioned that you were venting to your brother about the verbal abuse your sister puts you through, and she misinterpreted it, and now she might not want you to go back with her. It must be tough to be in that predicament, you’re really brave for reaching out for help. An option to consider would be to approach your sister along with your brother, and let her know what she misunderstood out of your situation. Opening up to her about your feelings, may clear some tension you have been bottling up from what she’s said to you, and you both can talk out your differences.

Along those same lies, you may also explore the possibility of waiting for these to cool off with your sister, and can ask your brother he could possibly talk to your sister about staying with him for a couple of more days. If you feel like you might need to talk to someone in the future about anything that’s going on at home, feel free to reach out to us directly at 1800) 786-2929. . We are 24/7, confidential and here to help! Thanks again for being so honest. Best of luck!

like she kicked me out and then she tried to lie and say she didn't the advice is good. but if you know my sister, it's difficult to get her to think differently if she already has it in her head. that's where my problem lies.

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello! Thank you so much for replying.

We discussed earlier to maybe consider approaching your sister to discuss the miscommunication that occurred, but you're stating she's difficult to get through. Another option to explore, would be to talk to your brother, and with your sister's approval, stay with him a couple of days while everything settles at home. If you want to discuss this further, please feel free to reach out to us over the phone at 1800) 786-2929. Best of luck!

Ok so ... I’m a lesbian i also might be pan romantic. But I feel like my dad will kick me out . Or hurt me . When I come out . What should I do

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home including neglect, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your dad how you feel about how you identify. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
          Take care,
          NRS

If my mom kicks me out at 15 and my friends parents are ok with taking me in and living there will they get in trouble if they take me in after my mom kicks me out ?

Comment

• ccsmod0
          ccsmod0 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

We are glad you reached out. If your parents kick you out of the house, it would be good to have documentation of that. There is a chance that you leaving the house before you are the age of 18 your parents could still file a runaway report on you. If they know where you are located, they could send the police to pick you up and bring you home. There is also a chance that your friend's parents could be charged with harboring a runaway. You can call your local nonemergency police number to ask them the specific laws in your area and how their police department would address that situation. You can also always reach out to us directly to discuss your situation in more detail.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Best of luck,
          NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X