No announcement yet.

being kicked out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was kicked out earlier today by my mother with my boyfriend we've been paying rent for three months and she's threatening to call me in as a runaway if I was kicked out and I pay rent would that make me a runaway

Comment

• ccsmod11
      ccsmod11 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out to us.

It sounds like you are in a really hard situation. It is not ok for your parents to kick you out and this can be considered neglect. Your parents are responsible for you till you turn 18. We are not legal experts however generally speaking if your parents are to file a police report the police can bring you back home and whoever you are to staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway. While you did not runaway it can be hard to prove that your parents actually kicked you out. Talking to lawyer can be helpful. You can contact www.lawhelp.org for legal aid resources. If you are 16 or older there may be a chance you could get emancipated. If you call us at our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) we can help look up more information about emancipation for you, listen to you, explore your options and provide any resources.

You are doing great by reaching out for help. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

Best,
      NRS

So a couple nights ago I got kicked out of my house and I didn’t know what to think there was so many things going through my head so I just started crying. My uncle took me in and I’m staying at his place and since those couple nights ago I didn’t wanna go back home cause I’m not ready to but I don’t know the best way to say I’m not ready to go home. Keep in mind that I’m 14 and I wanna try to be on my own and support myself and start fresh.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing your difficulty in approaching the subject of your future living situation. It is very hard to be told to leave your home at the age of 14. You don’t deserve to be treated that way.

It sounds like you are asking how to communicate with your uncle and family. It seems like the most important thing at this point is to have good communication. Perhaps you could reach out to a counselor or mediator to approach this. NRS does offer mediator phone calls with parents and the child. It seems the first step might be to ask your Uncle for more time but then the bigger issue would be how to discuss what is going wrong with you and your parents. It is admirable that you want to take care of yourself and live independently but you would need to have a job to support yourself. You could try to go through the legal process of emancipation but you must be able to prove you can support and live on your own. Generally the age to be able to work is 16.

It is great that your uncle has gotten you out of immediate danger but you are right that communication needs to start happening to better your situation. Perhaps you could start to journal out what you want to talk about before you approach your family. Getting your thoughts down on paper is a great way to make sure you are ready to discuss real issues rather just general things. You want to get to the heart of what you feel is going wrong. It is great to get families back together but there are also transitional living programs if you think that is impossible. Also you want to keep in mind that school has to be a part of the picture.

Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help. You really seems to understand the communication is the key. If you would like to try mediation or to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We are here at the National Runaway Safeline 24/7 to listen and here to help.

My mother kicked me out of her house then said she reported me as a run away can she do that

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned to your mom. However, your mom kicking you out of the house can be considered neglect and you do have the right to report this to child protective services. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X