No announcement yet.

A Mom needs advice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ccsmod5
    Re: update on situation

    Thanks for getting back to us.

    As far as trying to find ways for youth to get to your home, the only agencies that we know that help with transportation are Salvation Army and Catholic Charities. Both of these resources assist people with emergency funds and might be able to help the youth get assistance with travel. They might have an issue with the person being 17 but it’s worth a shot.

    Here are the two agencies closest to the youth:

    Salvation Army

    Catholic Charities

    It’s great that you’re looking out for this person and we hope you find the resources and help she needs. Best of luck.


    Leave a comment:

  • Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Update on situation

    Thank you so much for your responses to all my questions. I was put in contact with my local Judge of Probate, who is helping me with the process of having her emancipated and getting me guardianship. My only problem now lies in the fact that I cannot get her from point A where she lives in Waterbury Ct. to point B which is my home on the other side of the state. She has been confined to her house by her parents. I cannot legally go pick her up. Probate and state police have told me she must find a way here herself. Are there any agencies that would transport her if she were able to leave the house and go to a pick up point? I know I may be grasping at straws but I have come so far in the past 7 weeks to help save her and feel as though it has been all for nothing because I can't physically get her here. This recent contact with probate is her salvation and the final step towards her freedom from abuse and neglect. I will not give up, but I am exhausted. Thanks again for all your help.

    Leave a comment:

  • ccsmod6
    re: I didn't realize...


    Thanks for reaching back out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like DCF is involved and concluded that the teen will remain in her household. You mentioned that you have spoken to the Children’s Law Network. Was this agency able to provide you with any legal advice? It seems like it may be a little difficult to get her removed from the home but not impossible. Since DCF has been contacted and nothing has been done, maybe the courts can be contacted directly to hear the case. We are unsure as to what city and state you reside but maybe your local court house can be contacted for more information. If you would like additional legal aid referrals, we can provide those as well.

    We hope the information provided helps. It may be easier to get assistance by calling our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is toll-free, confidential, anonymous and available 24/7.

    We would like to you wish the best of luck. You sound like a remarkable individual who would like to see this youth in a safe environment.


    Leave a comment:

  • Unregistered
    Guest replied
    I didn't realize...

    I didn't realize my question had been seen and answered. That's why this is so late. Since my first post, a few things have changed. DCF went into the home for a meeting and the family was told that they would not get involved. The girl did tell them she felt unsafe there and did not want to stay. I was told that DCF could bring me to court if I tried to have her move in with me, but only if they were considering removal, which they are NOT. I have been working frantically for over a month to get this girl out of this potentially dangerous environment. I cannot afford a lawyer but have spoken to the childrens law network. Who told me she should not have been sent home when she was here in town with another friend. Yet she was brought back. This girl is in constant contact with my family and I really fear for her life. At one time mom was more than willing to write a letter of permission but has since changed her mind. I don't want to get arrested but I need to save her. any advice is much appreciated.

    Leave a comment:

  • ccsmod4
    A mom needs advice

    And thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
    It sounds like you would like to provide a safe place for a 15yr old youth caught in a terrible situation of being abused in her home.
    Is that right?

    We understand that you have contacted your local police about the situation. Good for you for taking a proactive stance in trying to do right by this young teen.
    Have you by chance contacted anyone from the child protective service agency where the abuse report was filed?
    They may not be able to give you direct information regarding the child’s particular case but they should be able to advise you on the procedures to become a foster parent for a youth in this kind of situation.

    Sometimes when a youth is removed from the home they could be placed with another relative or adult friendly to the situation. Each situation is different so that’s why it might be best to contact the county or state child protective service agency.
    Does that make sense?

    We applaud you for having such compassion and empathy for what this child must be going through. If you would like to speak with one of our crisis liners about this situation you are welcome to call our 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) 24hr toll free crisis line.
    To find out the CPS agency that services the county or state for which the youth resides you can contact:
    Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453

    Thank you again for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
    Take Care

    Leave a comment:

  • Unregistered
    Guest started a topic A Mom needs advice

    A Mom needs advice

    I am 52 year old mother and grandmother with a frustrating situation on my hands. A 15 year old friend of my family is living in a very abusive home with her mom an opposite sides of the state (Ct.) I wish to take this girl into my home and care for her and give her the safe environment she deserves. DCF has been contacted about the abuse, I have spoken to my local police about it but can't seem to get any advice on whether I can legally do this. Any advice would be appreciated.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp