No announcement yet.

being kicked out

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeine. We're sorry to hear about everything you have been going through and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. We're sorry also to hear about the miscarriage and hope you have someone to talk to during this difficult time. We are here 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929 if you ever need someone to talk to or we could possibly look up counseling services or support groups surrounding that issue in your area if you ever wanted.

A couple of options would be to reach out to your local police and explain your situation. It is illegal and considered neglect for a parent to kick a minor out of the home, so you could try explaining that to them and ask about what you can do legally. It could help to have a trusted adult with you when you call if you feel like that would make you more comfortable. We can also help you look up your local police non-emergency number if you need that.

Another option would be reaching out to Child Help to report the neglect and/or try to have custody transferred to someone else. They can be reached at 1-800-422-4453.

We are not legal experts, but generally speaking emancipation means proving in court that you are able to take care of your self. In some states you may need to get a lawyer. If you give us a call and let us know what your state you're in, we could give you more information and also look up legal aid for you.

Stay safe, and let us know how we can best help.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

So I've been kicked out two times (with many other threats to do so again) and on both times I've been taken to the detention center in Bryan Texas for 24 hrs. (where I live). Both times I've been kicked out I've been verbally told to get out and both times things have gotten physical. I want to get a job so I can eventually get emancipated, but I am 16 years old (birthday in June) and my mom has said I can't I don't know what to do and need to get out what should I do?
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 09-08-2018, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Reply: So I've been kicked out two times ....

Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
        We are sorry that things are not going well for you. It sounds like you’ve gone through a lot at home right now and you are not sure what to do about it . We’re glad you reached out.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of.
        Right now things might seem a bit confusing for you, but you are not alone in this.
        We want you to know that we are here as support you during this time.
        NRS is here to listen and here to help.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

What r my rights if my mom and her husband kicked me out at 15? Do I have to come home if she says to? Can my grandparents legally care for me?

Comment

• ccsmod12
            ccsmod12 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, so much, for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your mom and her husband kicking you out. At 15, if you are kicked out of your home, you would be considered a "throwaway," which is generally considered neglectful on the part of the parent. If you are in that situation, we encourage you to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 to talk more specifically about your situation and see if we can connect you with shelter resources or transitional programs.

It sometimes happens, though, where a parent kicks a child out, and then turns around and files them as a runaway. If a parent files a runaway report, and the youth is located by the police, then the police would tell the youth to return home.

One way for your grandparents to care for you is with the permission of your parents. If your parents allow it, then no legal documentation or proceedings are necessary. If your parents would not give you/your grandparents permission, then having your grandparents become legal guardians or have custody would be a process that an attorney would need to be involved in. We would be happy to look up resources - whether that is an attorney or a safe place to go - or to talk in more detail about your situation, what options there might be and help establish a plan.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
            NRS

I need help. My boyfriend who currently lives in st. louis, MO and I live in iowa city, IA. He is 16 and about to be 17. He currently lives with his mom and is constantly being kicked out and left with no where to go. I want him to come and live with me. I am 19 and have a place he can stay. We are worried his mom might press charges on me, and report him as a runway, even though she kicks him out very often. I need to figure out what I can do legally and if theres a way ill be able to register him for school and such things if he is able to come and stay with me in the future. please let me know

Comment

• ccsmod3
            ccsmod3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,
            Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like your boyfriend is in a bad situation and you want to help him get to a more stable living situation. While we aren’t legal experts, there are a few things you should be aware of. In MO, the age of majority is 18. This means that until your boyfriend is 18, his mom (or legal guardian) can decide where he lives. It also means that legally she is required to care for him. Kicking him out and leaving him with nowhere to go would be considered neglect. If this happens again, he or you could contact the police who could require her to take him back in and may also contact child protective services.

In your post, you asked if he could come and stay with you. Because he is under 18, if his mom doesn’t consent then he would legally be considered a runaway. If his mom filed a runaway report, the police could pick him up and bring him back to her. If she were willing to give her permission, he could legally live with you and also register for school. Many schools do require a parent or guardian’s signature to register for school so that could be a barrier. If his mom consents to him living with you, in many cases, she could sign a “third party custody” form that would allow you to register him for school.

If you’d like to talk to someone about your options or if your boyfriend needs help after having been kicked out, either of you would be free to call our hotline. That number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) and is available 24/7.

-NRS

I'm 15 years old and have a son. My mom just kicked me out the house but wont let me take my son what can I do? I want to see if i can get emancipated

Comment

• ccsmod9
            ccsmod9 commented
            Editing a comment
            It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process. Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need legal resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X